Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

colorings and flavorings in cat food???

BEAR_NZ
April 24th, 2005, 04:26 AM
I was appauled last week when i looked at the ingredients on several different brands of cat food...as they listed that they contained FLAVORINGS
and COLORINGS which i just couldn't believe.I refuse to eat flavorings and colorings myself, and i certainly would not feed these foods to my moggies. Does anyone out there make their own pets food? any suggestions or observations? any brands which we should look out for or avoid?It would be nice to think that we could make our babies food a little safer and more natural.

Beetlecat
April 24th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Blame consumers for colouring/flavoring catfood and dogfood. We've been conditioned to only want to look at and/or eat things that have a good texture and are plaseing to the eye. I don't know how you can get away from eating any flavorings/colourings since they are in almost every kind of food product sold nowdays.

Except in Sweden, over there, food colouring is illegal. Maybe you could import some catfood from over there... I'm afraid I can't help you with that ;)

You could put your cat on a raw diet, but it involves alot of time and effort and time to feed the right foods in the right amounts for your cat, otherwise you could damage its health even more.

Lucky Rescue
April 24th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Not too many cat food manufacturers still put colouring in the food. This is done ONLY to appeal to the owners, since the cats can't even see most of the colours in it and wouldn't care if they could.

There are many brands of cat food that have NO colouring or artificial ingredients. You can find them at pet supply stores.