Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how do you stop cats clawing at couches?

BEAR_NZ
April 24th, 2005, 02:49 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone could advise me as how to stop our one year old cat clawing our couches?

amber416
April 24th, 2005, 04:33 AM
When we first brought our cat home from the shelter she really liked to scratch the corner of the couch. We just started telling her "no claws" and picking her up when she started and taking her over to her scratching post. She actually learned pretty quickly and now only uses her scratching post. After she learned it, we realized the "no claws" request works nicely when we're playing with her too...saves our hands and arms from being shredded the way they used to be. :)

CyberKitten
April 24th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I make sure right from the beginning that the kitten has a scratching post (I've been thru this a few times, lol) and when she goes to scratch something you do not want her scratching (and it is best not to allow her to scrach anything of value), I take her right away to the scratching post. I also put catnip on the post and a sisal carpet that is hers alone. She knows her carpet that way and if she tries to sratch other carpets, I make hissing sound like her mother would make at her. (You have the added burden of being mama to her - I did that with 4, it is a lot of work and you are in my thoughts!).

Bottle Babies have special needs as orphans, they tend to want to chew more since they are used to suckling on a human's clothing (mine were and a few others I have known did that) but you probably already know this. Have you read the kittenrescue site, I think it is kittenrescue.org but it may be another domain. There is also kitten-rescue.com
and this page:

http://www.forgottenfelines.com/new/pages/foster/botbabies.html

Giving them lots of attention and alternatives to your furniture. Toys, feathers, ping pong balls, play mice, - all things that divert their attention.

Cats do need to scratch tho so that is where the scratching post comes in. Even at 4 wks , they can learn to use it. Show them how in much the same way you showed them how to use the litter box.

Also, clipping their nails once a week is also a good idea. If you start when theyare babies, they tend not to mind. You may have an advantage here with a bottle baby - they are more used to you rubbing and washing them already.

I know what bringing up bottle babies is like and you do develop a special bond with them. Good luck!! Are you going to show us some pix of your beautiful baby?

BEAR_NZ
April 24th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Thank you Cyberkitten, you are amazing.we haven't got a scratching post yet, and can see that we need to make one pronto!!! At the moment it is just our Momma cat muppy that has been scratching, but Bella can't be too far away. She is 5 weeks today and is into climbing everything (including us...) she is a little monkey! I didn't realise that you could trim their claws, do you just trim the tips? I am a little frightened, as i have never done this before. Thank you also Amber, i will definately try "no claws" as well. And finally... a pic of baby Bella taken yesterday 24/4/05 just after she had stuck her nose right in her dinner....

CyberKitten
April 24th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Oh my, she is just gorgeous!! What a beautiful little girl,
If you do not like to clip her (and mama;s) claws yoursef, you could bring her to the vet or a groomer. But most kittens become accutomed to it if you start when they are babies.

Here is a site that explain it better than I can:

http://www.caws.org/catclaws.html

amber416
April 24th, 2005, 09:05 PM
oh she is so cute!! Trimming their nails isn't so bad-- i was really scared the first few times i did it, as well, but both me and my cat are getting better at it now. The person that helped me adopt her at the humane society showed me how to clip them. Your vet can either do it for you or show you how to do it yourself. Enjoy your pretty little baby :)

happycats
April 25th, 2005, 08:51 AM
there is a wonderful post here somewhere on how to build your own kitty scratch post (condo). Also 2 way tape on the spot you don't want her to scratch works wonders ;)

wjranch
April 25th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Along with all the other great advice you've been given, You might consider something like this http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 5467&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032915&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1114451743404

It will help save the couch during the training phase :D
Good Luck

Shamrock
April 25th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Congrats on your your kitten - she is adorable! :love:
Nail trimming is always a bit anxiety producing at first, but does becomes much easier with practice.
I have one cat who dislikes handling and I cant clip her nails, but she keeps them trimmed herself on the various posts.
If the claws look too long, are catching on things, or they are scratching people... time for a trim. My vet just charges 10 dollars for this.
My cats seem to prefer sisal over carpet fabric, as they can really get their claws "in" for a good workout.

Diversion to an alternative is the best solution, though cats are certainly creatures of habit and so your one-year old may want to return to the favoured spot.. the couch that she's been using. I believe there is a type of repellant spray available at pet stores that can be used on furniture,.. but dont have any experience in using it.

Good luck with this! :)