Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

"Momma Cat" needs a name!

kayla
April 23rd, 2005, 08:14 PM
So Momma Cat's kittens left to their new home today :sad: She has looked for them a bit and done a bit of calling but as long as I'm petting her and providing bottle caps for her to bat around she seems pretty happy.

But now that she isn't a full time mom anymore she needs a new name and I'm aweful at naming animals so I need help! I would keep "Mamma Cat" but I think people might question my sanity if they hear me call my cat Momma ;)

I was thinking because she is black and looks like a witches cat it would be fun to play on that with a cool witch or pagan name. Other characteristics are she's got 6 toes, she's very small, walks like a ballerina, purrs lots, pretty calm, kinked tail. I will attach a photo..

I know a name should just come to me but it's been two months and nothing so a little help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks!

kayla
April 23rd, 2005, 08:15 PM
How do you attach more than one pic in a message?

kayla
April 23rd, 2005, 08:18 PM
One more..

Prin
April 23rd, 2005, 08:21 PM
She looks like a Boo to me. She'll pop out of places and practically say "Boo" being all black like that...

Or how about something like Panther? It would be a serious name, but then you could call her "Panties" for short and get a good laugh...

I'm not too good at names either but I've learned that if your pet has a name that is funny to you, teaching them to come is much easier because you always have a positive attitude. With dogs I feel names that end in "ie" are easier to yell, so I when Boo would never come, we tried calling him "Boobies" and we were laughing so hard that he came to see what the fuss was about... Yes, I know, VERY mature... :p

twinmommy
April 23rd, 2005, 09:11 PM
awww she's so pretty!! How bout Raven? she's so exotic and dark!!

CyberKitten
April 23rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
I think she needs a regal name - Onyx, Ebony, Princess...

happycats
April 23rd, 2005, 10:07 PM
If you want it to sound like her current name, how about:
Donna, Shauna, Lana. If it doesnt matter then:
-Macy
-Lacy
-Jacey
-Tanna
-Page
-Grace
-Jett (which menas black)
-Cola or Soda (both dark in colour)
-Hope
-Faith

Safyre
April 23rd, 2005, 10:07 PM
I LOVE naming animals (took me three days to name my new Finch, his name is Tab)
Hmm, let me see what I can find for ya...
AVETA - Celtic Mother Goddess of nursing, fruit, plenty & prosperity
ATIRA - The Earth, Sacred Mother of every living creature
DARCY Celtic meaning: dark
EVETTE Female Celtic meaning: life

Well, the name I just came on that I like the most, since she is foster, this name would suit her, as well as having a celtiv background to it:
GWYN Celtic Form of Gwyneth - fortunate, blessed

kayla
April 23rd, 2005, 10:09 PM
Hmmmm, I'm liking some of these.. I will have to try them out and see if any of them "fit". Actually Princess would almost certainly fit, what cat doesn't act like a princess? ;) But then a stronger name would be nice too, she's definitely a tough girl. "Queen" or "Empress" would work better but doesn't sound as nice :p

Keep em coming!

kayla
April 23rd, 2005, 10:12 PM
If you want it to sound like her current name, how about:
Donna, Shauna, Lana. If it doesnt matter then:
-Macy
-Lacy
-Jacey
-Tanna
-Page
-Grace
-Jett (which menas black)
-Cola or Soda (both dark in colour)
-Hope
-Faith

It probably doesn't matter if it sounds like Mamma, I don't think she has a clue what her name is! I like Mana at one point, which means magical power, but it never stuck...

Prin
April 23rd, 2005, 10:13 PM
I'm partial to people not naming their animals Princess- it can lead to confusion for some people when you call your pet...lol. :D I know two dogs named Princess and I have seen when their owners yell their name, the only animal that comes is a human... :p

Safyre
April 23rd, 2005, 10:13 PM
Duchess or Countess or how about Majesty!

twinmommy
April 23rd, 2005, 10:14 PM
how bout Duchess??

twinmommy
April 23rd, 2005, 10:15 PM
hmmm double post on Duchess....I say that's a winner!! :D

happycats
April 23rd, 2005, 10:19 PM
princess Mia ;)
Scout
Jessy
Sharley
Kelsey
Daisy
Bailey :)

kayla
April 23rd, 2005, 10:22 PM
Anymore for Duchess? Going once going twice...

Actully Duchess could be cute followed by something else, I always think the multiple name thing for cats can be cute "Duchess Momma Cat" Ha ha. Or Duchess purrs-a-lot. Actually I was just watching her walk, it's quite unique about her, she looks like she's tip toeing, like a dancer. Some sort of Duchessy/Queeny title plus a dancing name...

kayla
April 23rd, 2005, 10:23 PM
princess Mia ;)

My roommate suggested "Momma Mia" before, that way if I accidentally call her Momma I have an explaination ;)

Lucky Rescue
April 23rd, 2005, 10:25 PM
How about a French name, for her heritage?:p

Aimee (loved)
Cherie (Dear)
Chantel (Song)

I have a nerve suggesting names, since I never did name my OWN "Mammacat". :rolleyes:

happycats
April 23rd, 2005, 10:26 PM
Duchess Dance alot :)
Queen Ballerina
Princess Piruette (sp)

kayla
April 23rd, 2005, 10:27 PM
I have a nerve suggesting names, since I never did name my OWN "Mammacat". :rolleyes:

I didn't know you had a Mommacat! Actually I was looking on a cat name site and "Momma Cat" was actually listed as a name!

kayla
April 23rd, 2005, 10:28 PM
what's french for tip toe?

Safyre
April 23rd, 2005, 10:28 PM
Twinmommy - Great minds think alike! i think i was typing as you were posting

Duchess Prima? (as in prima ballerina)
hmm, not soo great with the dancer names....

raingirl
April 23rd, 2005, 10:46 PM
From Norse mythology:

Snotra - ("Wise") Goddess of women's gentle wisdom and good manners. The Goddess of virtue and master of all knowledge. She knows the value of self-discipline.

Vr - Goddess of awareness. Var personifies an idealized concept of truth and honesty. Var and Vor were handmaidens of Frigga with Eir, and are invoked to witness oaths and to punish oathbreakers. Goddess of love-vows, she listens to (and punishes those who break) agreements between men and women. Newly married couples say her name when they take each other's hands.

Amber - A stone that is sacred to Freya. When she could not find her husband Od, she shed tears of gold. The tears that hit trees turned into amber. A kenning for amber is "Freya's Tears".

Atheling, Athling - Noble (can be used as either a noun or an adjective).

Auja - Good luck.

Bestla - ("The little sauna woman")The Frost Giantess Bestla married Buri's son, Bor, and gave birth to the three Gods; Odin, Vili and Ve. She is daughter to Bolthorn and Ymir, and sister to Mimir.

Bifrost - [pronounced "beye-vrurst"] The rainbow bridge from earth to heaven, guarded by Heimdall. It is a bridge that only the gods can cross. It is covered with flames to stop the frost ogres and cliff giants from scaling heaven. It will break when the sons of Muspell ride out over at Ragnarok.

Dis (ON dis), Disir, Desir (ON dis; disir) - Plural of dis. - Ancestral female spirits to whom Winter Nights and Disting are holy. They watch over the family in general but more particularly the person who will carry on the line.The Disirs work under Freya. The Valkyries are Disir

Einmyria - ("Ashes") A daughter of Loki ("Fire") and Glut ("Glow"). Her sister is Eisa ("Embers").

Eisa - ("Embers") A daughter of Loki ("Fire") and Glut ("Glow"). Her sister is Einmyria ("Ashes").

Lina - Flax, fertility, the sacred plant of the goddess Frigg.

Mana - 1) The Finnish Death Goddess of the Kalevala. Her realm is called Manala. 2) A vital essence that is the pure energy of Love and Harmony.

Mni - Moon-God. Moon is the son of Mundilfari and the Light-Disir Sol's brother. Together with his sister Sol he was placed in the sky by the sirs. Moon is chased by the wolf Manegarm.

Megin - OE: A personal force, distinct from physical power or strength, the possession of which assures success and good fortune.

Nanna, Anna, Inanna - ("The Moon") Asa-Goddess, wife of Balder, mother of Forseti. She dies of heartache after Balder's death and is burned with him on his funeral boat, along with his chopped up horse and a misfortunate Dwarf who Thor kicked in at the last minute.

My BF and I are big on Norse Mythology. Tolkien based his LOTR books on it, as did Neil Gamons "american gods" (VERY good book), and even Stephen king has dabled a little in it.

We decided to name our dog Odin because of it. Because Odin is known as the "all father" we thought it was appropriate for our first dog together, the first of many!

Odin, Odhinn, Woden - Ruler of the sir, God of the runes, inspiration, shamanism, magic and war. God of the hanged and the Wild Hunt; God of storm, rain and harvest. A shape-shifter, he makes men mad or possessed with a blind raging fury. He produces the battle panic called "battle-fetter". Three different frenzies or madness are his gifts to humankind: the warrior in battle, the seer in trance, and the poet in creativity. Subtle, wily, mysterious and dangerous, he often ignores pacts made in honor with humans. Attended by his two ravens, two wolves and the Valkyries. Feared by ordinary people and worshiped only by princes, poets, the berzerkers, and sorcerers. Unpredictable when invoked. "I call myself Grim and Ganglari, Herian, Hialmberi, Thekk, Third, Thunn, Unn, Helblindi, High, Sann, Svipal, Sanngetal, Herteit, Hnikar, Bileyg, Baleyg, Bolverk, Fiolnir, Grimnir, Glapsvinn, Fiolsvinn, Sidhott, Sidskegg, Sigfather, Hnikud, All-father, Atrid, Farmatyr, Oski ("God of Wishes"), Omi, Just-as-high, Blindi, Gondlir, Harbard, Svidur, Svidrir, Ialk, Kialar, Vidur, Thror, Ygg, Thund, Vakr, Skilfing, Vafud, Hropta-Tyr, Gaut, Veratyr." Other names include Tveggi and Gagnrath. Odin married Erda/Jrd, with whom he had a son, Thor. With his wife Frigga, he had Hermod, Hodur and Balder. His third wife was Rinda, who bore Vali. Grid is a friendly Giantess who had his son, Vidar. Giantess Gunnlod gave birth to Bragi after Odin spent three nights with her and stole the Mead of Poetry. He was also said to have married Saga, and to have visited her daily in the crystal hall of Sokvabek. His other consorts were Skadi, and the nine undines (the wave-daughters of Aegir and Ran) who bore Odin Heimdall.

(just think...so many things in our daily lives are based on Norse mythology. Odin was also known as Woden or even Wotan. This evolved into "Wotan's day", and eventually Wednesday. Thursday was "Thor's day" originally...who was his son)

Lucky Rescue
April 23rd, 2005, 10:53 PM
Snotra

Hehe...wish I had heard that one before I named my cat Stinkerbell. Coulda called her "Snotty" for short. :p

CyberKitten
April 23rd, 2005, 11:46 PM
Tip toe in French is avancer sur la pointe des pieds. (Kind of long winded and sounds less fun than tiptoe), avancez sur la pointe des pieds travers les tulipes does not have the same ring as tiptoe thru the tulips, lol

BEAR_NZ
April 24th, 2005, 01:04 AM
She is lovely. She looks like the Queen of Sheba to me!!! :queen:

amber416
April 24th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Amber - A stone that is sacred to Freya. When she could not find her husband Od, she shed tears of gold. The tears that hit trees turned into amber. A kenning for amber is "Freya's Tears".

Hmm, didn't know that, thanks raingirl :)

At the vet clinic i used to work at, there was this beautiful black cat that looked a lot like your momma cat and they called her Lady Macbeth.

les
April 24th, 2005, 09:37 AM
I like Salem for a name!

chico2
April 24th, 2005, 09:44 AM
I think Ebony is a beautiful name for a sleek black girl-cat,my Chico's real name is Chicory(Sp?),but of course it's Chico....how about Chica :D
Here's my beautiful Chico...

poodletalk
April 24th, 2005, 09:45 AM
I think Mama Mia is cute!

kayla
April 24th, 2005, 11:19 AM
I've got it- Cosette! Les Mis is my favorite musical. For those who don't know the story Cosette was a little orphan girl who has a hard childhood with her evil house master and mistress but is rescued by a major ex-convict and grows up and finds love and lives happily ever after (sniff, I love Les Mis). Cossete is tiny just like her. It also conveys her french heritage, and makes me want to sing to her and give her a big hug :D

I just found it on a french name web site, it kind of jumped out at me (thanks for the idea of giving her a french name LR). It also means "victorious". And i can call her "Cozy Cat" if I get bored of Cosette.

Going to let it sit for a few days but I think this is her name :D

BMDLuver
April 24th, 2005, 11:38 AM
What a lovely name you have picked out for her! She's a lucky little lady.

BEAR_NZ
April 24th, 2005, 05:54 PM
i love it! cosette suits her perfectly!!! :queen:

krdahmer
April 25th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Personally I think she looks like a Momma. I don't see anything wrong with that name... she earned it after all. ;) And really what is a stronger name than MOM? :thumbs up

kayla
April 25th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Yeah, she might end up "Momma Cat" afterall. I keep trying to call her Cosette but it's not working. People will just have to deal with the fact I call my cat "Momma" :p

happycats
April 25th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Don't feel bad, one of the resident cats at our summer trailer park, we named Moms, (we found her very pregnant one spring when we arrived) she only had 1 litter 9 years ago (we had her spayed 4 weeks after she had them).
But we still call her Moms to this very day! :D