Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten Care?

Safyre
April 23rd, 2005, 06:23 PM
Hey guys, just looking for some advice in regards to Iggy.(Baby's kitten, now three weeks old)

First of all, I have to ask someone to explain, when kittens are little, how do you tell boys from girls? sometimes they look the exact same to me? anyone know a good website with possible picture explaination? I'm soo confused :confused:

Secondly, we have noticed that baby only has two teets that have any milk in them anymore, is this normal? Iggy is now three weeks old, is this when he would normally start weening?

3rd Question: Reading some info online, he is not as far advanced as he should be, he is JUST starting to crawl around now, not walking yet. Speculation is that this is because he doesn't have borthers or sisters to play with/learn from. How can we help him get moving?

Fourth: Maybe I am remembering wrong, is kitty litter bad for kittens? clumping litter bad, or something? I know I read something about kitty litter being bad sometimes, can't remember the specifics on it.

He's a cutie, looks sorta brown whe the light hits him... I'll get my friend to send over some pictures of him later so i can post. She took 10 pics of him just today. lol

Thanks in advance for the info

Lucky Rescue
April 23rd, 2005, 06:48 PM
1 - Tiny kittens are hard to sex, especially if you only have one and cant' compare. This site shows how to tell: http://www.indiapets.com/cats/articles/carta02.htm

2 - Since there is only one kitten, it's normal that Baby would dry up somewhat.

3 - Kittens who have no littermates can be delayed in developement since they have no need to compete for anything and no one to play with to hone skills. You can play with the kitten and try to stimulate it. It also should be on a surface that gives good traction.

4 - Clumping litter should never be used with kittens. They are messy, peeing and walking in it, then lick the litter off their feet and swallow it where it can be fatal.

Safyre
April 23rd, 2005, 06:55 PM
That website is not working for me, I'll try it again later.

Thansk for the info, I thought it was clumping litter that he couldn't use, I just wanted to verify that.

CyberKitten
April 23rd, 2005, 06:59 PM
I woudl just add that clumping litter - because it expands - and because kittens like to sample things - is very bad for kittens. If they swallow it and it expands inside their tiny tummies, they can have a potebtially fatal obstruction.

Here is a page on sexing the kitten.

http://www.vetinfo.com/csexcat.html

I too recommend stimulating Iggy with play - Solo kitten can also have socilaiztion problems since they have no sibs to model. So they need extra attention, lots of toys and time spent - if you can emulate another kitten (not as good as the real thing but better than nothing) - with you. Mamas are usually good about teaching the basics though.

BEAR_NZ
April 24th, 2005, 04:35 AM
Hi Safyre, our kitten Bella is now 5 weeks tomorrow. We have hand raised her since she was 2 days old, as she was an only kitten and Momma cat never had enough milk for her due to lack of stimulation we presume.Sometimes the mother cat would come and evacuate her urine and bowel, but other times we had to do this. At 2 and a half weeks we took her to the vet for a check up. The vet wormed her and checked for fleas etc... and told us that it was time for us to start introducing her to some solids. We mixed a little of the veterinary kitten milk formula, some kitten tuna meat without any of the nasty additives, and mushed it up really really well with some warm water and a few drops of safflower oil, which is full of essential fatty acids. We started feeding her from a spoon at first, as she could not even lick at that stage... and then we gradually started to feed her from a dish... in which she proceeded to stand in and after each feed was covered all over her face, paws and chest!!!!!she is such a little monkey. She then started to teethe and wanted to bite everything in sight, and her ability to lick things got stronger. She is now very confident at eating and drinking and tonight we have just given her her first portion of chicken with the water and safflower oil and she just loved it.I would recommend, even though it is more time consuming, to give Iggy small portions at regular intervals, otherwise, their eyes are bigger than their stomachs and they proceed to eat and eat and eat until they have a balloon of a body and tiny little legs... and this can't be good for them. Bella is now using the litter box. we pop her in there about 15 minutes after she has eaten, and also when she awakes from napping, and so far we have had few "accidents" on the carpet. Since she is an only kitten, we are really conscious that we have to play with her lots to stimulate her. She has her favourite toys that she loves, a pink mouse, a grey mouse a turtle and a crunchy toy that russles when it is moved, and a toy tied to string, so she can stalk it when we move it. This week she has not been so bitey, and has been very smootchy and affectionate and cuddles up with us when we are near.As i am writing, she is asleep on my foot!!
I so hope that some of this has helped!!! Big hug to you and Iggy. :)

Safyre
April 24th, 2005, 12:03 PM
That is helpful information, thanks very much. iggy is not my baby, he belongs to a friend of mine, which is why I have to ask these questions. my cats were spayed at 6 months never allowed to have kittens. Having a lil one around is new to both my and my friend.
She is home most the time, on maternity leave, so I will let forward the infroamtion onto her, sounds like great advice. Thanks