Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

grooming a poodle coat?

Eleni
April 23rd, 2005, 05:18 PM
sam is a bichon poodle mix but he definatly has a poodle coat.

for those of you with a dog with a similar coat, how odten do you get your dogs groomed?

I brush sam daily and I clip his nails as needed, i keep em pretty short cause he likes to paw at us.

and i bath him every 3 weeks, but when should he need haircuts? or is it ok to let him grow long?

I dont want him to get shaggy but i dont think he should get too bad with the daily grooming i give him.

Eleni

greaterdane
April 23rd, 2005, 05:56 PM
If you want to go to a really great groomer, possibly once a month or even once every 2 months, I would recommend Animals Only, its just about 15 mins outside of St.Catharines in FontHill. Animals Only (http://www.animalsonly.ca/) Not only is she a close personal friend, she is amazing with dogs. My mom drives from Brantford just to board her basset hound there :)Also Andrea the owner has had poodles all her life so she would be able to give you great advice. Hers are standard poodles and she keeps them curly, not the normal cut.

As for the grooming of a poodle, a friend of mine gets her dogs coat professionally done once a month and just watches her little one in the rain and combs her every once in a while.

Eleni
April 23rd, 2005, 06:09 PM
Hers are standard poodles and she keeps them curly, not the normal cut.

I beleive that must be the cut im thinking of, he had a puppy cut his last groom, and I gotta say the puffy look just isnt for him. Hes got a really curly coat, I think for his next groom wich probably will be soon ill give the place you suggested a call.

this is the first pup ive owned that requires grooming so its newish territory to me

Eleni

CyberKitten
April 23rd, 2005, 07:01 PM
My poodle -who loved to be 17 - was groomed at the groomers about every 6 weeks. By that I mean, getting the proper poodle cut et al. We goomed him constantly as poodles (and I assume bichons) require constant care around the eyes and when they do their biz.

Daizy
April 25th, 2005, 10:32 AM
I try to brush my poodle's hair every day and every 6 - 8 weeks I take her to the groomer for a 'professional' job. I tend to bathe her myself every 2/3 weeks also.

glasslass
April 25th, 2005, 07:46 PM
I groom Den-Den myself. He's never been to a groomer. The vet clips his nails. I don't do it all at once. Maybe the feet one weekend, his tail when I notice it needs to be touched up. Maybe another evening I'll do his face and neck. Den-Den is always fluffy. I like his body at 3/4" in the winter (California winter, that is) and 1/2" in the summer. Any longer than that, it wants to matt too easily.

Shamrock
April 25th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Lovely pic of Den-Den, Glass!

I brush Percy every day, and give him little touch-ups as needed for his clipping
For a full grooming, I take him every 8- 10 weeks.

CyberKitten
April 25th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Very cute pict of your DenDen Reminds me of mine - he was white too.