Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Partylite???

lilith_rizel
April 23rd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Is there anyone here who is a partylite consultant? If so is it fun? I am trying to find a job I can do where I will be able to stay at home during the day as much as possible. Here the daycare is $1000 a month. Any other job I would be paying just for daycare and wouldn't have any money left over, so it wouldn't be worth it.

crazypetlady
April 23rd, 2005, 01:11 PM
I used to ba a partylite consultant in Canada. It is a wonderful opportunity for stay home Moms who have someone to watch the kids after work or weekends when you go to others houses to put on a show. I work full time though and it was taking up to much of my spare time, so I quit. You rely on the number of sales you get at any show to bring you your pay. If you are not serious about it all the time, it could end up costing you money.

raingirl
April 23rd, 2005, 02:09 PM
never heard of it....sorry.

Daycare for $1000 a month is a little cheaper than here. I see some places that are about $300 to $500 a week here (doesn't make me want to have kids any faster!!)

How about Tupperware or Mary Kay. Both are good for stay at home mom's. My friend just started doing Mary Kay and I was facinated by all the tax breaks and stuff you can get because you use your car for work, and your home for work. I have considered doing Tupperware myself.

Or how about Avon??

Writing4Fun
April 23rd, 2005, 03:15 PM
Just went to my first PartyLite party a couple of weeks ago. It was fun, and it does look like a good way to make a couple hundred bucks in an afternoon. You do have to put out some money up front to buy your "consultant's package", though.

Go to www.wahm.com. There are lots of work-at-home moms there who can answer your questions.

Good luck, and welcome to the work-at-home-moms club! :D

happycats
April 23rd, 2005, 03:30 PM
What about taking in another child or 2 for extra income.
I used to daycare, it's good for extra $$. just a thought, as I loved doing it!

BMDLuver
April 23rd, 2005, 03:53 PM
Althought their stuff is lovely it is also costly. Kind of breaks the bank for the average person. You would need to have at least 3 parties a week plus have people under you having parties to make a decent wage at it. My friend did it for a while but couldn't really get ahead of it.

Bearsmom
April 23rd, 2005, 07:31 PM
What about taking in another child or 2 for extra income.
I used to daycare, it's good for extra $$. just a thought, as I loved doing it!

I'd bet on that rather than partylite. I've been invited to several partylite parties, and have felt very guilty for not buying things, it seems like you'd need to constantly host parties to make any money.

Home daycare is a great idea. We searched for a LONG time for the right daycare for Robbie. The "established" ones wanted to be paid for 5 days a week no matter what! With shiftwork, I sometimes would have only needed daycare for him for one day a week, and NO WAY was I paying that much when he wouldn't have been there the other 4 days a week.

He's now at a private home daycare, she's cheaper than regular daycare, she doesn't fine us if we're 2 minutes late, and she has flexible hours (very helpful for a shiftworker like moi)

twinmommy
April 23rd, 2005, 07:40 PM
I have been to a Partylite party and I find their stuff beautiful...but $$$$!!!
Nice for gifts, I guess, the pre-xmas party woudl probably rake in some profits, but I can't see using the stuff all the time, it's quite pricy.

The girl I know who was doing it for the same reason as you, just got out of it because, as was stated before, you just have to put too much time into it to get anything back.

I think the whole "party" concept is a hard sell. I mean, if I'm your friend, I guess I would have a party for you once, maybe twice, but after that, you have to ask someone else and get different people. After a while I think you exhaust all your possible avenues of oppourtunity. Then you are stuck with inventory that I believe you have to buy in advance...

Don't want to rain on your parade of a new idea, just relaying the one experience that I knew of. :)

Sneaky2006
April 23rd, 2005, 08:14 PM
I love partylite candles and candle holders, I have a few pieces and they're great! My sister had one party with everyone she knew that would be interested and how can she have anymore parties? Nobody is into it.

I actually just got back from a pampered chef party a few minutes ago. It was okay, but I won't be going to another... and my sister isn't going to do it again because like I said above, there isn't enough contacts.

Something you may be interested in though is selling tupperware online... this way you can advertise and have more of a chance at making money than having parties! Your friends and family can order from your site too!
Avon, mary kay, pampered chef and partylight may have something like this also.
Good luck!

CyberKitten
April 23rd, 2005, 08:14 PM
I've never heard of Partylite. Sorry. I did got to a friend of a friend's house party once because she was having a party to sell something (gift shop type stuff) and I came home with place mats. I hate the notion of feeling obligated to buy something because you went to a party but that's just me. I like to shop in a store or point and click when I am busy.

And I have to say, $1000 a mo for daycare is pretty inexpensive to me. Do they have subsidized child care for military or low income earners that might allow you to work outside the home? You need to get out too!

What about a home based business? If you are computer literate, you could do office stuff (bookeeping, web design, writing, database design, etc. ) And many companies now offer flex time and working from home for young moms.

Sneaky2006
April 23rd, 2005, 08:24 PM
Wow, 1000 a month inexpensive?? If I would send my son (9) to daycare all day 5 days a week it would be about 400 a month, for an infant it would be a bit more.
My mortgage isn't even 1000 a month, geez.

Writing4Fun
April 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Oh, heavens YES, PartyLite is expensive! I certainly didn't feel obliged to buy anything at the party I went to recently - I went for the food! :D My friend (the person who hosted the party) is seriously addicted to the stuff, so she holds parties a couple times a year to earn free products - I don't think she ever spends a dime herself! She keeps inviting her friends and family. They always come back because it's a great excuse to have the kids babysat and have a girls night out. :party: Besides, she has a couple of friends who are "better off" than the rest of us (financially), plus there are always new neighbors moving in, so there's a steady supply of people ready and able to help her get her "fix". :D

As a salesperson (not a host), though, I don't think you have to buy tons of product. I think you have your sales package to buy, and you do have to stock up on order forms & business cards every once in a while. This "party" idea works for a bunch of different companies, not just PartyLite. Check them out thoroughly before you join, though! Some have minimum monthly purchases that you have to make if you want to retain your sales status.

$1000/month is pretty close to the norm here for daycare centres for a toddler. It gets less expensive the older the child is. In-home daycare is slightly less expensive than centres. It also depends on the Province you live in. Ontario is up there in costs for just about everything. I know what you mean, though. I was pretty stunned when I found out that daycare for my first would be almost as much as my monthly mortgage payment (with my municipal taxes included!). That's why we decided I'd stay home when we had baby #2. When you factor in daycare, travel to/from work, work wardrobe, lunches, work birthdays/parties, etc... it really wasn't worth it for me to go back to work.

lilith_rizel
April 25th, 2005, 07:36 PM
I have thought of daycare as well, but there is an entrie class we go throught, and we have to stay with FCC. With them, we can charge only so much and with all that we have to put in to keep the place running, it might now work. But then again, it might. Just trying to think of some options.