Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Gentian Violet Ear Treatment - question

badger
April 23rd, 2005, 11:24 AM
I got together the ingredients for the Gentian Violet Ear Treatment recommended on this site: http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/BLUE.HTM
People have talked about it for dogs; the website indicates it is also suitable for cats.

The treatment contains gentian violet solution 1%, Boric Acid Powder, and isopropyl rubbing alcohol 70%. The first two are antibacterials and antiseptics. Do you think this is safe for a cat, given that he will be cleaning for hours after I have flooded his ears and will probably be ingesting small amounts of the alcohol (although it evaporates quite quickly).

Eleni
April 23rd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Gentian violet is sometimes uses for treating breastfed babies for thrush[yeat infection]

and I was advised with my son that it can be rough, and that it *could* cause sores in his mouth.
so i diddnt use it.

Id be very wary of using it in my pets ears for this reason Id worry about my pet getting sores iside their ears.

thats about all i know about gentian violet

Eleni

badger
April 23rd, 2005, 12:12 PM
The recipe is 16 drops of 1% Gentian Violet, 8oz alcohol and a couple of tablespoons of Boric acid. So the Gentian is very dilute. It's more the alcohol that worries me, what with the skull and crossbones on the label.

goldenblaze
April 23rd, 2005, 07:43 PM
Sorry I can't help but I also would like a safe ear treatment for Jordie, he has ear problems love to find something to use at home without Vets everytime. ;)

twinmommy
April 23rd, 2005, 07:52 PM
Gentian Violet is VERRY MESSY!!!! It is more of an anti fungal, than anything, if you think your cat has a fungal infection in ears, ask your vet if you can use Monistat or Canesten (for yeast infections) creams instead. I'm just trying to avoid you having bright purple-blue EVERYHWERE when you try to put it in your cat's ears. :rolleyes:

twinmommy
April 23rd, 2005, 08:00 PM
o.k., I just read the link and see that you want to do more of a "wash" and that there is no infection. so nevermind my last post. :rolleyes:

You may not have noticed, the recipe calls for 16 oz of alcohol, not 8 as you say, and it also says to warm it before you put it in the ear, and I'm not sure but I believe that will change the chemical properties of your alcohol, making it safe for the cat to ingest a bit.(not sure about that one tho.)

badger
April 26th, 2005, 07:57 AM
It wasn't nearly as messy as I expected, I wore gloves and spread out some newspapers. He only shook his head a couple of times then spent ages scrubbing his ears and licking his paws, which is the part that worries me. Rescue Remedy is in an alcohol suspension, and the other day I gave William a little cognac (thinking it was remedy!), with no after-effects. So I'm still going around in circles with this, probably should ask the vet.

twinmommy
April 26th, 2005, 10:13 AM
So how's it going? what did the vet say? :)

MIA
April 26th, 2005, 10:38 AM
I can tell you that this treatment ROCKED for my dogs ears! I tried everything else first and nothing worked but this!!!! I was totally impressed and now after full treatment he rarely has ear issues, usually every two weeks I plop some in his hears just for maintenance! :thumbs up