Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Collars

Beetlecat
April 23rd, 2005, 10:58 AM
What is a good collar for a medium haired dog? Ky's hair is about an inch long and pretty thick.

Right now Ky is wearing a flat, partial choke, nylon collar, but I usually take it off since he considers it very itchy and I feel that leaving it on would matt the hair somewhat. Or push the hair out of the way and create a 'collar ring' around his neck.

Would a rolled leather collar be useful? Or are those only useful for very shorthaired dogs?

I like the look of a thin chain choker, but it would be too dangerous to leave that on him anyways.

I'd like something less itchy, so he doesn't feel the need to scratch during walks. I assume something skinnier would work best.

What do you guys use?

raingirl
April 23rd, 2005, 11:01 AM
he might not be itching because of the collar. He might be allergic to the nylon or the dye in the nylon. My dog is. He has a hemp collar that is natural and not dyed. Still, he only wears his collar on walks, and we take it off in the house.

Eleni
April 23rd, 2005, 11:27 AM
I leave sams collor on, as for matting, i take his collor off while brushing him each morning, to ensure i get his neck properly brushed.

the only place he seems to be prone to matting is at his legs, but i have him groomed pretty sort right now to ensure its not an issue.

as for nylon, sam diddnt like that either, so hes got a leather collor

Eleni

wjranch
April 23rd, 2005, 11:42 AM
It sounds to me like the collar you are currently using is a martingale. That is a training/correction collar and should not be left on the dog at all times.
I suggest a rolled leather collar to save the ruff around his neck and you can leave it on all the time with his tags on it. A flat collar will break the hairs around his neck and you'll end up with a 'collar ring' around his neck even when he's going commando ;)

SnowDancer
April 23rd, 2005, 01:35 PM
Exactly same comments as wjranch. Some people with Eskimo dogs like mine use the Martingale because when the dog's ears flatten some collars have been known to slip off. But this is a training collar. My dog currently wears a harness, but if I do get him a collar it is definitely going to be a rolled leather collar - best for dogs with "hair". I will get the black one that goes with his leash. Many people with my type of dog get very pretty collars - Kate Spade style - but of course once it is on the dog, you can't see it.

Beetlecat
April 23rd, 2005, 04:47 PM
Sounds like a rolled leather collar is the way to go. Good 'cause I can get one at the same place I got his leash (dark red leather), so they match.

Just for my information, why is a martingale collar so bad to leave on? It only tightens so much, so it;s not going to choke him if he gets caught on something. And if he does get caught on something, the only collar that would actually be good is a quick release one.

wjranch
April 23rd, 2005, 10:56 PM
Yes the martingale is a limited choke action. However, IF it caught on something your dog would inadvertently give himself a correction that he might not be able to extricate himself from. And IF you weren't around, would you want him to be stressed by that until you found and released him? Also, if he twisted and fought, he could choke himself with it still.
I'm a firm believer that a collar stays off unless we are either training or just out in the yard (ya never know when or how they'll get loose) So they have their rabies tags and addy/phone number just in case.
Otherwise, I'd rather not take a chance on it getting caught on something when I'm not around to save them. (this probably stems from my horse training background, I hate to leave a halter on a horse that is not 'in hand')

Safyre
April 23rd, 2005, 11:13 PM
I leave Justice's collar on her at all times, she has longer fur, she is a retriever. we have a nylon collar for her. She is crated when no one is home to ensure she can't get caught on things.
i think worrying about the collar getting caught is only something if you don't kennel your animals, if they have been kennel trained, and this is where they stay when not at home, then leaving a collar on all the time shouldn't be a concern.
Justice's collar has not created any matting thusfar, she is 16 months. We take it off daily for grooming as well.