Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

important reminder about cats and the ribbons from kids toys

Eleni
April 23rd, 2005, 10:18 AM
Yestuday my cat sugar was not well.

I babied her and kept and eye on her and eventually called the vet [she was having trouble with her poty habits]

the vet told me if she wasnt better by afternoon bring her in.

we continued watching her closely.

turned out she had eaten some ribbon from a baloon my little girl had.

and she was having trouble passing the ribbon.

Shes ok now, but to everyone who has cats and kids PLEASE be cautious of any ribbons around the house!!

it could seriously hurt your babies
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Denise_rector_bouchard/sugar.jpg

Eleni

Lucky Rescue
April 23rd, 2005, 11:13 AM
That's a good reminder Eleni! I know someone whose cat needed surgery after eating an earplug!! Glad your kitty is okay.

Thread, string, tinsel, elastics and ribbon are all things cats like to eat, for some unknown reason.

twodogsandacat
April 24th, 2005, 04:13 AM
That's a good reminder Eleni! I know someone whose cat needed surgery after eating an earplug!! Glad your kitty is okay.

Thread, string, tinsel, elastics and ribbon are all things cats like to eat, for some unknown reason.

I know a little Australian terrier that ate a wine cork. It had the same effect on the dog as it did on the bottle. The surgery made that a very expensive bottle of wine.

BEAR_NZ
April 24th, 2005, 05:01 AM
Thank you so much for the reminder... just when you are not looking they are chewing through all sorts of things!!! would you be able to post this notice again at Christmas time? I know of kittens in the past who have ingested tinsel off the tree and not been at all well...you have to make sure to keep the tinsel out of harms way when trimming the tree!!!

amber416
April 24th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Yes, very good reminder Eleni.... a few months ago my cat somehow got ahold of a random piece of string (still not sure where it came from...) and we had a very scary couple of days of emergency vet visits and surgery. It was a very expensive lesson in kitty-proofing. Now i get down on my hands and knees and search the apartment on a regular basis to make sure there is nothing on the floor Tink is going to think she needs to eat.