Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I REALLY didn't need this..

Lucky Rescue
April 22nd, 2005, 11:20 PM
Saw a cat batting at something in the leaves. Against my better judgement, I just had to see what.

Itty bitty, teeny weeny baby deer mouse.:( Of course I snatched it up and brought it in the house.

Had no food, so had to go the store and get baby food, hamster food..sigh.

It's about 1 inch long and too cute, even though I can't see it without my glasses. So here I am sitting with a teensy mouse on my hand, licking sweet potato baby food off whole wheat bread.

What next? This will teach me to mind my own business.

TWilson9498
April 23rd, 2005, 12:01 AM
Sure is a cute lil guy though! I'm sure the cat was disappointed to loose her dinner, but I bet he signed a BIG sigh of relief!

Prin
April 23rd, 2005, 01:10 AM
Don't worry, eventually, he'll escape and you won't have to care for him. :p They are like Jelly.

anniebananie
April 23rd, 2005, 05:13 AM
I have a pair that come to the bird feeder in winter. The feeder is right outside our kitchen window and have seen them at night and early morning. They must have a nest somewhere (silly things, when I have three cats) near the house. They don't seem to mind me watching them through the glass. They are so cute :p I also have a young female Cardinal trying to build a nest right outside our living room window - talk about entertainment for the cats :D

BMDLuver
April 23rd, 2005, 05:48 AM
Those darn critters have a way of finding just the right person don't they! Too cute. I am always amazed at how teeny tiny their little feet are. What's Chloe think of this little one?

DogueLover
April 23rd, 2005, 07:57 AM
I am really hoping that I read this wrong.
You didn`t say "deer mouse" did you?
Here in Sask we have a huge overpopulation of the deer mice this year and the health authorities have issued warnings about ANY handling of deer mice as they carry Hanta Virus which is not treatable and often FATAL.
Please do some research because last year we lost a close friend due to deer mouse droppings being in a grain bin they swept out, he got hanta virus and DIED.
I am not trying to cause any alarm here but deer mice, no matter how cute, are not pets, and can be very dangerous.
I will post links to the information regarding deer mice and hanta virus and the statistics regarding deaths of humans who become infected with it, if that is necessary.
Please take that thing outside and thoroughly clean any area where the animal was, for your own health and safety.

chico2
April 23rd, 2005, 08:22 AM
Lucky,you sucky :D
I completely understand though,the little guys are fun to watch...I watched one babymouse take a peanut as big as himself and carry it off.I know they are around by the way the cats go sniffing and Vinnie can sit in the same spot for an hour looking at one spot in our vine growing on the house :D
To my kittys disappointment,I will not allow them to"play"with mice,much less eat them.They are so tiny and defenseless and will squeek in terror,while the cat is tossing them around...
If I were you,I would put it back close to where you found him/her,make sure there are no cats around..
I found a whole family while cleaning up debris,I lifted a pile of branches and there they were,pink little babies and mom,I put the pile back and told no one...

BMDLuver
April 23rd, 2005, 08:35 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend's passing.

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/weekly/aa052300a.htm

This is an article and it indicates that this problem has been cited in Edmonton Alberta area. The cases are extremely rare. It seems to be mainly concentrated in some parts of the USA. That's not to say it cannot come here but tossing the little guy out for a what if does seem a bit drastic. I found a litter last year when we were moving some old logs left behind our shed. I brought them in to keep them warm and we fixed their area and replaced them in their spot. By dusk mom had come back for them and moved all of them.

badger
April 23rd, 2005, 08:46 AM
Who could resist? Not sure he's a keeper, though, too fragile and essentially brainless; maybe give him a 'spa' day inside - a teeny tiny facial to open those pores - then back to the real world.

Lucky Rescue
April 23rd, 2005, 09:37 AM
Whoa. I didn't know anything about Hantavirus and deermice! :eek: I never even saw one til yesterday.

Thanks for the warning. I will wash my hands after handling the little guy but I'm not too worried. I just looked it up and found this:

Deer mice shed the virus in their urine, saliva, and droppings. A person may be exposed to hantavirus by breathing dust after cleaning rodent droppings or disturbing nests, or by living or working in rodent-infested settings

BMDluver, you're as bad as I am.:p

I was only planning to keep it until it's a tiny bit bigger and then I will release it.
I have no plans to keep a mouse with 3 cats here.

BMDLuver
April 23rd, 2005, 09:50 AM
BMDluver, you're as bad as I am.:p
lol, it comes with the territory and for some odd reason I have an affinity to little tiny creatures. Perhaps it's because I stand 6' tall? hmmmm

krdahmer
April 23rd, 2005, 10:22 AM
AW....Lucky....you and your big heart and that tiny little mousy! Too adorable the both of ya! :love:

chico2
April 23rd, 2005, 12:04 PM
Well,they ARE really cute...especially the tiny ones,it looks like they are all head,with four little booties :D

Lucky Rescue
April 23rd, 2005, 12:55 PM
it comes with the territory and for some odd reason I have an affinity to little tiny creatures
Yeah, me too. Always have. I think part of it is pity, and partly because their tiny size is fascinating. This mouse has hands about 1/4" inch long - how can bones be so tiny??

Better pic.

lilith_rizel
April 23rd, 2005, 01:11 PM
Lucky, the mouse is so cute. So are you going to keep it? If so, what are you going to name it.

I am a sucker for mice. I have always thought that they were the cutest things.

Princesss04
April 23rd, 2005, 01:13 PM
Oh how cute! You are a good lady Lucky!

Shamrock
April 23rd, 2005, 01:20 PM
:eek: .eek! (rodent aversion)

Aww... its so cute though! Good on you for rescuing this little creature, Lucky.. what a kind heart you have! :thumbs up

Lise
April 23rd, 2005, 02:36 PM
They are so cute.Last week husband went to put on work gloves he'd left outside,they felt weird took them off, a field mouse had put pieces of dog food and seed in all the fingers.

goldenblaze
April 23rd, 2005, 02:55 PM
LOL..first I must admit this little mouse is sweet, I would not of brought it in my house though :o scared of mice. Second I have never heard of Hantavirus and please tell me the difference in deermouse and normal mouse? I thought they all looked alike :)

CyberKitten
April 23rd, 2005, 03:01 PM
That little fellow is so cute Lucky!! And very LUCKY to have found you. Just be cautius about washing up after handling him - tho I prob don't need to tell you that.

Lucky Rescue
April 23rd, 2005, 05:56 PM
You guys are too nice! I'm not doing this cause I was dying to have a mouse, believe me. I wish this hadn't happened and I KNEW I would be sorry before I even checked out what the cat had.http://www.pets.ca/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

please tell me the difference in deermouse and normal mouse

I just found out myself. A normal "house mouse" is gray all over, including the tail.

A deer mouse, like this one, is dark on top (almost agouti) and white underneath. As well, the tail is dark on top and light underneath with a pretty clear line where the colour changes. They also have very pointy faces and big eyes.

Aren't you glad you know that now? :D

goldenblaze
April 23rd, 2005, 07:37 PM
I must admit I've never been that close to a mouse to tell the difference :o both are very cute from a distance. I do remember walking Kaiger him getting a mouse coming out of the barn..can't tell you what kind it was :confused: it all happen so fast. The mouse came running out on to road , Kaiger grabed the mouse I said drop, he did and the mouse was gone :) Memories of Kaiger, thanks for reminding me of this Lucky Rescue :angel:

twinmommy
April 23rd, 2005, 07:46 PM
I think you should call him "Gus" after the mouse in Cinderella!!!

(not that you're keepin' him--I'm just sayin!!! :D )

CyberKitten
April 23rd, 2005, 08:11 PM
Actually, he looks like a Teeter to me - from petit for small. C'mon, you guys (LR and TM) live in Mtl, lol Or maybe a Petit Hab - Habtee or T-Hab.

I have had many a mouse in labs - we used to fight over who got to take them home for the weekend, lol (These were white ones mind you.) I once brought a mole home when I was about 6, thinking I'd have a new pet. Bad decision - the poor thing died at too much light!

We do have a brown-green snake that hangs around the front of my house in the summer. He sleeps on the front step and I call him Snavily, lol

twinmommy
April 23rd, 2005, 08:30 PM
I looove Teeter!! also like "Tater" like tater tot!!! hehe

Lucky Rescue
April 23rd, 2005, 09:14 PM
OMG - you're naming him???

I am not - repeat, NOT - keeping this mousie!!!

twinmommy
April 23rd, 2005, 09:16 PM
heheh

What about Stuart???? :D

Eleni
April 23rd, 2005, 09:31 PM
Tiny sounds appropriate

Eleni

Prin
April 23rd, 2005, 09:34 PM
I called my old rat Lestat. Creepy and needy all at the same time.

Lucky Rescue
April 23rd, 2005, 10:50 PM
Okay, last one. I promise! (but really, who DOESN'T want to spend Saturday night looking at pics of mice???)

You can see how tiny he is. That's a NICKEL next to him...

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL320/1047157/2094399/94099040.jpg

Prin
April 23rd, 2005, 11:00 PM
Okay, last one. I promise! (but really, who DOESN'T want to spend Saturday night looking at pics of mice???) Not Me!!! I have no life, I want MORE!!! (I'm in the stage after exams where you just do NUTHIN') :) :party:

goldenblaze
April 23rd, 2005, 11:13 PM
OMG he is a real cutie.. love the ears great picture shows how small this little thing is, he needed a Mommy ;)

badger
April 23rd, 2005, 11:21 PM
OMG he is truly adorable, I'd be afraid to touch him, crush his little bones. What are you planning to do with him?

PS You've livened up my Saturday night considerably!

CyberKitten
April 23rd, 2005, 11:37 PM
Awwwww!! He is just too cute for words!! I think of him as Teeter now! :crazy: Maybe I can say - as we soemtimes do in the Maritimes that he is "a dear little thing" (pun very much intended) :)

BEAR_NZ
April 23rd, 2005, 11:54 PM
oh he is a darling!!! i love his little whiskers and tiny little feet."Lucky Rescue", you are so perfectly named! Maybe he could be Bambi, since he is a deer mouse!

chico2
April 24th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Awww Lucky,he's just adorable..you realize,the longer you keep him the harder it will be to put him outside :sad:
What's Stinkerbell and co saying???
I know my cats would volonteer their services to keep watch over him :evil:
"My"deer-mice also have white little booties...

BMDLuver
April 24th, 2005, 08:24 AM
So now he is named and still inside... hmmmm... I think this little mouse is not moving back outside too soon... Lucky for him it's raining and cold... very smart little creature to let that big bad kitty catch him..

BoxerRescueMTL
April 24th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Oh.My.God. he is soooooooo cute!!!! i love his fluffy hair.

Sneaky2006
April 24th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Omg! That is the cutest lil thing!!!!
I think you should call him Gus (or gusgus) too, that mouse in cinderella was adorable!!!!! :love:

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 01:42 PM
So now he is named and still inside... hmmmm... I think this little mouse is not moving back outside too soon... Lucky for him it's raining and cold... very smart little creature to let that big bad kitty catch him..
I think it's like garfield and the mice-- I bet they struck a deal. :)

CyberKitten
April 24th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Aha, the plot thickens! Maybe the kitty wanted a tiny friend - :)

Lucky Rescue
April 24th, 2005, 05:15 PM
So now he is named and still inside...

Not named by me!! And still inside cause how I could put such a teeny thing outside in the cold rain?:p

He must think he died and went to Mouse Heaven. I went in earlier and he was sitting on top of his huge mountain of seeds and hamster food, picking out tidbits. :rolleyes:

coppperbelle
April 24th, 2005, 06:18 PM
I for one could avoid that mouse. It is cute but the problems they bring are enormous.
I had a problem with the little buggers at the cottage this winter. They were in the walls and in the kitchen and in my bed (not when I was there, thank goodness). They were so loud at night they woke me up with their scratching. They leave dropping everywhere and I was forced to clean my kitchen from top to bottom with disenfectant on more than one occasion. Their urine is worse than their feces and because it is so small it is not always noticeable. They are carriers of lots of nasty diseases spread sometimes by their urine. That is why there are warning about drinking canned soft drinks directly from the can. Use a straw or pour it into a glass.
There are not many animals I am afraid of but a little mouse can bring me to tears. :yuck:

Shaykeija
April 24th, 2005, 07:18 PM
He he he I think you should call him Nickel. LOL :p

Lise
April 25th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Elly Rat loved this thread

Lucky Rescue
April 25th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Elly Rat loved this thread

You have a rat? Have we seen pics of her??

kandy
April 25th, 2005, 12:25 PM
If you are planning on keeping this mousie (and yes, he is cute) make sure that you spray the droppings before you try cleaning them up. Most of the people that contract Hanta Virus (getting more common all the time in the US) get it from cleaning up the droppings - breathing in the dust. If you keep him contained, then you can spray the whole area before you clean it. You can spray with any kind of disinfectant, the important thing is that you wet it down enough so there isn't any dust coming off the droppings. I personally wouldn't save a mouse - I have had them nest in my camper and in my truck under the seat and them little buggers can steal a whole bag of dog food one piece at a time in less than 24 hours. When I find that they've been anywhere near my dog's food, I throw it all out because I worry that they pooped in the bag (which they probably did) and that my dogs will get Hanta, although I've never heard of a dog contracting it.

BMDLuver
April 25th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Lol Kandy, you said that and it reminded me that I went to go gardening last week and all I had left of all my pairs of gardening gloves were the little rubber nubby bits for traction. They must have carted the rest off for bedding this winter.

kandy
April 25th, 2005, 12:43 PM
BMDLover: Yep, you do have to give them credit for being very, very resourceful! And I'm sure it would come in handy to be able to squash yourself flat to fit under something! LOL

chico2
April 25th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Well,these little devils,have destroyed a leafblower,lawnmower,snowblower and a whipper-snipper by building nests chewing the wires....luckily it was all fixable..
I keep birdsseds and other food-stuff for birds,coons etc...in my shed,so those little guys had a party,but now after I put all seeds in big plastic-containers,we do not have that problem anymore.
Hubby puts out poison,but I take it away(psst don't tell hubby!),he thinks the mice have eaten it :D
I have a vine covering the back of the house and we know they are there and so do the cats.
As long as they stay outside,I don't care,they are awfully cute :p

Lucky Rescue
April 25th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Hubby puts out poison,but I take it away(psst don't tell hubby!),he thinks the mice have eaten it

I don't know about the legalities of this: you would have to check local laws.

Poisoning mice is a very bad thing to do. Cats, dogs and all sorts of wild life get killed from eating poisoned rodents.:(

I"m glad you take it away. You might very well poison your own cats otherwise.

CyberKitten
April 25th, 2005, 07:37 PM
In many localities, it is illegal to put out poison. It is usually b/c public health officials are concerned about other animals and young children being affacted by the poison. I do not know the stats offhand our Poison Control Centre has for accidental poisons but it is a huge number despite a public education campaign. Little children sometimes die because of this so pls do not do it anymore - am assuming you eo not have small childdren but there could be some in your neighbourhood or visitors.

meb999
April 25th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Awwww, what a teeny, tiny little cutie pie!

glasslass
April 26th, 2005, 12:10 AM
That last pic is so adorable! How about Homer - cause that's what he is now - a little guy with a home! :D

chico2
April 26th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Don't worry,it comes in little blocks and hubby puts it way inside the thick vine growing on the house,but it comes out as quickly as he puts it in... :D
We have talked about it lately(argued!)and I brought up the fact,that any of the cats could find a dead or dying mouse and get poisoned,not that they eat mice,but you never know..and since I am out with them,I know if they have a mouse.But there are also many other critters in my backyard that could be harmed.Just this morning Rocky and I were watching 2 mature bunnies eating my thyme :D
So,no more poison....but as far as I know it is not illegal to use poison if you have an infestation of mice.
But even though I take away the poison,we are not overrun by mice,so I believe hubby saw my point.....I already,for many years,do not use any kind of pesticide,so it does not make sense to poison anything else.
Now,when the little guys are out of the shed,they certainly are not bothering anyone :thumbs up

vcheng79
April 28th, 2005, 09:08 AM
OH!!! The mousey is SO cute!!! You are both so LUCKY!!! :crazy: I have never seen a mouse in the wild, not even when I was living in the "country side" in Victoria. But I have seen baby rabbits in my old school campus and they are so cute...actually I think I saw a rat chasing a baby rabbit once...They were all so tiny, couldn't really see which was which :p

happycats
April 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Right now we have about 20 rats all around our office building. I go out at break and lunch and watch them, I think they are cute, and very smart!
We also have a new batch of Canada Geese (eggs just hatched yesterday, 7 of them) in a planter on our office building! They are sooo cute :D

Lucky Rescue
April 28th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Chico I"m glad to hear you stopped the poison. :thumbs up Even if your cats don't eat the dead mice, crows, hawks or other birds, other people's cats, raccoons, etc will.

Right now we have about 20 rats all around our office building. I go out at break and lunch and watch them, I think they are cute, and very smart!
Keep that to yourself.:p The general population doesn't understand people like us.

vcheng - I'm sure Chico would be happy to send you some of hers. :D

happycats
April 28th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Chico
Keep that to yourself.:p The general population doesn't understand people like us.

How very true !!! I actually defend them when people talk about how "horrible" they are!

Just yesterday a woman was complaining that all the geese around here should be killed :eek: because they are so "dirty" poo everywhere. well them is fighting words!!
Dirty! Dirty! I say! humans are the dirtiest, most destructive polluting creatures on the face of the earth, and what your poo isn't dirty?? :mad:
I was so angry, I said those geese should get an award !! They have learned to co-exist with us dirty destructive humans, and you want to kill them?? :evil: (I hope she gets pooped on by a goose :evil: )

.unknown.
April 28th, 2005, 06:21 PM
omg!

that is WAY too cute.

I used to save mice from my cat all the time.

once when i was 11 i kept a mouse in an orange box after my cat was trying to eat it. I had to make a teeny tiny cast for one of it's hind legs out of toilet paper and scotch tape so it would heal.

I let him go a couple days later when his leg looked better.

Being a sucker for a fuzzy face isn't all bad!

:thumbs up

BMDLuver
April 28th, 2005, 06:40 PM
As the weather has still been lousy.... is the resident deer mouse still enjoying life in the house? I know, I know... he's going back outside! :rolleyes:

kayla
April 28th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Oh that picture of the mouse beside the nickel is soooo cute! I think you're going to have a tough time letting him go ;)

I love rodents myself! When I lived in London I used to feed the mice and rats in the Underground stations, I thought they were so cute (people there though I was nuts of course) :D

Lucky Rescue
April 28th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Little Teeter (snicker!) is doing fine and seems to have grown but it's hard to tell!:p

Yes, he will be going as soon as the weather improves. HE WILL BE GOING! AND I MEAN IT!! I'm SERIOUS!!!

I feel like a zookeeper. In the mornings make all the rounds - feed dog in kitchen, feed fat greedy cats in "their" room, go to the bathroom and tend to mouse, go into guestroom and tend to himalayan cat. :rolleyes:

hehe..maybe I should take the mousie to our adoption event next week.

BMDLuver
April 28th, 2005, 09:04 PM
He does look brighter! Would you care for a potbellied pig and a rabbit to go with your Zoo?

Lucky Rescue
April 28th, 2005, 09:10 PM
You have a potbellied pig???? Really??

Thanks but I already have a potbellied "piglet".:(

BMDLuver
April 29th, 2005, 06:19 AM
mine's cuter!

happycats
April 29th, 2005, 06:42 AM
BMDLuver, he or she :o is soooo cute!! I just love piggies ! :D