Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is my dog doing?

Kayla and Me
April 22nd, 2005, 08:59 PM
Ok..this is going to sound weird I'm sure, but I need to know what is happening, and if I should stop it.

Everytime I cross my legs, Kayla (a female), jumps up on my leg and uses her paws to try to make my leg come under her belly to rub it. Now, I'm not talking about a light little rub. She wants a full blown 'rub my belly' with your foot, hand, or anything handy. She's obsessed with it. It has to be 'just right' or she nips at my foot. I'm feeling totally USED. LOL

Kayla and Me

greaterdane
April 22nd, 2005, 09:40 PM
Ozzy does the exact same thing, if you have your foot out he literally lifts his leg and rests his tummy on my foot. Its does make you feel used :) My mothers dog Sullivan (basset hound also known as my little brother) will sit with his back against the back of the couch and have you rub his tummy, he will take his paw and slowly push your hand down to where his genitals used to be (neutered) and he will get a look of extacy on his face, its absolutely hilarious. We call him the little pervert.

Kayla and Me
April 22nd, 2005, 09:43 PM
Ozzy does the exact same thing, if you have your foot out he literally lifts his leg and rests his tummy on my foot. Its does make you feel used :) My mothers dog Sullivan (basset hound also known as my little brother) will sit with his back against the back of the couch and have you rub his tummy, he will take his paw and slowly push your hand down to where his genitals used to be (neutered) and he will get a look of extacy on his face, its absolutely hilarious. We call him the little pervert.

*laughing*.....good to know I'm not alone...but I'm not hearing any corrective measures here...LMAO

greaterdane
April 22nd, 2005, 09:45 PM
I dont really care that hes doing it, or my that my little brother (basset hound) is being a little perv. I just laugh. I havent tried to correct it, they dont do it enough to make it a problem I guess. I am sure someone else will come along shortly with a solution.

Prin
April 22nd, 2005, 09:52 PM
She IS humping, right? If ya, has she ever done it while you're wearing shorts? You may have a problem then. The thumbies are SHARP.
I would teach the "get down" command. Have you seen "Garden State" with Zach Braff? On the DVD the show the "behind the scenes" and the command for a german shepherd to hump was "Who's yer b*tch".

If she's just rubbing, I'd say "Pet your dog more and then she won't have to settle for a foot or anything else she can get". lol Just kidding.

Kayla and Me
April 22nd, 2005, 10:09 PM
She IS humping, right? If ya, has she ever done it while you're wearing shorts? You may have a problem then. The thumbies are SHARP.
I would teach the "get down" command. Have you seen "Garden State" with Zach Braff? On the DVD the show the "behind the scenes" and the command for a german shepherd to hump was "Who's yer b*tch".

If she's just rubbing, I'd say "Pet your dog more and then she won't have to settle for a foot or anything else she can get". lol Just kidding.

Can females 'hump'? LOL

If they can, then I would say kayla is absolutely obsessed with it. And, YES the thumbies are sharp. My leg is starting to look like a shreded piece of meat. However.......where's the solutions, folks??? LOL

goldenblaze
April 22nd, 2005, 10:27 PM
Can females 'hump'? LOL

If they can, then I would say kayla is absolutely obsessed with it. And, YES the thumbies are sharp. My leg is starting to look like a shreded piece of meat. However.......where's the solutions, folks??? LOL

This thread is already too funny ;) Jordie used to try that, I stopped him even though he kept trying he did stop around age one. Now he just humps other dogs.. still working on this problem..Your question can females hump, sure they can some better than some males. :p

Prin
April 22nd, 2005, 10:30 PM
My old female lab would go at it on any willing body. We didn't let her but she took advantage of guests. Including people who visited our house when we were selling...

Jemma humps a dog bed we bought for her. She never sleeps in it. She just takes advantage of it. SHe also humped my boyfriend when he was asleep once. I videotaped it... :D

Copper'sMom
May 3rd, 2005, 03:28 PM
Just saw this thread! Copper tries this to me all of the time, when I'm standing up! I allow him sometimes, because it's like he's giving me a hug :o .

BUT, I asked my vet about this because he did it quite often as a pup. She told me it is a sign of dominance! Anyone else hear of this??

BMDLuver
May 3rd, 2005, 03:34 PM
The threads that get going lately. Yes, it is a form of dominance and is actually quite common in female dogs. I usually use either a firm no or off. Simba did it for about 5 days when she arrived to my girls and once to me when I was bending over to pick something up. She stopped once she got more comfortable and understood her place in the family. :o

Prin
May 3rd, 2005, 04:54 PM
Any humping is dominance unless it's humping a female in heat. It's showing superiority and unless the humpee defends itself successfully, the humper moves over the humpee in the pack.

melanie
May 3rd, 2005, 05:18 PM
when charlie girl was a pup, 9yrs ago, she used to do this. gosh it was just so funny and she was desexed too, now she is so big it would not be too funny, but she grew out of it a long time ago. i often wondered if she was jsut confused :D

a friends 2yo maltese humps her teddy all the time, as does my mother 1yo shizu cross. perhaps its a little dog thing to hump toys??

kandy
May 4th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Our coyote loved to hump your leg - my husband would hold out his leg and shake it, and she would come running! If you didn't hold your leg perfectly still, she would growl at you. :D She never did it unless you held your leg out, so it wasn't a problem. My mom's rottie, however, would take advantage if you were on the floor. Especially if you were wrestling with someone - she would hump whoever was on the bottom!! :p I remember one time that my son and one of his friends were wrestling on the floor and the rott started to hump the friend - the rott was pretty big and the kid couldn't move! We were laughing so hard that we couldn't get up to help him! I wish that I would've had a video camera handy! :D