Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Finally Introducing Myself

kandy
April 22nd, 2005, 12:55 PM
Hello Everyone! Even though I joined the site about a month or so ago, I hadn't introduced myself yet. My name is Kandy and I live in Wyoming.

I have been posting questions, comments, etc about our Newf puppy Parker, but have to admit that I am his grandmom. We bought him for our son, who has bought his own house now and taken my baby with him!! :sad: Although I do get to see him regularly and am very involved in his care and training, I am actually dogless for the first time in over 19 years and having major withdrawals. We are expecting our newest addition to our family in early May (a pewter Newf pup) that really will be mine, all mine...all mine...all mine... :rolleyes: whoops, got distracted!

I am also mom to two green iguanas - Spike - male, 4.5 ft long, 15 years old and Jaws - female, 4 ft long, 12 years old. I have owned lots of different breeds of dogs in my life (mostly mutts) but my most unusual was a Coyote. Her mom was a wild dog that showed up at my Uncle's house in the middle of winter, starving and pregnant. He called the mom a "silver wolf" but I don't know what that is. The mom passed away when the pups were really small, but I took one in. She looked like a black/white photo of a Coyote and definetely had the howl! Most of the Coyotes here are tan/brown. I know that most people consider Coyotes pests, but I loved that dog! She has been gone since 2000 - lived to the ripe old age of 16. She was our camp guardian when we were at the lake and was our "early warning system" for rattlesnakes.

I have to say that I have found lots of useful information on this site and I love how everyone will give their honest opinion, whether that's what you were after or not :D . I started looking for someplace to ask questions after my 18 month old Newf was diagnosed with genetic kidney deformity/complete renal failure and had to be pts :sad: I wanted to learn all I could about the condition and in my web travels found this site.

Shamrock
April 22nd, 2005, 01:35 PM
Hi Kandy, and welcome to you! :)
Iguanas! To me, those are quite the exotic pets. I didnt realize they got so big! Got any pics of them?

You must be very excited about your upcoming puppy!
Glad you are enjoying the site so far, and will be looking forward to hearing about the new arrival.

kandy
April 22nd, 2005, 03:05 PM
I will have to scan a couple of pix of the lizards - they haven't been photographed for a while. They will actually grow much bigger - they will get as big as their environment allows. We've had them in a wood and glass cage that is 6 foot long, 3 foot deep and 3 foot high since Spike was about 3 - right before we got Jaws. Up until that time, Spike was allowed to run free in my house. By the way, the measurements I gave include their tails and might be a little shorter than they actually are - I could measure the old one, no problem. The 'young' one doesn't like people and will whack you with her tail if she even thinks you are trying to touch her, so I won't go there :p

lezzpezz
April 22nd, 2005, 03:19 PM
And what an interesting life with animals you have! I was pleased to read it, especially about the coyote! Domesticated no less for 16 years! I had no idea! Welcome aboard from Ontario, Canada!

chico2
April 22nd, 2005, 03:29 PM
Kandy I've had a couple of encounters with Iguanas while on vacation in Mexico,even sneaked down one night,siccors in hand(to hubbies horror),to cut one loose that had been captured and loved seeing him scamper away to freedom. :thumbs up
A Coyote???Love to see pictures..he must have been beautiful..
What I understand ,you are getting a Newfie,they are wonderful gentle giants,you must be sooo excited...you know we want pictures of him too,when he arrives :D

Prin
April 22nd, 2005, 05:32 PM
ANother newf??!?! You are making me so jealous!! Good luck!

Princesss04
April 25th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Welcome on bored even though you have been here for a while! http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/9.gif