Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Upcoming adoption event/Hudson

Lucky Rescue
April 22nd, 2005, 11:57 AM
We will be holding an adoption event on May 7 at the IGA at 484 Main Road in Hudson (in the shopping centre)

Time:10:30a.m - 4:00p.m.

Beautiful cats for adoption, two of whom have been sitting in a cage for over two months at the vet and desperately need a home!!

GWPsRock
April 22nd, 2005, 12:48 PM
In an attempt to understand (and hopefully not be flamed)....I would like to pose the following question.....

How is this different than people buying kittens/puppies from a pet store?

I understand that a rescue organization will have brought the cats in, but, how do you screen potential owners while standing outside an IGA?

(Again, I don't mean to offend, I'm new to this adoption/rescue thing, so, I'm just trying to understand)

Britishvixen21
April 22nd, 2005, 01:10 PM
I think one huge difference between a pet store and a rescue is this.

Pet stores buy kittens and puppies from puppy mills, a puppy mill can have several dozen dogs purely for breeding they are often mistreated abused, stuck in very small cages living in there own defacation and mess and only being allowed out to either mate, or give birth. Many of these animals are born to be breeders and after years of neglect end up blind, disabled, have severe internal injuries and are shot when they are not needed anymore. also the kittens and puppies that end up that the pet stores are often misrepresented in there breed type, sick, undernorished, and often end up dead or with huge vet bills within the first few months of there lives. If there new owner takes them back to the store with these problems they are replaced with another puppy and then killed. they are also left in very small cages with hot lamps again sitting in there own defacation, and the only care they are provided comes from students who work at the pet store as a saturday job and have no formal animal training.

Rescues on the other hand, are people totallly dedicated to the well being and care of animals, most rescue animals are in loving foster homes with families that have been heavily screened to be good with animals. most rescue animals go under heavy vetinary testing to make sure that they are healthy and fit, and ALL are spayed or neutered. They are free to run and play and most are only made better in there behaviour by the love and kindness of there foster homes.

Although the cats and dogs will be outside fo the IGA , they are not just going to be given away to the first joe blow that comes along, they will have to fill in a large application form to assess there suitability, Lucky will probably then do a home visit to make sure that the animals living conditions are going to suitable. and a lot of other factors will come into play before a decision is made, for instance is a pit bull puppy that will grow to be a bog dog be suitable around a family with small children - no. A pet store does not do any of the above. An adoption day raises awareness within the community of the pligh of such animal rescues, and often raises funds for them as they are all charitable organisations.

Hope this answers your questions.

good luck lucky, if you ever do one in Toronto let me know and il come give you a hand :grouphug:

Lucky Rescue
April 22nd, 2005, 02:35 PM
Thank you BV. That just about covers it.

When someone buys puppies or kittens from a pet store, big profits are being made by the breeder(puppymillers) AND the petstore and even the government.

We are not breeding cats for profit. Our cats are ALL stray or abandoned by their owners. They usually have a variety of parasites, are pregnant, starved, have ears and tails frozen off, are sometimes sick and usually intact. Some are semi-feral or feral and need a LOT of work.

We take them right to the vet, where any medical problems are taken care of and the cat is spayed or neutered. We are not only trying to get homes for these cats (who would have died otherwise) but trying to cut down on the population by making sure ALL are s/n.

All this costs money, and since we are not independantly wealthy, we must charge an adoption fee, which usually does NOT cover the cost of the cat's care at the vet. If we are lucky, the cat is healthy and/or neutered already. If we are not lucky, it can cost up to 700$+ to return to health, as did a Persian who had bladder stones and needed surgery.

We are non-profit, and survive on sponsorship, donations and adoption fees.

Usually the cat will be fostered (often with me) or if no foster care is available the cat must remain at the vet.

WE are not selling intact animals to anyone who has a few bucks in their pocket. We will not adopt to anyone who wants to declaw,to anyone who has dumped a cat in the past for frivolous reasons, or to anyone who will not sign a contract or pay a fee.
These cats go only to the very best homes possible and we always follow up to make sure everything is ok. There are no guarantees in life, but we do what we can to make sure these cats have a chance which is more than they had when we picked them up.

GWPsRock
April 22nd, 2005, 03:45 PM
thanks, that does help.....

The answers were what I expected, I just wanted to make sure! :)

Good Luck with the event!

Lucky Rescue
April 22nd, 2005, 05:12 PM
Thank you!!:)

I guess one of the best examples of what we stand for can be seen in "Comet".

A feral adult tomcat, he had somehow managed to survive at least 3 years outside.

When he was trapped, he had severe rhino and the worst case of earmites our vet had ever seen,(he had scratched his ears into hamburger and was covered in blood) in addition to malnutrition and abcesses.

He was at the vet for over a month, struggling to survive. He needed to be anesthetized to have his ears treated and his heart stopped on the operating table. His will to live was strong, although he had suffered so much. Thanks to Dr. Louise Lavallee for being so caring for one battered tomcat and getting Comet through this.

We were frantic as how many people want to adopt an adult feral tom who needed tons of meds every day and walked with a head tilt from the earmites?

WE could not give up on him after he fought so hard to survive and a miracle occured in the form of a home with a loving and compassionate lady.

It doesn't get much better than that!!:)

Lucky Rescue
May 2nd, 2005, 06:28 PM
The May 7 adoption event has been CANCELLED.

twinmommy
May 3rd, 2005, 10:43 AM
How come, Lr?

Lucky Rescue
May 3rd, 2005, 01:17 PM
A personal emergency has come up.:(

PamperedPets
May 3rd, 2005, 03:33 PM
Can't wait to meet you all! C U there!