Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs behaviour together

Eleni
April 22nd, 2005, 10:33 AM
there is a Golden retreiver one of our neighbors has that sam just loves to play with

normally they play very well together, last night however sam was a rascal, he was in a bad mood or something he was jumping all over her and just being a pain, but before we could get him away from her she barked and snapped at him, not to bite him, but more to tell him off.

what do i do in this situation? separate them and call it a day, or is it the older dog just correcting sam for his bad manners??

if its the manners bit I dont think it would be entirely a bad thing for a older dog to correct his manners when around one another because he seems to think any dog is fair game for rough play. and we all know thats just not true.

is it dangerous to let the other dog correct him? [I honestly beleive she wont bite him and the owner says she wont bite him as well]

Eleni

Lucky Rescue
April 22nd, 2005, 10:57 AM
Letter an older, sensible dog correct your puppy for his bad manners is great, and I would never interfere.

Your puppy needs to be taught how to behave properly with other dogs, and if he does not, he may encounter a dog who is not so tolerant and could get hurt.

You should also be teaching him "Enough" to make him knock it off when he's being a pain.:p

Eleni
April 22nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
I am tryign to train him enough, sometimes its effective other times he just doesnt do it, or he hears me looks at me and continues on.

before in this situation Id take sammy back upstairs since if he cant play nice i wont allow him to play.

but with the older dog willing to correct him but not hurt him m more tempted to let her tell him to quit it

whe she corrected him he yelped from fear, and his behaviour immediately changed, it was quite impressive

Eleni

Prin
April 22nd, 2005, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't interfere unless the pup just keeps going and ignores the snaps. That could end up dangerous.

doggy lover
April 22nd, 2005, 03:53 PM
The same kind of thing happened to me the other day, we met a woman and her dobe older female, Tucker was being nosey and bothering the dog so she nipped him. He yelped and went and sat behind my legs and kept peeking out at her. The woman was really sorry but I told her that it was alright no one was hurt other than Tucker's pride and it served him right for being a pain. This is normal dog behaviour the dogs mother would have done the same to it when it was a puppy. They have to learn older dogs deserve respect.

nymph
April 22nd, 2005, 04:08 PM
I actually borrowed my friend's older female dog to each Diego some manners when he was younger. Yeah I wouldn't interfere.

kandy
April 22nd, 2005, 04:17 PM
When we got our first newf, our older dog (Boon) got along with her really well. Boon was a Corgi X (I think) and the pup got to be bigger than her very quickly. While the pup was small, Boon would correct her if she was too rough with the play, but I noticed as the pup got bigger, Boon wouldn't correct her anymore. The pup (Lacey) loved to head butt Boon in the ribs, but as she got bigger, I really worried that she would hurt Boon. I never scolded Boon for snarling or nipping at Lacey because I knew that Lacey was being a butt, but I did try to teach Lacey to be nice to Boon. Boon was never the dominate dog when we had our Coyote either, so I think that as Lacey got bigger, Boon got more submissive. Maybe she realized that Lacey could squash her flat! :rolleyes: I don't think that Boon ever taught Lacey any manners, but when she'd start snarling, Lacey would back off quick, with a real hurt look on her face like why are you being mean when I'm just trying to play?

jjgeonerd
April 22nd, 2005, 05:39 PM
My parents older dog (9 years old) snaps at Gabby (1 year old) every so often. She has never hurt her...just wants to tell her to back off. Gabby can be a bit hyper and/or inconsiderate of other dog's space when she is excited :evil: .

She will also "scold" Gabby when she runs too far away from my parents property...they have 5 acres in a very small town. When Gabby finally comes back, Murphy will go meet her at the end of the driveway and follow her back while nipping at her back leg and growling/grunting/barking at her. It is pretty funny. Usually Gabby just ignores her though :p .

The rest of the time they are great friends. :D