Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP! Need to cut cat's hair?

TwoCats
April 21st, 2005, 06:24 PM
Hey everyone. This is about Shelby, her hair has never been cut. My wife and I brush her every week, but it seems that her hair is OUT OF CONTROL! I have been thinking about this for some time. I think she is do for a hair cut. Now, it seems that there is onle ONE pet grooming place in the East Bay Area that is willing to cut a cat's hair (15miles away) . They wanted something like $80 bucks to trim her up. I think it's too much. So I'm willing to do it myself with a little help of my friend (to hold her down) Like most cat's, she is frightened by unusal loud noises, so is there a set of Quite pet grooming clippers out there? Last time we left Shelby in the care of a vet, she was.....how should I say.....violent. So we are not comfrontable leaving her at the grooming salon. Any suggestions?

She needs a lighter coat for this summer, someone has to have an answer.
Thank You in advance, for any advice that might help Shelby.
http://www.freephotohost.com/22/Shelbyshari.jpg

Lucky Rescue
April 21st, 2005, 08:46 PM
She has the prettiest face!

Is she very matted? Long haired cats need to be brushed more often than once a week to keep mats away.

If she is badly matted, you can get your vet to shave her. This should cost much less than a groomer would charge.

CyberKitten
April 21st, 2005, 08:58 PM
I agree with LR - take her to the vet or a good groomer but I;d choose the vet first and have her groomed properly. Long haired cats especailly need to be groomed every day. I have a Siamese who needs little grooming but she loves so I do it every day anyway and now I am fostering sphinexes who are mega work in the grooming department. No hair but they need mega bath, ear, claws, toes care.

Prin
April 21st, 2005, 08:59 PM
The vet I used to work for did only really bad cats who had to be anaesthetized to be shaved... Since then, I've shaved a couple myself and all you need is 3 people... One to hold the chest, one to hold the back end (feet, mostly) and a shaver. I also use a cat muzzle for this. It makes it sooooo much easier. It's just a piece of material that covers the eyes and velcros in the back. As for the quiet razor, I don't think it exists. Be super careful about the heat of the razor. Even the animal ones overheat. After every 2 strokes, you should check if it is hot on your hand.

The most important thing is if you are not sure, do whatever you can to not hurt the cat. If you hurt the cat, you probably won't be able to try to shave her ever again... I'd stay away from the head too.

CyberKitten
April 21st, 2005, 09:22 PM
Oops, I did not read the entire 1st post - one of those days! New PT family members, dying friends, dying patients, end of the term - I am lucky to be sane, lol - but it's no excuse. I see where she had a bad experience at a groomer's and does not care for the vet's. Many cats do not - care to go to the vet's that is. My YY is still young enuf to like the vet and she is laid back - amazingly given her breed. BUT that might be the way to go unless you really know what you are doing.

Cinnabear
April 21st, 2005, 11:54 PM
My vet said to give the cat kid's gravol to help calm them down before shaving. Also have her nails clipped before shaving. I agree on getting a muzzle too.

CyberKitten
April 22nd, 2005, 01:07 AM
Gravol can also make a cat hyper - I have seen the results in the ER when suturing up the scares on kids attacked by their normally quiet and sanguine kitties. I would stick with cocculine (can be purcahsed at a Health Food store or more cheaply at Superstore/Loblaws) or Rescue remedy or both! Or ask the vet for valium.