Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Illegal Conduct or Religious Freedom?

Shamrock
April 21st, 2005, 06:04 PM
All individuals have a right to express their religious freedom of course, and it should be respected.
But - should it over-ride our laws?

This I dont "get': :confused:
The residents of a small community here in B.C have long practiced polygamy, yet no charges have ever been laid. Our government is clearly reluctant to intervene, opting to turn a blind eye to the marriage practices of this religious cult.
At a "summit" conference earlier this week, some of the women residents defended their lifestyle as their own personal choice, denied allegations of arranged marriages and child brides.They stated that girls were encouraged to wait until "at least 18". However, past investigation into this secretive community revealed some girls of this age already had two and even three children.
Do you feel they should be permitted exemption from legal prosecution based on the religious beliefs they hold?

I dont see an exception should be made, even in the name of religous expression. Dont the laws apply to us all across the board?
By ignoring it, the govt condones an illegal practice.
Why?

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Edmon...999911-sun.html

Safyre
April 21st, 2005, 10:46 PM
The words IN GOD WE TRUST are all over the walls of the justice system, religious beliefs are held high.

The issue of poligamy is a subject that bothers me as well.
Half of me says, if they are not hurting anything, leave them be.
The other half, is disgusted by the behaviour.

To me, there are TONS of things around the worlds, different religions, that do things i don't agree with. however, that is thier lifestyle, that is what they believe. If they are not hurting anyone else by practising thier religion, why should we intervene? The world needs all types. Who are WE to say what is right or what is wrong?
You wouldn't walk up to a Catholic and say' you're religion is wrong, and we are going to prosecute you for it' so why do it to other religions?
Is my point getting lost in my rambling, sorry if it is...

Prin
April 21st, 2005, 11:55 PM
Personally, I think any organized religion has it's cons. It's hard too, because those girls may think it's ok only because it is all they know. At least some Mormons are allowed to leave a commune when they are 16 to see the world and decide from there whether or not they want to stay a part of the church. I mean you have to be so brave to leave, but at least they get the option.

There is so much trouble in the world caused by religious fundamentalism. Everything in moderation...

CyberKitten
April 22nd, 2005, 02:11 AM
Any man who marries a child bride in the name of any religion should be charged with sexual assault, among other things. I too think extremes of any variety - political, religious, etc are scary!

Sneaky2006
April 22nd, 2005, 08:10 AM
By ignoring it, the govt condones an illegal practice. Yes! How could they ignore it?? 10 wives, 20 something children (or more usually) Children having children... how can that not be illegal? Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

I wouldn't have a problem with it and say "leave them be" also but when people are brainwashed since birth into thinking this is the only way of life, something has to be done about it. Within these cults, the women (children!) think this life is normal, they don't know any different and that's what really bothers me. I feel sorry for them.Do you feel they should be permitted exemption from legal prosecution based on the religious beliefs they hold?Religion is religion, law is law, there's got to be a line somewhere. Imagine if everyone was like that? Child molesters, killers, drug dealers, they could say it's their religion, why can't they keep doing it?

Beaglemom
April 22nd, 2005, 08:53 AM
Normally I would say to each their own, but when it involves grown men marrying young children, I have a problem with it. Kids should be allowed to be kids and enjoy their childhood, not be married and have children of their own. Women's bodies are not ready for motherhood at that young of an age. Any other circumstance and these men would be charged with statutory rape. I think it is wrong unless they are consenting adults who are completely happy being polygamous.

chico2
April 22nd, 2005, 09:40 AM
I watched a documentary about one such"family"and to be honest,I was stunned...to top it off this man had all his wives and children living on wellfare(in the US)and going door to door selling trinkets.

The punishment of the children involved were always physical :sad:
I cannot believe,these young girls,cherish the thought of marrying,in this case,a big fat old man :evil:
I believe the girls speaking up on the news, were threatened and told what to say.
As human beings we have a way of accepting a fact we feel we cannot change,which probably is the case with many of these women,a thourough investigation is needed to protect the innocent and give them a clear choice.
These marriages are not legal in any way,childabuse and sex with a minor isn't either.
As long as nobody cares,many of these women will have to go on living this way,whether they want to or not.

badger
April 22nd, 2005, 10:11 AM
CULT: A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

Their beliefs may be expressed in the language of 'religion', but really it is a cult and there is constant subtle and not-so-subtle brainwashing going on all the time. No alternative point of view is presented. That is the essence of it. I wonder if the govt. funds their schools. Of course the girls are yanked so early, they barely have time for the three RRRs, if that.

I think it is a wonder that anybody gets the idea, much less the courage, to leave, but apparently some of the young people are making their way out, also women stuck in bad situations. Did you notice that at the public meeting the other night, they 'committed' to not marrying off the girls until they were eighteen. Yeah right. The objective is to enslave them, so the earlier the better.

I don't know why the authorities put up with it either. No doubt they've examined their options and decided that it is a no-win situation.