Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Horrible eBay Auction!

chocolatecoffee
April 21st, 2005, 02:11 PM
This is a terrible eBay auction, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3971074586&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1#ebayphotohosting. I guarantee it will make you sick to your stomach. If you have an eBay account, please report it. The more people reporting it, the better.

CyberKitten
April 21st, 2005, 02:16 PM
That is disgusting - it should be removed. My guess is this guy may have made the threat before. Gawd!!

Shamrock
April 21st, 2005, 02:23 PM
OMG! I feel ill :sick:
I dont have an ebay acct.. but, I hope this abomination gets pulled and quick!

What a pathetic excuse for a human being.. :mad:

Princesss04
April 21st, 2005, 02:27 PM
That is awful! I do not have an account or I would report it! :mad:

LittleLoves
I don't get it. :confused: It's a joke right?

Eleni
I suspect thats a spinoff from this site

www.savetoby.com

warning its horrible and disturbing

Eleni

chocolatecoffee
April 21st, 2005, 02:29 PM
That is the most disturbing thing I have ever seen. I don't see why people support it either, it's just encouraging more people to do the exact same thing. Poor animals!

Edited to add: I don't know if it's a joke or not, but it should be deleted regardless, it's just sick. I hope it is, but that also means this animal is with somebody who is disturbed enough to think up the joke and think it's funny.

Eleni
April 21st, 2005, 02:31 PM
I dont get it either, makes me sick to my stomach

Eleni

BeagleMum
April 21st, 2005, 02:33 PM
I have reported this to e-bay. Lets hope it gets deleted. Absolutely disgusting.

Jackie467
April 21st, 2005, 02:33 PM
I just created an account for e-bay. How do I go about reporting this?

BeagleMum
April 21st, 2005, 02:35 PM
Go to the security centre at the bottom. It took me a minute to find it. Answer the 3 questions then send them an e-mail.

aussiemedogs
April 21st, 2005, 02:38 PM
I have an ebay account, I've reported the listing, should be off of there within 24-48 hours. Sick people are all around us!

Princesss04
April 21st, 2005, 02:44 PM
I called my Dad and got his id info and I sent a Email to the people in charge! Thanks alot for posting this maybe it will get taken care of. This makes me so mad! :mad: :mad:

Jackie467
April 21st, 2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks guys. I reported it. Hopefully it will be off soon. When you guys sent the e-mail did you just put the item number or did you write something with it?

BeagleMum
April 21st, 2005, 02:48 PM
I just wrote that it is not a funny joke and to please remove it. I also included the #.

JDG
April 21st, 2005, 02:55 PM
I reported it too, like Grover4. Hopefully if enough people complain it will be removed.

nymph
April 21st, 2005, 03:05 PM
It's got to be a joke! The bonsai kittens were just a joke, but people who make this kind of jokes make me sick as well! :yuck: :mad:

Princesss04
April 21st, 2005, 03:15 PM
I would hope this is just a joke but you never know. That is the sad part with people anymore. :mad:

aussiemedogs
April 21st, 2005, 03:20 PM
I also wrote to the idiot person that placed a bid and asked why they did, I am going to ask them to withdraw it. This *hole doesn't need more publicity!

mafiaprincess
April 21st, 2005, 03:31 PM
And the auction is gone. Yay!

Trinitie
April 21st, 2005, 03:35 PM
Good going folks! That HORRIBLE "item" has been removed! I tried to report it, but it's no longer valid!!!

You guys did it!!!!! :thumbs up :thumbs up :thumbs up :thumbs up

kayla
April 21st, 2005, 03:36 PM
I just went to the savetoby.com site and can't believe he has made almost $25,000!!! Why would someone pay for him not to eat his bunny when he clearly is just doing for the money and will probably kill it in the end anyway? Besides (don't jump on me for this) people eat animals every day and no one cares about them, people eat cows, pigs, bunnies, even dogs! Why give someone $50,000 not to eat one bunny?!

Oh btw the ad on ebay is gone, I just checked and it says it has been removed.

Eleni
April 21st, 2005, 03:38 PM
yeah that site is horrible,

breaks my heart :mad:

aussiemedogs
April 21st, 2005, 03:39 PM
They have taken the auction off! yay for ebay!

greaterdane
April 21st, 2005, 03:48 PM
What was the auction for, I didnt get a chance to see it, not that I want to, but I am curious.

Eleni
April 21st, 2005, 03:50 PM
the guy was gonna get rid of the dog if he diddnt get money for its obedience training, and there was a pic of hi holding a gun to the dogs head

Eleni

Princesss04
April 21st, 2005, 03:52 PM
Good work guys! Doesn't it make you feel good to know that your vocies and caring made a differance. :D

greaterdane
April 21st, 2005, 03:53 PM
Oh dear! I am glad I didnt see that then!

aussiemedogs
April 21st, 2005, 04:24 PM
Whoever was responsible for the Save Toby account, I don't think he is actually going to get the money, paypal was notified and has stopped this person from rec' money!

Prin
April 21st, 2005, 09:06 PM
What a disgusting person. I'm glad it was yanked, but shame on all the people who paid.

Staciewells1
April 21st, 2005, 09:26 PM
According to Snopes, the 'Save Toby' website is a hoax and until recently had a disclaimer saying as much. If eveyone would stop talking about it, maybe it will go away.
(Please don't think that I'm condoning this or dismissing it as humorous. I lost my Franklynn, an English lop, a few months ago after 9 years.)

nymph
April 22nd, 2005, 09:00 AM
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/savetoby.asp

Save Toby

Claim: Fellow threatens to eat his pet rabbit unless $50,000 is donated through his web site.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2005]

Is there really a guy holding a rabbit ransom at savetoby.com? It says he rescued the rabbit and is threatening to eat it unless he receives $50 grand in donations through paypal.

Origins: At Save Toby! the beginning of February 2005, we began receiving e-mails from puzzled readers about www.savetoby.com, a site alleging to be run by a fellow intent upon killing and eating his pet rabbit unless his demands for $50,000 were met.

Bunny lovers everywhere can once again breathe easily: savetoby.com is a hoax. Although the site now lacks a disclaimer, a visitor to it on 9 February 2005 spotted one that said: "Note: this is a joke: please only donate to buy gear or help support savetoby.com." Even without such explicit clarification, certain things about the site should make the buffoonery clear:

* The premise of the threat ("Send money or I'll kill the rabbit") gives away the jest. Society regards rabbits as one of the more disposable pets: every year thousands of bunnies end up with Humane Societies or animal rescue groups because their previous owners very quickly proved unable or unwilling to care for them. While rabbits do make fine pets, they also require veterinary care (including one-time spaying/neutering and annual vaccinations against disease), specialized diets, and reasonably large indoor cages, all of which represent a level of commitment many who vaguely thought they might like to keep a rabbit or two are generally unaware of at the time of adoption. Also, despite their resemblance to plush toys, rabbits do not like to be held, petted, or carted about, which means those who think they're taking on animal companions they can hug and squeeze to their hearts' content discover only after the fact that the sort of critter they thought they were bringing into their homes isn't at all what they ended up with. Consequently, any number of cute, fluffy pet bunnies are unceremoniously turned loose outdoors (where they live, on average, for three days), killed by their owners, or are handed over to animal shelters and rescue groups.

The "Save Toby" jape swings upon the notion of this particular rabbit's cuteness, inspiring folks to pry open their wallets to the tune of $16,380.18 . . . in a world where rabbits are regarded as worthless and animal shelters can't find donors to support their work.

* The 'Balance:' figure which purports to showcase the amount already extorted (located near the bottom of the site's main page in a section labeled 'Premium Account Overview') is a fixed graphic, not a counter. It is periodically edited to increase the number displayed so as to maintain the appearance that folks actually are chipping in to preserve Toby's life. As of 1 March 2005, the amount shown was $16,380.18.

Similar to savetoby.com is Save Bernd! (http://www.krohm.net/bernd.htm), another "pay or the rabbit gets it" site run by an operator who threatens to turn Bernd, a pet bunny he found outdoors on a rainy night, into "Rabbit with Chanterelle" for his Easter dinner if visitors don't donate 1,000,000 Euros by 27 March 2005. (Warning: The "Save Bernd!" site is pop-up hell. If you go to that site, don't expect to easily back out of the many new browser windows its advertising programs will open. We do not offer an clickable link to it because some of our readers have reported strange behaviors on the part of their computers after visiting the "Save Bernd!" site.)

Bernd was previously scheduled to become someone's New Year's dinner; earlier versions of the site announced "I swear by God, I will have this lovely rabbit for New Year's Eve Dinner if my account doesn't show a balance of at least 1,000000 by latest 31st Dec 2004!" (It now says, "I swear by God, I will have this lovely rabbit for Easter Sunday's Dinner if my account doesn't show a balance of at least 1,000,000 by latest 27th March 2005!")

At the very end of the "Save Bernd!" page in teeny, tiny print is the message "it's a joke."

That same rabbit appears on www.savefluffy.com, yet another 'bunny in peril' site that promises a future as rabbit stew for the lagomorph pictured thereon unless its owner recieves $1,000,000 by 31 December 2005.

Those truly moved by the plight of Toby, Bernd, or Fluffy should consider donating a bit of their spare cash to their local animal shelters or rescue groups, entities that all too often have bunnies dumped upon them by those who have decided they can no longer be bothered to keep their pets, or to rabbit-specific groups such as the Rabbit Rescue and Rehab of New York, Tidewater Rabbit Rescue of Virginia, and Zooh Corner.

Barbara "bunny money" Mikkelson

Eleni
April 22nd, 2005, 09:04 AM
According to Snopes, the 'Save Toby' website is a hoax and until recently had a disclaimer saying as much. If eveyone would stop talking about it, maybe it will go away.
(Please don't think that I'm condoning this or dismissing it as humorous. I lost my Franklynn, an English lop, a few months ago after 9 years.)

I diddnt realise it was a hoax. Had I realised it i wouldnt have mentioned it

Eleni