Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Itune albums

raingirl
April 21st, 2005, 10:42 AM
Ok.. my BF's bday is in a month. I already had the perfect idea for his bday present, but now am thinking of changing it. His copy of the complete Lord of the Rings binding broke, so I was going to get him a new one.

I was just on Itunes though, and noticed that Smashing Pumpkins released a bsides and rarities album a few weeks ago. 114 songs for $112. Not bad.

I like Itunes because I can download individual songs or the whole album. Some of the songs on the album my BF already has because he is a big fan. Should I buy the whole album, or go song by song through his collection to see if he already has it??

Prin
April 21st, 2005, 09:46 PM
I'm a giant Pumpkins fan and even though I have all the CD's I would still LOVE to have it. (if you have money to spare of course). Chances are the old ones are a little beat up too, and the new one might have songs that are hard to find...

Lucky man!!

CyberKitten
April 21st, 2005, 10:02 PM
:) It is actually still legal in Canada to download songs (for free) on the various peer to peer apps - like WinMx and Kazaa and others. (even entire albums). If I find the album, I'll let you know. There is a program called Albumwrap that allows you to wrap the many songs - usually individual MP3 files in a CD - and then post it online as an entire album. I've never done that but I've downloaded the .albw files and then extracted them. You could do that and then burn a CD for him. An MP3 one would have all files - or if he has an IPod or similar player, he can play them there. I have a Pocket PC that actuially doubles as an MP3 player - I can check my email, write a script, check for drug interactions and listen to music all at the same time.

What's the name of the album??? (I am not a SPumpkins' fan - cannot name even one CD, lol)

Safyre
April 21st, 2005, 10:51 PM
I'm a lil confused by CyberKittens response - itunes are not free downloads, you pay to download from iTunes. iTunes are LEGAL in canada.

RainGirl- That will probably be the best price you'll find on Itunes for the album if it was just released. if you wait a few months they usually have specials on certain albums. i would say go ahead and get it, that would be an awesome present. (I used to work for pepsi, and worked on last years Itunes Promotion, know way too much about iTunes)

Prin
April 21st, 2005, 11:10 PM
Yes, Safyre, itunes are legal, but in Canada, all the free ones are legal too.

What's the name of the album??? (I am not a SPumpkins' fan - cannot name even one CD, lol) It all depends on what you listened to as a teenager. Since Elvis was just coming out when you were a teenager, I would be surprised if you didn't find the Pumpkins "just noise"... lol Just kidding of course... (I hope Chico doesn't read this...)

CyberKitten
April 22nd, 2005, 02:21 AM
I said downloading from peer to peer applications is still legal (ie Winmx, etc) - I have never tried itunes - still will not pay for my music when I do not need to. It is before the court at the monent tho. It is illegal in the US however.

and who's Elvis? lol (I was never an Elvis fan, he was before my time - I think he was one of those guys that you had to be there for, lol) Even the Beatles - whose music I love was more the music of my babysitter, :) I grew up in the 70's tho I still preferred late 60's music and folk music. Like some 70's stuff tho - John Denver, Carole King, Bob Seger, LOVE Fleetwood Mac. I know every word to Rhiannon and Landslide. (I did like the Dixie Chicks version too - esp the one where Sheryl Crowe sings the lead).

Anyway.....how can I get the album for you if I do not know the name??? (My nephew is a Punkins fan - he'll know). Are they the ones who sing Rage Against the Machine? That is a kewl song. My Hfx secretary sings backup for Jimmy Rankin - she may know (a Maritime singer for those of you who will ask who??? Any East Coast music fans here?).

Prin
April 22nd, 2005, 02:09 PM
I think it is a set of all the albums CK... That is why it is special. :)

raingirl
April 22nd, 2005, 03:09 PM
It's just called "Rarities and B-sides" released April 2005 (so it's VERY new). It's a several disc box set with 114 songs on it. I searched all the free sites and no one has it. It's too many songs to even try and find each one individually either. I only use Itunes if I can't find something for free elseware.

Here is a link to the album at MSN

http://music.msn.com/album/?album=41428939

Prin
April 22nd, 2005, 04:58 PM
I looked and most of the songs are on other B-side albums, but a lot of them I haven't heard before (like the "demo" one). If he is really a fan with every album, I'm telling you he'll love it. It's fun to have them all in one place. There are only a couple of the common "radio" ones, too, so it's not so repetitive.

raingirl
April 22nd, 2005, 10:13 PM
Yeah, he's a big fan. I've got a few weeks to think about it though....