Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy class ?

LabMom
April 21st, 2005, 10:39 AM
Ok I was planning on taking my puppy for puppy classes at petco b/c it said 8wks to 6mo old (he is 9 wks). I just called and they said he has to have a rabies vaccine first. Well, they don't get that until 4-6 mo old right/ i don't get it. Is there something that i'm missing?

raingirl
April 21st, 2005, 10:57 AM
I don't know, never had a puppy before, and I don't know what the rules are in NJ.

If you want to socialize your puppy in the meantime, you can bring it to meet people and places, and to see dogs you know have had their shots.

I know you had a problem with your toddler and the dog. I can suggest you get a dog training book called "teach yourself visually dog training". Here is a link to it at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764569139/qid%3D1114095124/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-1581663-6784068?v=glance

it's a great book. It was written and endorsed by many internationally known dog trainers (including the one I go to in Canada here who trains super dogs). It is a positive training book.

I wanted to make a few suggestions regarding the toddler and the puppy. Baby gates are amazing things. They can really help with restricting a dog to a certain area. But they are just the same as a crate if the area the dog is in isn't frequented by humans. Have you thought about an xpen maybe? It's like a fenced in enclosure you can put your dog in like a play pen for babies. But it's bigger than a crate. That way your older kids can go in and play with the dog, and your toddler can stay outside.

I also condone the use of a leash for the puppy when your todler is around. Get a leash you can tie to you (they have ones with little connecters at each end, and Drings or holes to attach them along the leash. Your toddler can learn that when the dog is attached to you, it can't get them, and you are training your dog to behave on the leash at the same time. that way, your toddler will slowly get used to having the dog around.

BeagleMum
April 21st, 2005, 01:29 PM
I was told that a puppy can get their rabies shot any time after 12 weeks. Spencer has already gone through puppy class and is now into basic. He started at 11 weeks. Not sure if the rules are different in Canada.

kandy
April 21st, 2005, 06:07 PM
I know in my area (Green River, Wyoming) you can't take a pup to an obedience class until they are 6 months. That could be just the instructor's preference or may be health related - but I don't think they ever even asked for proof of vaccination, they just wanted to know how old the dog was. We are lucky that we even have any dog classes here at all. Most of the time, no one will teach them and if you can find someone to teach them, you can't find a place for them to teach! :mad:

Prin
April 21st, 2005, 10:27 PM
No good reason. Usually they ask for bordetella, and if common sense would prevail here, they wouldn't ask for rabies (it is given at 6 months...). Are there bats or racoons taking the class too?

mafiaprincess
April 22nd, 2005, 11:06 AM
2 sets of shots and bordatella were required for me to take my pup to puppy school. My pup got her rabies at 4 months at the end of the rest of her shots though.

kandy
April 22nd, 2005, 11:51 AM
With our dogs, we have always started training before the pup was allowed in obedience classes (if we could find a class). We start with sit and work up to lay down, stay, shake (with both paws), roll over, etc. My husband also thinks its cool to teach them how to give hugs. He gets down on his knees and has the pup put their paws around his neck and give him kisses or lay their head on his shoulder. Our new pup is just now 16 weeks and he can sit, stay (sometimes), shake and lay down. He is working on the rolling over, but hasn't quite got it down yet.