Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Runs, how big?!?!

Freyja
April 20th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Hello All,

Lindy, my 18 month Shepherd/Huskey cross has become an escape artist!!
She was picked up today by Animal control. She has also DESTROYED my back yard with her digging. So.... I need a dog run. Do you have any leads on where to get one. Lynx Brand fencing wants $500 for a 6x10 foot chain link. How big does it need to be?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Lucky Rescue
April 20th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Hi there! Nice to hear from you and Lindy!!:)

Lindy is part Husky right? Natural escape artist.

How big the run needs to be depends on how long she will be in it. Is 6 feet high enough? You might need to cover the top too, since she'll need a doghouse if she'll be out there any length of time and she will use the dog house as a stepping stone to freedom.

It might not cost much more to make your own fence higher. You can also install a hot wire along the top, like those used to keep livestock in. One shock and she won't try escaping again. This could be a much more economical solution.

Freyja
April 20th, 2005, 10:12 PM
I have blocked off where I think she got out. There was a mess of junk down the side of the garage that my ex left behind. I had it removed and the fence isnt as high back there. Now with the junk gone, she went over the fence. The rest of the yard has 6 ft fence. I put blocks on the low fence so that hopefully is solved. That doesn't solve the digging mess though. It looks like land mines have gone off in my yard. I love to sit in the yard, I love to garden. She has made that impossible. I would like to have her in the run when she is in the back yard unsupervised. She is totally a house dog now by the way. She sleeps on a bed in the living room at night. She has come a long long way!!!!!!!!!!!! And so have I! ;)

SnowDancer
April 20th, 2005, 10:25 PM
I have dreamed of a dog run for my Eskimo to use for his "walks" during winter - except he won't stay out without me. My dream dog run would have to have a floor and a top otherwise the 21 lb. escape artist would climb the fence and then topple head first from the top of the fence and break his neck. Your dog is bigger and would likely survive the jump, but would not solve your problem as she would still get out. So I think you would need the top - even though your dog doesn't live outside. Almost need a super giant kennel.

Schwinn
April 21st, 2005, 10:00 AM
We bought one at Home Depot for about $100 I think. It's about 8' high, and I think the ground area is something like 6'x6'. Instead of making it a square, I made a 12'x3' "u" shape and put it against the wall, that way she had room to run. That seemed to work pretty good.

Copper'sMom
April 21st, 2005, 11:19 AM
I know about "escape artists!" We have our husky cross outside on a run made of aircraft cable. There is a roller on it and his line is attached to the roller. We MUST chech the roller regularily as it wears out often! Also his line is checked for kinks and any damage which could lead to breakage. Currently we have the line padlocked on the aircraft cable just because the padlock doesn't wear out as fast as the roller(depends on what the padlock is made of!) Don't worry, he's not locked on the line where you can't get him off without a key!!! Also the clasp should be one that is more difficult to put on, because if he's horsing around, the clasp will undo itself!

This is how our dog is kept in our yard. Any escapes are usually our fault, as it is OUR responsibility to check for wear and tear on his lines, rollers, clasps and collar!! He's on a 100ft run. We allow hjm to dig under the trees as he pleases! Not so pretty, but that's a sacrafice you make with some dogs!

oops! i almost forgot! If you are going to have the fenced in enclosure, you might want to have the fence extend underground or put cement pads around the perimeter of the fence on the inside. You'll have to do this if your dog is a digger!!!

Lise
April 21st, 2005, 11:43 AM
For our kennel runs indoors the dogs have four by eight feet ,out doors they have four by sixteen.We leave the run doors open all day in the summer so they have full run.We also have a sixteen by sixteen run.These are larger than most boarding kennels,but they allow most dogs enough room to stretch thier legs.Our runs are eight feet high and covered you would be amazed at the climbing ability of some dogs.If you are looking for chain link I can give you name of company we bought ours.Much less expensive for the same quality.

Freyja
April 22nd, 2005, 08:57 AM
Thank you all. She is not going to like the run, but I don't have a choice. I am going to do a perimeter of pressure treated lumber and stone flags. Gravel base, 6' high with a roof. It will be about 12x4 along the side of the garage with a bit coming out into the yard under a beautiful elm tree. Home depot dog house and she is hopefully set!!