Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spencer has a cut

BeagleMum
April 20th, 2005, 06:25 PM
When I got home from work tonight I noticed that Spencer has a cut on his chest. It isn't bleeding but there is a scab on it. It doesn't look very deep so I don't think that I need to take him to the vet. I have no idea how he would have gotten it. We were at my Dad's last night and the dogs were playing so he may have gotten it then but I am not too sure. It may have even been this morning when we were leaving and he was trying to jump the gate.

Anyway, should I try to do anything with the cut now or just leave it alone? I figured that it would heal on it's own and it doesn't seem to be bothering him. I was even able to touch it and he didn't say anything.

What would you do?

BMDLuver
April 20th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I would leave it alone and just watch for any sign of redness around the area. If it were deep, you would have come home to evidence of blood and it would bother him to poke at it.

Karin
April 20th, 2005, 06:42 PM
It's not a fresh wound if it already has a scab over it. Do you see any dried, caked blood in the wound area? If not, you can clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide. I would keep him indoors for a few days and watch him.

Do you leave him outside while you are at work?

bremarie03
April 20th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I heard you shouldn't use hydrogen peroxide on wounds anymore (human or canine, etc.). I was told it isn't recommended anymore, because while it does kill bacteria, it also kills the new tissue that is forming....anyone else hear this?

coppperbelle
April 20th, 2005, 07:29 PM
I had not heard that about peroxide but I do know that it has a very short shelf life after opened.

BeagleMum
April 20th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Spencer is a beagle so he is in the house when we are away. I had taken him out for a walk tonight and he got a bit dirty so I just cleaned him with water, no soap. There was a bit of dried blood but nothing too bad and nothing on any of his blankets.

I will keep an eye on him to make sure that it heals properly.

Thanks

twinmommy
April 20th, 2005, 08:39 PM
I never heard that,bremarie, but then again wouldnt' anything with disinfecting properties have the same effect on the bacteria, as on the re-building tissues? I believe that the greater good would come from cleaning it out, and that if tissues "build" on top of infection, that's where you can have abcesses, but I'm no expert.

Karin
April 20th, 2005, 08:53 PM
For a topical cleaning you can not go wrong with hydrogen peroxide. Anything worse than an a scratch or abrasion, common sense would lead you to the nearest vet for treatment. (In the real world)