Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Collectors

Shamrock
April 20th, 2005, 04:00 PM
I was thinking about people who want pets though they are not realistically able to provide the proper health care for them.
A few cant stop.
This is a very strange and sad phobia, extremely hard to understand.
A type of bizarre compulsion that seems to develop over time, and reality becomes lost. It seems a form of mental illness really.
The stories associated with it are often extremely hard to hear about. I often avoid them, as its all so sad :sad: .

The thing I was wondering about, not sure if this is correct?
Why is it that collectors of pets generally always have cats and not dogs?
Or do they?
We hear about the "crazy cat lady"
Are there no crazy dog ladies?
Or men collectors?

mafiaprincess
April 20th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I know of a dog collector on another forum who caused far too much drama... Couldn't afford needed vet care, has like 9 unfixed animals running around, and is in the market for a show quality dobe...

People make me sick.

bremarie03
April 20th, 2005, 04:07 PM
is a crazy dog collector. I've never met her, but by my friends' account, her mother has had at least 25 dogs at various times since my friends childhood (probably 25 dogs in as many or fewer years). She says her mother will love them to death at first, and basically once the honeymoon is over, she finds an excuse to get rid of them. I'm not aware of financial considerations in this case, just boredom or not wanting to put the work in to train, etc. She's taken several herself and rehomed them, but who knows about the others? Since she (my friend) has been an adult, she's basically forbidden her mother to get any other pets.

Sneaky2006
April 20th, 2005, 04:07 PM
It is very sad to see, animal cops has a few stories about this type of thing. The one I saw just a little while ago was a man with tons of cats. He was obviously sick and needed help, not fines.

I saw one a few months ago that had dogs too, only about a dozen though, whereas cats are normally way more, hundreds even.