Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Huge Bee Problem!

Sneaky2006
April 20th, 2005, 03:11 PM
We have huge bees buzzing around our yard and it's driving me nuts, not to mention the dog and the kids!

I believe they are carpenter bees (although that may not be the real name for them) and they are big... don't sting as far as I know but there is always that risk.

They live in the inner frame of our carport, constantly drilling holes into the beams and leaving wood shavings (piles and piles of shavings!!) and this thick, brown goopy stuff all over the place.

The kids are always swatting them and running from them, and the dog snaps at them... I know they don't normally sting but I think they are capable under those conditions, especially if Yukon succeeds in grabbing one.
We can't seem to get rid of them and it's really bothering me. We got every kind of bee repellent we can find but none of them are for carpenter bees, just yellow jackets and wasps.

Does anyone know of a repellent for this kind of bee or a homeade solution to this problem?

Prin
April 20th, 2005, 03:17 PM
My dad used to be a Bee Keeper, back in the day before kids. What he would do was wait until after dark, open up the wall or whatever the bees were in and grab the nest and put it in a huge glass jar and seal it. The bees are all in at night so it's not as dangerous. I would never do it though. My dad thinks mosquito bites hurt more than bee stings because he's been stung so much... He kills bees with his thumb... I'd call an exterminator before they do anymore damage..

Sneaky2006
April 20th, 2005, 03:24 PM
That's the problem I think... there are no nests, they drill holes into the wood just big enough for them to get inside, I don't even know how far they go in! We've had bee nests before, that we took down and tossed but I think those were yellow jackets so that fixed the prob. I think this is a totally different type of thing.

Do exterminators spray for this kind of thing outside?? I never thought of an exterminator, I think I'm going to call one and see what they say, thanks for the idea! :)
Although it is fun to watch my hubby swingin at them with a broom!

badger
April 20th, 2005, 03:56 PM
I believe they are called mason bees or more charmingly in French 'abeilles solitaires'. Those holes they are making are their nests, where they lay several eggs each season. No doubt what you are seeing are the new hatchlings. They do have stingers, but are much gentler than honey bees, and very useful for pollination. If possible they should simply be ignored. Soon the first frenzy will pass and you will rarely see them. You could plug those holes if you don't want them to nest there. If you have a garden, you could drill a few holes in a block of wood (the holes have to be a specific diameter and depth - look on the internet for instructions) and hang it on a tree or a fence, to draw them away from where your kids and dogs play. They really are very useful insects.

Speaking of insects, we have this phenomenon in Montreal every year, in early May, when a particular little winged creature - May flies? - hatch by the thousands over two or three days. The city just swarms with them, they get in your hair, flutter around your face, and if you're mouth-breathing while cycling up a particularly steep hill, watch out! Then it's over for another year.

Princesss04
April 20th, 2005, 04:28 PM
I know how you feel we have bumble bees. The big nasty bees that will sting! :eek:

Sneaky2006
April 20th, 2005, 04:48 PM
There's not really a way we can ignore them, they're everywhere... of course at night we don't see them, but we are rarely outside at night. And there's nowhere to put a place for their nest in the yard because we use all parts of it and so does the dog.

We have tried plugging the holes previous years but they just make new ones, seems like overnight. And this year seems to be way worse than others.

I called a few pest control places and the ballpark I got was 125$ to treat the wood of the carport... lasting 6months which is plenty of time... we don't see them much after August.

Gazoo
April 20th, 2005, 07:40 PM
I know how you feel we have bumble bees. The big nasty bees that will sting! :eek:

Bumble bees are not nasty!!!!! :rolleyes:

They're our friends. :thumbs up

Safyre
April 20th, 2005, 10:17 PM
To the person who complained about bugs in Montreal for a few days, are you talking about June bugs by chance? Really noisy, loud, sorta look like a beetle?
If not, well, thats what we get around here.
AND we get fish slys.its gross. The walls are covered witht hem, like carpet, for at least 14 days. it's the most digusting thing.
at night, you can hear them crackle under the tires of your car, under all the street lights
As for bees, we had a few that were going into the bricks, or morter in our front parch, we plugged the holes and they didn't come back.

happycats
April 20th, 2005, 10:23 PM

AWWWW I Like them ! little black and yellow furry guy's, I think they are kinda cute :o

twinmommy
April 20th, 2005, 10:42 PM
safyre--they are called shag flies, and they are harmless, but gross because they travel by the bajillion!!!! Once i had to stop for gas (the light was on!! :D ) I had to wipe the nozzle free of them first, then walk across about 20 feet of dead and dying ones to go and pay :eek: :eek: and then get back in my car and try to ignore the ones that managed to get in while I drove away.!!!!

I swear, an Alfred Hitchcock movie!!! :yuck: :eek: :yuck:

Prin
April 20th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Twinmommy- I think they're called "Shad Flies"... Shag is what they do...

wjranch
April 21st, 2005, 12:13 AM
As for bees, we had a few that were going into the bricks, or morter in our front parch, we plugged the holes and they didn't come back.

The holes in the brick of the house are supposed to stay open, by plugging them up you could be trapping moisture inside the brick between the wall. You'd be better off to buy the bee spray that goes on like foam. I've used it before and it gets rid of the bees nicely without leaving a visible residue on the walls.