Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dogs are Weird!

Copper'sMom
April 20th, 2005, 01:14 PM
My dogs are weirdos. When Copper drinks after he has eaten, if food falls in the water dish, he always picks it out. If the food sinks to the bottom of the dish, he'll stick his whole snout underwater to get the food on the bottom! It's quite funny - especially when he blows bubbles!! :crazy:

Now Zoe has started sticking her paws in the water dish! I was using a lettuce bowl as their water dish. Well on the bottom, it has those points that stick up to allow air flow for the lettuce. So i figured she was trying to get those points with her paws. So i changed the dish. Plain, plastic white bowl. Nope! She still would stick her paws in there. I'm not talking once or twice, but she just kept doing this! I got a picture on my camera of her. At one point she had BOTH of her front feet in the water dish!! :crazy: She was just splashing the water!! Up until she knocked the bowl over!! She's kncked it over 3 times now! I have the cleanest kitchen floor around!!!!

Does anyone else's pets do this???

Eleni
April 20th, 2005, 01:18 PM
sam blows bubbles in his water dish.

Actually its a funny story, when we first got him he accidentally did it and my daughter was laughing so hard she was nearly crying[apparently its funny to a 4 year old LOL]
and he found it amusing so now anything with water he tries to blow bubbles. its got the cats quite indignant when he does it with their water.

I guess Hope laughing was what he needed to keep up that behaviour, i dont discourage it either because its cute as all get out.

Prin
April 20th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Tons of doggies do this at our dog park. Some dig the water out and then runaway with the bowl.. Not too convenient on hot days though....

happycats
April 20th, 2005, 01:22 PM
I have one cat who always puts his paw in the water dish before he drinks.
I tried one of those dispensing water dishes (the one with the jug on top) well that same cat (Boowee) loved to hear that "glug glug" sound and would keep hitting it. until eventually all the water was on the floor :rolleyes: (got ridof that dish real quick). but he still sticks his paw in the regular one! :crazy:

Copper'sMom
April 20th, 2005, 01:27 PM
I wasn't sure if this was a Pittie thing or just a weird thing for all dogs! I was starting to wonder :confused: . Our husky hates water! He only drinks it, won't play in it!

Copper has a kiddie pool with penguins on it. When you fill it up, the penguins on the bottom appear larger so he constantly tries to "bob for penguins!!" It's so cute! I throw toys that I know will sink to the bottom just for amusement!!

Eleni, that 4 year old has a great sense of humour!! lol

Copper'sMom
April 20th, 2005, 01:29 PM
happy, you know those door stoppers that are attached to the wall? When you hit them they go "boing" and are quite loud? We had a cat and every once in a while she would go and hit it once or twice and just sit there and stare at it!! It was amusing :D . Then she'd walk away from it and wouldn't touch it for months!!!

Eleni
April 20th, 2005, 01:33 PM
lol At the door thing, we hear that every so often from the bedroom our youngest cat likes to nap in

never actually caught her doing it however

Eleni

happycats
April 20th, 2005, 01:37 PM
LOL, one of my cats "Sega" does that too. (booiiiiinnng in the night)
You know those kids books that have sound effects when you press the buttons on the side? Sega loves to step on those in the middle of the night! :eek: Scares the cr*p out of me ! (waking up in fright to the theme song for the Adams family, or Simba's ROAR, or that most irritating Barney's laugh) :crazy:

Schwinn
April 20th, 2005, 01:40 PM
They aren't wierd, they're pits! I could write a book about all the goofy things Daisy does (when it comes to water, if she's in a lake and the water is past her chest, she keeps trying to shake herself dry, even though she's still in the lake). That's why we love them!

Copper'sMom
April 20th, 2005, 01:44 PM
They aren't wierd, they're pits! I could write a book about all the goofy things Daisy does (when it comes to water, if she's in a lake and the water is past her chest, she keeps trying to shake herself dry, even though she's still in the lake). That's why we love them!

lol, when Copper does silly things, sometimes I think he's about as bright as a burnt out light bulb!!! Someone will say he's dumb, i say he's "a special boy." Just more reasons why we fall head over heels for this breed! :love:

Schwinn
April 20th, 2005, 02:52 PM
I can't figure out if Daisy is really smart, and just does dumb things sometimes, or is really dumb, and does smart things once in a while (puppy idiot-savant?). We've been considering puppy Ritalin...

raingirl
April 20th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Odin is afraid of water. I've been trying to play games in the bathroom with him, but he is still afraid. He drinks his water, and that's it!

As for weird things. Odin like to get on his back, and arch it a little so his the top of his head is flat on the ground, then he jiggles back and forth scratching his back and head, and at the same time his feet are all touching each other. Oh..and he growls when he does this. Quite cute.

Prin
April 20th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Jemma does sort of the same thing. She lies on her side in the snow and paddles around. Always on her left side and snow goes into her left ear and all winter she gets left ear infections...

Boo sometimes gets into a crazy run. All alone. He just starts running and running as fast as he can. He does some little avoidance maneuvers but he's all alone... I think he has an imaginary friend...

Copper'sMom
April 21st, 2005, 09:02 AM
Boo sometimes gets into a crazy run. All alone. He just starts running and running as fast as he can. He does some little avoidance maneuvers but he's all alone... I think he has an imaginary friend...

Zoe has been doing this every night!!! Back and forth, back and forth through the house! Weirdo!

Copper loves to flop and roll on his back and flop like a fish! When he does this he's outside, and I know he's rolling in something he shouldn't be!!!! (rabbit poop or any other little critter poop!!! :evil: )

Copper'sMom
April 21st, 2005, 09:06 AM
Odin is afraid of water. I've been trying to play games in the bathroom with him, but he is still afraid. He drinks his water, and that's it

I decided to put Zoe in the bathtub lastnight, because she wouldn't leave the water dish alone. She played in there for a little bit, jumped out of the tub and went to the kitchen and played in the water dish again!! She doesn't play in it at work :confused: . And I have the same dish at work as at home :confused: :crazy: :crazy: . I can't wait to get the kiddie pool out!

Schwinn
April 21st, 2005, 09:40 AM
[QUOTE=raingirl]Odin is afraid of water. I've been trying to play games in the bathroom with him, but he is still afraid. He drinks his water, and that's it!

[QUOTE]

Daisy used to be afraid of water. She'd let me pick her up and throw her in, and she'd tear out like it was fire. Then we took her to the lake, and when my wife went out and called her, Daisy tried to follow her, whining the whole time. After about 10 mins, she found she liked it, and we couldn't keep her out after that.

raingirl
April 21st, 2005, 10:00 AM
I can't wait to take Odin near to water. Bulldogs don't swim well, so I would keep him on leash, but if he learns to like the beach, then maybe bath time won't be so bad.

Dog Dancer
April 21st, 2005, 02:00 PM
One of my dogs never liked water (she was a Shep X) so we threw her in the river one day and she never looked back. We were worried she may not come back actually - she loved it! We didn't throw her deep where she'd have trouble, just had to get her in though. She kept swimming to the shore line then would turn and go back out. A water baby was born... After that she had a kiddie pool and she would play fetch with her ball out back and run to the ball then on the way back she'd dive into the pool, flop on her belly, then bring back the ball.

kandy
April 21st, 2005, 04:47 PM
Because Newfs LOVE to play in their water and spill it, and dig in it - I have a spill proof water bowl. It's called a Buddy bowl and has a inner liner thing that keeps any of the water from coming out even if it's upside down. As my first newf got older, I had to quit using it because her face wouldn't fit in the hole anymore LOL, but we use one for the pup. I am also planning on putting a kiddie pool in my backyard this summer - maybe I'll get some really funny video or something! As for dogs in general and water - I've had dogs that aren't considered water dogs love the water (huge Rottie) and my first newf hated the lake. She only tried to swim once and then only for a few strokes. She would stand at the shore and not let any of the other dogs come back out of the lake though! I think that Lacey never wanted to swim because she didn't have the energy (although we didn't know at the time that she was sick) so I am hoping the new puppy will take to water - since Newfs are supposed to be water dogs!

katy82
April 23rd, 2005, 11:08 AM
Phil my American Eskimo loves the water! Although she doesn't actually swim. She usually only goes into just about her belly and then runs around the river like a maniac. She also plays with her water bowl alot. She splashs around and eventually tips the whole thing over. Although the other day at the dog park she was playing with some much bigger dogs that her at the dog park and they kept going in the water deeper and deeper and she didn't want to feel left out so she went in until the water was over her back! The look on her fluffy little face was priceless! She looked so scared but she din't want to be left behind. She was so relieved when they went back to shallow water. It was very funny.