Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

advice needed on separating momma cat and kittens

kayla
April 20th, 2005, 11:55 AM
So Momma Cat's kittens are going to their new home this weekend and I was wondering what I should expect in terms of separation anxiety etc? Is Momma Cat likely to be overly upset? Is there anything I should do to make it easier for her and the kittens? Should I start separating them now to get them all used to it?

Also, the kittens mostly eat solid food now, but still nurse once every day or two. Will Momma Cat go through pain if she isn't getting "milked" by the kittens?

Any advice would be great here since I have no idea what to expect!

BeagleMum
April 20th, 2005, 11:58 AM
How old are the kittens?

kayla
April 20th, 2005, 12:01 PM
They will be 8 weeks. I would keep them longer but unfortunately I am leaving Quebec and have no choice but to separate them now :(

BeagleMum
April 20th, 2005, 12:14 PM
8 weeks is normal, I just thought that they shouldn't be nursing any more by the time that they leave.

Lucky Rescue
April 20th, 2005, 12:19 PM
It depends on the cat. Some mother cats seem happy to get rid of their babies, and others will call and search for days.

Some cats will stop their babies from nursing at 8 weeks or so, others will allow them to continue until they are adults!!!

I trapped 3 feral kittens while my feral Momma was still outside. She not only howled and cried outside the window, but actually knocked a screen in trying to get to her babies. She did this for a week or two. :sad:

kayla
April 20th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I trapped 3 feral kittens while my feral Momma was still outside. She not only howled and cried outside the window, but actually knocked a screen in trying to get to her babies. She did this for a week or two. :sad:

Oh that's really sad! I hope Momma Cat doesn't get too upset :sad:

Lucky Rescue
April 20th, 2005, 06:18 PM
For my feral momma, her kittens were all she had in the world. She had no home, no comforts, no one who cared if she lived or died so the kittens meant everything to her.

Just give YOUR momma some extra lovin's, a new toy, some catnip, or some fresh clean grass to nibble on.

She'll be okay.:)

Lizzie
April 20th, 2005, 06:36 PM
For my feral momma, her kittens were all she had in the world. She had no home, no comforts, no one who cared if she lived or died so the kittens meant everything to her.

That is so sad. I hope Momma cat ended up okay...

Lucky Rescue
April 20th, 2005, 07:21 PM
I hope Momma cat ended up okay...

Don't worry! She lives here with me, has her adult kitten, and her foster kitten Stinkerbell. She loves them both.

Other than the fact that she avoids me at all times (except feeding time - LOL!) she is very VERY happy!!:)

Lizzie
April 20th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Well that's great!! I'm glad she's got a wonderful home!

kayla
April 20th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Just give YOUR momma some extra lovin's, a new toy, some catnip, or some fresh clean grass to nibble on.

She'll be okay.:)

Yeah, then in a few days stuff her in a carry case, take her on a giant noisey flying machine, and then end up in a new home across the country. Man I really hate having to put her through this stress! :( Guess it's better than the alternatives..

BMDLuver
April 20th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Yeah, then in a few days stuff her in a carry case, take her on a giant noisey flying machine, and then end up in a new home across the country. Man I really hate having to put her through this stress! :( Guess it's better than the alternatives..
Anyone can see by the photos you have posted that she adores you and your fur family. A little bit of discomfort for a lifetime of love is a very small price to pay. Don't beat yourself up about it, you've given her the best gift of all, a home to call her own with love.

kayla
April 20th, 2005, 08:33 PM
[QUOTE=BMDLuver]A little bit of discomfort for a lifetime of love is a very small price to pay. [QUOTE]

Yeah I guess you're right. I just wish I could explain to her that all this stress is for her own good!

twinmommy
April 20th, 2005, 08:34 PM
You could give her some Rescue Remedy(Loblaws :) )..it'll make things a little easier on her.

kayla
April 20th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Do you know what's in Rescue Remedy? I've got a bunch of essential oils and jars of herbs I picked and dried last summer lying around, maybe I can figure something out with those.. Maybe I should check a natural animal remedy site to see what's good for cats, thanks for the idea!

Lucky Rescue
April 20th, 2005, 08:48 PM
I think if Momma had a choice between sitting on a noisy plane with you for 6 hours then going to a loving home for the rest of her life, and cowering in a terrifying cage at the SPCA and maybe dying there - I know what she would choose!

twinmommy
April 20th, 2005, 08:57 PM
One mistake that people make in dabbling with herbs is underestimating their power. They DO work. I'd be leary of homemade concoctions(sp?) , especially when you can find it so easily already prepared. :thumbs up

That being said, the herbs you dried from last summer may not be that effective any more depending on how you dried them, stored them, etc.

Not a critisism, just trying to help. :)

CyberKitten
April 20th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I agree with you Twinmommy. I don't think all herbs work and worry about people who depend on them too much (like a child I know who died of cancer because her parents waited too long to take her to a doctor - they thought herbs were the only solution, sigh!).

But Rescue Remedy - which is not really made of herbs but flower essences, has not many better alternative - tho cocculine comes close.

Mostly, I stick to traditional medicine for obvious reasons but some stuff works well as an adjunct.

kayla
April 20th, 2005, 09:40 PM
I agree too that people can underestimate the power of herbs twinmommy! I don't rely on them but they definitely can be good sometimes. I think stress is a good time for herbal instead of "western" type medicine. Actually I was thinking more along the lines of using external essential oils. Lavender is supposed to be good at relieving stress, same with neroli. I just put some lavender on my hands and Momma sniffed them and seemed to like it cuz she kept on sniffing :)

Internal herbal remedies is trickier but it can be done. My aunt recently had a cat with some sort of kidney disease (I can't exactly remember) that the vet couldn't fix with medicine. She is a bit of a hippy herbalist type person so tried her own thing and her cat is better now (he was almost dead he was sooo skinny it was great to see!). Some people would say it's just coincidence or something but I've seen her heal people with herbs too. Anyways don't worry I'm not going to experiment and give Momma a bunch of herbs, maybe just a little lavender and catnip (externally):p

twinmommy
April 20th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Sounds good, and kudos to you btw, for being this Momma's little guardian angel :thumbs up :angel:

She's alive because of you!! :)