Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Addicted to bum sniffing

LittleLoves
April 20th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Ugh.

Lady is addicted to bum sniffing. Why? Can anyone answer this?

We went to the dog park the other night and she was a blessed angel. There were about 9 dogs there and all was well until this guy came in with a pit X. All the dogs went crazy sniffing the Pit X's bum! I figured judging by the fact that she allowed them to get closer by lifting her leg that she is not spayed. Lady was so intrigued....the Pit X peed on her face. :yuck:

Lady took a liking to her bum, and then when she left, she starting sniffing every dog's bum! I couldn't even distract her. She didn't play, or chase with the other dogs, just sniffed their rears. :o I ended up having to leave.

Why does she do this? Anyone else have this problem?

Lucky Rescue
April 20th, 2005, 09:09 AM
I'm sure there are people stupid enough to bring a dog in heat to a dog park.

Your dog may have had some of the scent clinging to her nose, since this dog peed on her face, and thought it was coming from the other dogs. Who knows?

Rainy
April 20th, 2005, 09:47 AM
When my sister lived with me her female dog always lifted her leg when my boys started a sniff fest.They were all fixed.I consider that behaviour to be a doggy greeting. :p

MIA
April 20th, 2005, 12:24 PM
My understanding is a good bum sniff is the same as a human handshake! At least it's dog bums, not human bums! LOL

kandy
April 20th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I always noticed that my corgi X lifted her leg whenever other dogs started to sniff her - and she was spayed. I always thought it was a submissive thing on her part but maybe it is just "Hello!" :p

Prin
April 20th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Also when a dog in heat comes into the park, it tends to alter everyones physiology. My big Boo humps everyone when there is a dog in heat in the park- normally, he is VERY independent at the park. The whole mood of a park changes. I think if you go back another day, she shouldn't continue this behavior.

Princesss04
April 20th, 2005, 01:07 PM
I crack up everytime I see this titile "Addidicted to bum" LOL! Sorry just ahd to throw that in! :D

Daisy's Owner
April 20th, 2005, 01:43 PM
I always thought bum sniffing was normal puppy behaviour. Like someone else said, "Hello"

LittleLoves
April 20th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Thanks everyone!

I always thought it was normal too, but after this one dog entered the park, I couldn't remove her nose from everyone's rear! She was obsessed. LOL

Prin, the whole mood definitely changed. All the dogs had been having fun and jumping on each other until the "Pee Dog" came in. There was one small dog fight over who could sniff her immediately after she entered. Very sad that the owner brought her out like that. :rolleyes: