Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rat Poison

Dukieboy
April 20th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Can you purchase pink rat poison? My crazy neighbour throws things over my fence. She hates my dogs. This morning I found pink pressed stickish looking things thrown over.???

Cinnabear
April 20th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I don't know, but I'd be flinging it back in her yard. What a neighbor you have. :mad:

happycats
April 20th, 2005, 08:37 AM
I would contact the police (non emergency #) let them have a look at it, and if it is poison, maybe have her charged, I think this is a very serious matter, not only can it kill your pets (if it is poison) but could kill a child as well!!

sammiec
April 20th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I am with Happycats. Though, you may need to have proof that it is indeed your neighbour that's throwing things over the fence. I wouldn't let them get away with that! I would notify someone! :mad:

BMDLuver
April 20th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Yes, rat poison can be purchased. The stuff I remember seeing is pink, sticky and the idea is that you put it in a plate, the rat likes the scent and basically suffocates while it's nose is stuck to the plate.

When I lived in Sackville, NB, our landlord put some out as the marshes flooded into the town and drove the rats up to higher ground. We found a rat stuck to a plate with all four paws but had not had his nose stuck. My roommate put on his goalie gloves for hockey and held the rat while I carefully cut the pie plate as close to his little paws as possible. The rat ended up walking around a little odd but was alive and well none the less. We couldn't find a vet who would agree to help so did the best we could. :o

lezzpezz
April 20th, 2005, 08:59 AM
I have issues with my neighbour and have found that by installing video cameras, much of his whackadoo behaviour has stopped. If you install a video camera, you may be able to catch her in the act of tossing stuff over. Worth a shot.

Dukieboy
April 20th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Unless I catch her in the act there is no point reporting to police?

Princesss04
April 20th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Duckieboy, I am not sure what to say. I am sorry you have to live by mean people. How can anyone not love your babies. Maybe go over and tell her that you are reporting this to the police and ask her to keep her eye open for whoever may be doing this. Maybe that would get her thinking and maybe stop her. Tell her you will be watching as well so with her help maybe you can catch this personl. Go about it this way, I would also tell her that you are putting cameras up where they will not be able to see them but you will have the whole and yard and stuff on tape. Maybe she would stop. I am not sure what else to do. You are right if you do not have proof the police will not be able to do anything. That is why I thought maybe you can scare her. :D ;)

Safyre
April 20th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Report it to the police, that she is throwing an unknown substance over your fence.
In post 9-11 world, unknown substances are dangerous, and they should at the very least come out to research the substance.
If they determine it i poision, you would then have to catch her in the act of throwing it over your fence to get her charged.
The dog I had as a child was poisioned by the means we're speaking of here, rat poision over the fence. We knew it was kids from the highschool behind the house, but we couldn't prove who it was, so nothing could be done.

SnowDancer
April 20th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Suggest you carry your dog off your property when walking. This is what I have been forced to do. I have spoken to the police, but until "something actually happens" - and it is diffcult to prove. The way to get to you is through small children and pets so you have to be smarter than the neighbours - sure not hard in my case - just an awful way to live.

Copper'sMom
April 20th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I agree with Happycats also. I'd be calling anyone who has authority to deal with this matter. Make sure to keep a journal of any incidents that happen with your neighbour. Date, time and what happened. I have thought about having food tested for poison that my dog finds in my mom's backyard. I know of one neighbour that doesn't like Copper :mad: .

I called the police once to report neighbour kids teasing my dog through the fence. If anything were to happen, I want them to know that i have called before and that MY dog was being harassed therefore provoking him. I have found roast beef bones in the yard (at my mom's) with the string still on it, cooked. I took it away from Copper just because you never know! I have a suspicion(sp?) that stray cats dragged it out of someone's garbage and into the yard. But ya never know.

If i were you, I wouldn't take this lightly! No one messes with my babies!! People should be more afraid of me than my dogs!

mafiaprincess
April 20th, 2005, 11:47 AM
The mouse poison my dad bought (to deal with their basement deer mouse problem) was pink cubes..

It has a tendancy to melt a little when wet, I'd be afraid if it rained that it might be in your grass and still harm your dog. Especially if there were others, or smaller pieces you didn't find.

SarahLynn123
April 20th, 2005, 12:22 PM
You can contact the police so they will have it on file. It will add to the proof when you catch them in the act, and if it is poison Im sure someone will come out and see for sure.

Hope you catch them and teach them a lesson!

kandy
April 20th, 2005, 01:06 PM
I agree that you should go ahead and report it - and the cameras are a good idea - they sell really cheap fake ones that look very real. That way you can make her think she is being filmed when she's really not. If your dogs do get poisoned (heaven forbid), then you've got the report already there. Even though they won't charge her with anything if you don't catch her - you can report the suspicion. I'd want to make sure she knows that I was watching her - and that I was highly suspicious that it was her. Most people would not take the risk of getting caught if they think that they are being watched.

I had a child in my neighborhood that was caught by a neighbor beating my dog with a plastic bowling pin. I called the Police, who said it was an animal control matter :confused: , and when I told Animal control that although my dog wasn't mean, I could put a dog back there that would make the kid wish he'd never stepped foot in my yard. They told me that even if a kid was teasing my dog and got bit, it would still be my responsibility and the dog would have to be destroyed. I lived across the street from an elementary school, so everyday I would go home about the time they would be getting out of school and watched out the window. I noticed that she wagged her tail and barked at most kids, but then one kid walked through and she immediately started barking in earnest and when the kid turned around and stomped at her, she hit the ground yelping. I knew I had my abuser. I ran to the back door and started following him so that I could tell police who he was. He kept asking me why I was following and I told him that I knew he'd been beating my dog and I needed to find out where he lived so I could turn him in to the police. I followed him to his house - never closer than about 15-20 feet and wrote down the address. Come to find out this kid had killed several small animals in the past (and he was only about 9 years old) and had serious mental problems. I dropped the charges in exchange for the mother being court ordered to get the boy counseling and we moved from that neighborhood not too long after that. Since then, we've always had a fenced backyard and my dogs are not chained - so they can get away from the fence if they have to.

Contemplations
April 20th, 2005, 03:20 PM
You should most definately report this to the police. I'm not sure if it's rat poison or not but there are so~ many things poisonous to a dog (like tomato leaves and stems) that it probably is. Maybe your neighbor has a tendency to abuse animals. (Like the horrible thing that Kandy's neighbor said!~!)

CyberKitten
April 20th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Absolutely report this to the police! ASAP! Anyone who does this could be dangerous not just to you and tyour family (inlc pets here) but to others as well.

BEAR_NZ
April 24th, 2005, 03:02 AM
By calling in the police and getting the substance tested you will get a pretty immediate and factual response to your situation. This is a serious issue and if the pink substance is found to be poisonous, your crazy neighbour will be in some serious trouble.I would not bother with the fake cameras etc... you need facts in order to stop this.

chico2
April 24th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Dukieboy,no question in my mind,report it!!
This weekend you might have heard about the poisoning of 3 cats and a dog,somewhere in Toronto,someone put out what is believed poison and all 4 animals died :sad:
Rat/mouse poison is often pinkish,comes in solid form but dissolves in rain....be very,very careful..

Karin
April 24th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Report this right away, this way you are leaving a record. If your neighbors intend harm, they will be the first ones looked at if something should happen...and they will wish no one else tries anything either.

In the US, all red dyes from any rat poison was removed 20 years ago. All are green now. The red dye proved to cause cancer in laboratory rats....go figure....

(same red dye has been removed from many other products also)

babyrocky1
April 24th, 2005, 07:38 PM
This is awful Dukie Boy, you have probably reported it by now, so please let us know what happened! It must be so stressfull living next to someone you believe capable of that!!!

Dukieboy
April 25th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Hi guys. Thanks to all that posted. Here is the follow up. I called the police and went home early on Wednesday so they could come out and investigate. They did come out but would not take the substance said they don't have the resources and advised that I install a video camera. They said all they could do is talk to her and tell her to stop throwing ***** over the fence. Surprise, surprise, she wouldn't open the door. They referred me to a conflict resolution service to deal with my neighbour. It was pink and did disolve quite quickly when it was wet but, my dog sitter took it over to the Humane and they said it wasn't poison but some kind of gerbil food??? Told us to "keep an eye on it".
I went over and spoke to the neighbour because I have really had enough. It could have only come from her because it was up close to the house on the side I share with her. You couldn't fling the stuff from the other side of the yard or the lane behind and have it land the way it did. She swore up and down that "she wasn't like that" and that she may be a bitch but she wouldn't try to poison my dog. I am emotionally drained and had to take thurs and friday off work. I am back today and I am hopeful nothing else will go wrong. Thanks again everyone.