Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Leptospirosis

denkeeper
April 19th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Hi; I am sorry to say I have a 5 week old puppy with Leptospirosis. He has been on medication for three days and seems to be recovering very well. My concern now is for the other pups in the litter. I segragated the sick pup as soon as he was diagnosed and none of the other pups are showing any signs of the disease. I am going to be placing puppies with families this weekend but I am concerned that this disease may not show itself until the pups are gone. Does anyone know the chances of this happening. I don't want to upset my families by telling them about the sick pup but I also want to keep them informed. If anyone has had an experience with this disease and has a suggestion on how to handle this situation I sure would appreciate the help. Thanks!

Lucky Rescue
April 20th, 2005, 12:35 AM
I don't want to upset my families by telling them about the sick pup but I also want to keep them informed.

Upset them? This would be concealing very important information that they have a right to know. If you give them a puppy who infects their own pets, or infects the owners themselves,(which IS possible, especially if there are small kids in the house) they will be more than upset and will sue you, quite rightfully.

Considering how this illness is spread, it's quite likely the others may get it.

How are you keeping these puppies that one contracted this illness?

Are you saying you are adopting out 6 week old puppies???

Prin
April 20th, 2005, 02:23 AM
It's really bad timing because weeks 6-8 are very important in socialization and if this pup has to be alone, he's not going to be very social with dogs for the rest of his life...

I do hope you tell them. It's not a genetic thing, so it shouldn't freak them out too much. If it does, maybe you need more caring parents for these pups.

I hope you keep the litter together till at least 8 weeks- they will be much better socialized at that point.

Good luck.

coppperbelle
April 20th, 2005, 07:13 AM
How did this pup contract Lepto? I would agree that the new owners should be informed and if possible wait another two weeks before you send them off to their new homes.

mona_b
April 20th, 2005, 10:53 AM
I have to agree with the others.Tell the new owners about it.This is something you need to do.Or yes,you will be sued.

As for them going to their new homes this weekend,6 weeks is to young for them to be going.8 weeks is a much better age...What breed are they?..If they are a toy breed,then 12 weeks is the age for them.

I found this link about it.Thought I would share it.Since I had no clue as to what it was.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/leptospirosis_g_pet.htm#whatis

SnowDancer
April 20th, 2005, 11:17 AM
You absolutely have to tell the new parents. Also, you are sending them to their new homes at too young an age. You will definitely be sued if you sell a sick animal and the sickness spreads - and worse if a pet dies and or lives but with severe organ damage. The most upsetting thing is that to true animal lovers the moment they take the pup it is a member of their family - you don't abandon a family member because he/she is sick - going back for a refund is not an option for many people. What is your vet's view on this? I know what my vet would say. I know that if I were one of your buyer's - even without being told of the possibility of the virus I would find out asap because I always make an immediate appointment with my vet of 25 years for a physical after I take in a new pup - just in case. And the just in case has in fact been warranted.

Beetlecat
April 20th, 2005, 01:54 PM
I don't know anything about Leptospirosis so I just did a quiick internet search. Looks like it is communicable to humans through animals and the incubation period is 2 to 4 weeks.

I would not adopt these pups out until this time (4 weeks) is up and you know they are not (likely) infected. Then I would tell the new owners that infection is still a possibility, and then explain all the steps neccesary to care for the dog and for themselves if they see any of the warning signs, which you will also explain to them.

And I would not adopt out the sick puppy until it is healthy again.

Lise
April 20th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Everyone is right you have to tell the family ,lepto is zoonotic.How did such a young puppy get it,if dam was vacc he should have had maternal immunity?It is usually transmitted through rodents and if you're out in the country any dog should be vaccinated.

BEAR_NZ
April 24th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Leptospirosis is a very contagious disease, and it can be fatal, not only to animals but to human beings who can contract it mainly by being in contact with the urine of the animal that has Lepto. About 10 years ago my mother contracted Lepto and she very nearly died from it...she was in critical care for 3 weeks and in hospital for another couple of weeks after, and now, to this day, still suffers some of the health repercussions. Absolutely do not sell the puppies. You must keep them, and wait for at least another month until they are all showing signs of extremely good health (and get them tested to see if they are carriers of Lepto), and until the puppy infected with Lepto now has made a full recovery. Not only would you put the animals at risk by adopting them out at this young age, but you would also put each and every individual human being who comes into contact with the puppy at serious risk too, of this awful disease. Even animals who are not ill with the disease can still be carriers....