Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone bought from EBAY?

Prin
April 19th, 2005, 08:54 PM
I'm so skeptical about these things... There is heartguard on there for under $40 (it's 67 at our vet), and I was wondering if I should get it-- It's from australia and I don't know if the shipping will affect the pills or if the pills are any good at all. If I can save over $40 this summer for my two babies, I would love it.. But I am so not sure....

Lizzie
April 19th, 2005, 08:56 PM
I've bought something before. The key is to check their ratings. If they have sold a lot and have good ratings then you're good to go. I wouldn't buy from someone without seeing good ratings.

Ask questions too---is it NEW, IN BOX, UNUSED, stuff like that. Be specific, and they will be too.

As for buying medication---I would avoid taking that risk. You'd have to know if the stuff is out of date, if it was stored at the correct temperature and would continue to be that way during shipping.

I'd stick to buying material things that neither we nor our pets ingest.

Sneaky2006
April 19th, 2005, 09:02 PM
We buy lots of stuff from ebay, but something like pills or anything else edible is a bit iffy for us.

I actually saw that on ebay, hubby did and showed me... and I have to wonder, why does that person have so much heartguard?? :rolleyes:

Prin
April 19th, 2005, 09:09 PM
The guy with frontline has even more. He's got like 3 pages of it... A bit scary.

They do have a great car seat cover though... It hooks onto the headrests of the front seat... If only I was rich...

Lizzie
April 19th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Ah well--a cheap sheet from Wal Mart, some thread and a needle will get you a pretty decent seat cover if you want!

Ebay does have some great stuff on it, if you're looking for something. But it is a tempting place if you are just window shopping.

CyberKitten
April 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I have bought a few items on eBay and never had a problem. My secretary showed me the way, lol (She sells items on the site). You DO have to check the ratings of the seller to see how reliable they are. Most are I think but like everything else, there probably are exceptions. I only bought small things - a rare book, a movie - DVD - that was also hard to find elsewhere, and another book I wanted. I am hardly a big time buyer - but then the bookophile in me discovered I could download books for free in the same way some were dling movies and songs and I was smitten with that software. No need for eBay, lol

I am a convert to MS Reader and my PDA. I can read under the covers - who needa a flashlight with a PDA, lol

JDG
April 19th, 2005, 09:24 PM
I use Ebay to 'find' things I am looking for, quite often it is cheaper to just go down to your local shop and buy it. But, I've bought and sold lots of stuff on ebay.

People will buy anything!! My husband and I sold our really ugly couch that was given to us for 300 (almost $700) by using snappy words like 'RETRO CHIC'

haha

greaterdane
April 19th, 2005, 10:20 PM
i have bought pet meds from a website but not ebay. petmeds.com i believe it was. It is so much cheaper then the vet, but we had it shipped to our US postal box, I think they do ship to canada though.

Safyre
April 19th, 2005, 11:01 PM
I have bought from Ebay multiple times, i did have a problem with one person, they never sent my items even though they got the Money order, so I gad to file a complaint. as soon as the complaint was filed, he got my money back to me. that was 1 out of about 10 times i have purchased from ebay.

twodogsandacat
April 19th, 2005, 11:09 PM
There are a lot of 'fake' medications out there as well as stock that should of been destroyed. Stick to the vet or something like petmeds.com if you buy on line.

As for buying from EBay it is generally safe - if you aren't buying meds.

Prin
April 20th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Got it. Thanks everybody. I'm naive in the ways of computer shopping (well not so much naive as very very pessimistic and untrusting.-- The first time I ordered anything from Victoria's Secret, I almost threw up. :eek: Very scary.)

I did manage to find the door peep hole I have been looking for for weeks now. You know the ones where the image of outside is projected onto a screen? We saw on in a house we were looking at and I loved it...

BMDLuver
April 20th, 2005, 07:45 AM
You can buy different products direct from the Australian Distributor. We have purchased many times as it saves a lot of money for rescue. Here's the link. http://www.vetproductsdirect.com/

SnowDancer
April 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't risk it. I don't buy from E-Bay, but certainly would not buy pet meds. Even many of the items listed from the one skin care line that I use have been discontinued for years, so not worth the risk. Or people have bought them at warehouse sales, with 6 months' life left - 2 years ago.

Schwinn
April 20th, 2005, 12:04 PM
You want to look at how much they are charging for shipping and handling. I've bought and sold on E-Bay (Terry Fox loonies are selling for $2 US). Most people make thier money through shipping. Also, look at how it is shipped. I also by bike equipment from US on-line retailers. I won't buy anything across the border, unless it is by regular post. I ordered a part that was $13 US and shipped by UPS, and it wound up costing me $70 Canadian, partly due to brokerage fees. Regular Canada post charges fees as well, but they are usually a fraction of the cost. I ordered another part that was sent through regular mail, and it cost me about $350 Canadian once I got it, and in Canada it was about $725 before taxes.

twinmommy
April 20th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't buy meds of any kind on Ebay, but that's just me. I can tell you that I buy little things here and there and I just have it shipped to my mom's (US address!!) and that saves a lot on shipping because we are often "international" which means it must go airmail--hence the expense.

I was recently the victim of fraud as well, on Ebay, as the seller up and left--never to be found. Which means--you guessed it-- that she's probably still there under another user name, etc. But VISA was totally cool with the whole thing. They have a "no hassle on line buying" policy. Any problems are refunded IN TOTAL--NO HASSLES. They continue the investigation but you get your money back right away.

I find that very smart on their behalf, because next time I buy on ebay--which card do you think I'm using?? :thumbs up

lezzpezz
April 20th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Would the product pass thru customs when it arrived? Do you need a prescription from your vet first, to purchase it? I would be leary about ordering something you wouldn't be able to get. I think that your dog needs to have a heartworm test done first, before any medication of that nature can be sold to you, as well.

Daizy
April 20th, 2005, 01:13 PM
http://www.petdrugs.ca/

I haven't used this service, but you could always try this link & then let us all know if its any good ;)

Prin
April 20th, 2005, 02:59 PM
You can buy different products direct from the Australian Distributor. We have purchased many times as it saves a lot of money for rescue. Here's the link. http://www.vetproductsdirect.com/
I just used it, thanks!! It'll save me at least $60 dollars this summer. yey! (I just hope they don't come expired.. :eek: )

jiorji
April 20th, 2005, 09:22 PM
i wouldn't buy any pills off ebay. NO NO Prin you never know what your dog's gonna swallow. Some ppl could be making fake drugs(pills) and who knows what goes it them?

plus i do believe ebay prohibits the sale of pills or food or livestock. So i would most likely report that seller. It's not safe.

and another thing...if they';re pills and seller labels them as pills they might get stopped at customs. So you might lose them, which might be better off.

A suggestion is to search online for actual petstores in the US that sell cheaper. I noticed a lot of pet stuff in online pet stores sell stuff way cheaper, and they might clear customs for you.
so i think that's more legit. :)

CyberKitten
April 20th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I just thought this was a discussion on eBay. I have difficulty with people buying meds online, never mind eBay!!! Now that pet site sounds ok tho I have not looked at it but how does one verify whether the medication meets the standard of Health Canada? Many of the medications sold online do not contain the medication they claim to and some are even damgerous. Vet sites might be different but I would check them out first.

I did not even know meds were sold on eBay! Gawd!!

jiorji
April 20th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I did not even know meds were sold on eBay! Gawd!!

they're not allowed to! that is why that seller should be reported to ebay. I'm sure they'd shut him off.

twinmommy
April 20th, 2005, 10:27 PM
It's unreal CK, all the crap on ebay!!

the dumbest I ever saw was someone renting space.....ON HIS OWN FOREHEAD!!! ugh!!

Prin
April 20th, 2005, 11:48 PM
He got $37000 for putting an ad on there for a month... I think it's a good idea...

But really, though, I should worry about that aussie site not having the same heartguard as us? I'll check to see if it's the same when I get it but there are different heartguard formulas and I would assume that each one is the same wherever...

BMDLuver
April 21st, 2005, 07:49 AM
We purchased Sentinel Spectrum from them and it was the exact same product as we would have purchased here at the vet's. We don't buy from anyone on ebay, we go direct to the Australian site.

Schwinn
April 21st, 2005, 11:27 AM
It's unreal CK, all the crap on ebay!!

the dumbest I ever saw was someone renting space.....ON HIS OWN FOREHEAD!!! ugh!!

How about the woman selling her used panties for $25 a piece? I was going to go to WalMart and buy a bunch of cheap ones, then have Daisy wear them for a day or two just to give them "authenticity". Needless to say, my wife refuses to have any part of this, or let Daisy either.

twinmommy
April 21st, 2005, 11:34 AM
ha ha :D .....just saw a student on there not too long ago selling dryer lint claiming to use the profits for school!!!

Sounds like he's too smart for school if you ask me!!!! :rolleyes:

happycats
April 21st, 2005, 11:48 AM
My hubby has bought and sold on ebay many times, and never had a problem.

Have you ever looked under the "WEIRD STUFF" catagory ?? Very strange indeed !! Some of it will leave you speechless! :confused:

raingirl
April 21st, 2005, 12:18 PM
The only thing I ever bought on Ebay was a Snoopy Snow Cone machine. I bought it because I always wanted one when I was a kid. I used it once, now it's in a box. maybe I'll used it again this summer. It's quite fun.

CyberKitten
April 21st, 2005, 12:26 PM
HaHa raingirl. I still have my EZBake oven (circa 1967 or so) in the attic. Maybe I can sell it on eBay, lol

Writing4Fun
April 21st, 2005, 12:35 PM
CK, I'm pretty sure you'd get something for that EZBake Oven!

We're huge Ebay junkies. But we only ever buy stuff we need and know that we're getting a good deal on. Hubby has bought parts for his bikes and paintball supplies, I've bought equipment, machinery and supplies for the business. We've never bought food or meds. We've sold quite a bit on Ebay as well, and made some decent cash at it! We tried a garage sale one year, made something like $40 total. We've sold way more on Ebay. But, you have to know what stuff is worth and what you're willing to settle for when selling just as much as when you're buying. Some people are nuts - like asking $3000USD for a machine with missing parts when a comparable, mint condition machine can be bought for $2500. :confused:

raingirl
April 21st, 2005, 05:35 PM
I have an ezbake oven as well, but it's the new ones not the old ones. I told my BF I always wanted one as a kid and he got me one for christmas 2 years ago!

Prin
April 22nd, 2005, 12:27 AM
Raingirl, that's really sweet. grumble grumble my man doesn't do that grumble..

BMD-- I ordered the heartguard and they sent me an email saying "if you're from the states, you need a prescription". I emailed to make sure it didn't apply to me, and they sent a really nice email. So polite and personal. I love good service. I'll have them by early next week. Thanks again. You've saved a chunk of my student budget!! :thumbs up

kandy
April 22nd, 2005, 05:54 PM
I've bought all sorts of things from ebay - but I have to say that I would not buy any medication from there. It's probably from some vet that closed down 5 years ago or something. I have bought my flea/tick meds from the Doctor's Foster & Smith website though. I have only ever had one problem with an ebay seller - I collect Vivi Crandall prints (wildlife artist - check her out at www.vivicrandall.com) and a guy advertised that he had 30 prints he wanted to sell for a total of $8000 US. The prints he listed were worth over $30,000 so I sent an email asking him why he was selling so cheap. I won the auction, but after I had sent him the money, he sent me an email to tell me that he was 'mistaken' on a couple of the prints he had. It turned out that he really didn't know what he had! He offered to cancel the sale, which I took him up on, but it took me 3 weeks to get my money back from him! However, my mom bought a 1967 Thunderbird - the ones with the portholes in the side - for $18,000 and she loves it!