Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where to report animal abuse?

Daizy
April 19th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Does anyone know who I would report animal abuse to ... here is the story ...I had taken my 7 month old pup twice for grooming at this particular place and twice for a nail clip. I have always had to drag her in after her first visit and couldn’t figure out why and she alway seemed traumatized after too. Also, ever since her first visit there, I cannot even clip her nails myself as she struggles and fights to get away. I took her in for her last nail clip on Saturday and even with me watching, the owner, shouted at her and held her in the air by the throat (she’s only a small dog, weighing 7lb’s) with no support whatsoever and shouted at her (even with support at her bottom, which there wasn’t, surely no one should do this!) She was obviously having a very difficult time cutting her nails (but if I was being handled & shouted at the way my dog was I think I would be doing everything in my power to get away too!) ~ every time I said leave it I’ll take her to the vets to get it done (as they are always treat my dog well) she carried on mishandling my dog, ignoring me. So basically I want to report her for hanging my dog by the throat in the air ~ Please do any of you have any idea's or know whom I could report this too?

chico2
April 19th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Daisy,I am sorry,but I would have slapped that woman for misshandling my dog and left to complaint to the manager.The groomer is supposed to be a proffesional,but this one obviously was not.
If this person is the owner and not an employee,I would spread the word,through family and friends and she would soon be out of business(I hope!)
I would also take this traumatized dog to the vet for nail-klipping,if she is comfortable there,my vet klips one of my cats nails and she charges only $10.
I don't know if Humane Society would get involved in a case like this,I belive they have their hands full already.

Shamrock
April 19th, 2005, 03:53 PM
How terrible! Does she own this shop? If that is a sample of how she treats her clients pets when the ARE there...omg.

The Better Busness Bureau could take a complaint
The SPCA could also, though if there was no injury suffered, might be hard to proceed. But they could give you suggestions as to what you can do.
As this IS a business, and this is where it occured -you might start by calling your local city hall to direct you in the right path.

I personally would also let her know that I planned to follow up on this.
Its really disturbing - that she would treat an animal in such a way. :sad:

Good luck!

Daizy
April 19th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Thanks Chico, I was really too shocked really and even the lady who was over by the sink just turned around and stared (probably too scared of her boss to do anything). She has a bolted door with lattice work so that one can see but can't get in AND she was the owner too. I've already started telling family and friends so that they know, thanks for the suggestion. I wonder that the humane society would deal with this, I know in the UK there is the RSPCA, so I kind of wondered if there was some organisation like that in Canada. If anyone lives in the Beaches, Toronto, if you PM I will tell you which groomers it is.

Daizy
April 19th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks Shamrock, good idea's, I shall follow up on them. I don't think Daisy is damaged - I know I was traumatized by it and had to go and buy some wine! I have found a new groomer whom I was recommended to and explained the situation as now Daisy is so traumatized by grooming that they are going have problems but they said they would do it gently and if necessary stop if she was too upset. Fortunately, I'm sure this groomer is just the bad apple in the barrel.

CyberKitten
April 19th, 2005, 04:36 PM
I would report it to the SPCA tho as was mentioned, they have so many cases to investigate and they may not give it the attention it deserves! I would report her to the BBB, a groomers' association - if any exists in your area (Do they need a licence or can anyone hang out a shingle and call themselves a groomer?). I'd tell as many people as possible -vets, other people who take pets to this person, local business associations. I am with Chico. No-one would get away hitting my pet like that!! I may not have hit her but I would have grabbed my pet and ran and told her off. And threatened to sue her.

Safyre
April 19th, 2005, 09:34 PM
REPORT TO THE OSPCA
I have NEVER had a situation with them where they DIDN'T take care of my complaint.
There are some people on this website that have had bad experiences with theSPCA(Quebec) or OSPCA (Ontario) but, they are who you make complaints to for animal abuse. Who else would you go to? they are you're only line of defense in situations like this.
You can ofcourse, spread the word about this groomer, and make a complaint to her manager.
The BBB suggestion, unfortunately, BBB is a paid service, so even companies with complaints keep thier BBB status, most people will see that they are BBB approved and not think twice to look into the background.

Daizy
April 20th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Thank you all for your excellent advice ~ I have just send the details to the OSPCA ~ so I guess she will be getting a little visit from them. The least thing that can happen is she will be shocked into behaving better with the animals, with her now knowing that she isn't a law unto herself. Thanks again.

sammiec
April 20th, 2005, 08:55 AM
I am glad to hear that you're taking action in this sickening case. The OSPCA would be your best option to make sure that this is taken care of. I would call them and let them know that you're sending your information, and call them regularly to find out what actions have been taken against this lady! :mad:
You handled this situation very calmly!
I probably would have grabbed her by the throat and demanded that she released my dog and left, but not without calling her a thousand curse words first. Then I probably would have called the SPCA or police while I stood outside the place telling other people not to take their animals inside!!! :mad: :mad:

LittleLoves
April 20th, 2005, 08:57 AM
I really hope she changes, that would be awful to witness! :sad:

Daizy
April 20th, 2005, 09:04 AM
You know, in hindsite, I wish I had a camera phone - I dont' - And I almost updated recently too, it would have been perfect to actually take a picture of her in the act! At least it is reported now and the OSPCA's website say they investigate all reports. They have quite a few officers available and they have the power of a police office. Rather nice to know that this service is available. Thank you all for your support.

Princesss04
April 20th, 2005, 09:30 AM
That is awful I hope this lady is put out of business. :mad: You did handle this very well. I am also glad that you are doing something about it. So many people see and hear things they do not agree with and still they do nothing about it. Than the problem never gets fixed and so often gets worse.

Daizy
April 21st, 2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks Princess, but you know, she's messing with the wrong person, unfortunately for her - I am told anyway ... I come across as young and mild - she probably thought she could get away with it, and the reality is, I'm not that young and I am usually mild, but in this circumstance she messed with my dog! :evil:

Shaykeija
April 21st, 2005, 06:25 PM
Personally speaking... If anyone ever touched Missie or Sophie like that, I would probably be facing assault charges and property damage charges as well. I know I would have went right through her lattice wall after the @itch. I am so glad my grromer is a doll.