Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Louisiana Catahoula

AMD
April 19th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Hi!

I am interested in a Louisiana Catahoula,and want some more information. I am hoping that they will be a good match for me, so I will give you some background info:

The dog will live on a farm in Alberta with plenty of room to run. THe farm has cattle, so it will most likely be trained as a cattle dog.
There are no small children in the family, in fact the three kids are moved away, attending University.
There are however 3 BichonXShih tzus in the family.
We understand they have short hair and will need to be inside. Thats okay.
We have owned Border Collies Previously, so understand the needs of a high energy dog.
Recently one of the Shih-tzus was attacked by a coyote, she is still alive, but after emergency surgery isnt out of the woods yet. We have decided that it is time for a dog that will protect our property as well as maybe the little dogs.

Please let me know if you think the Catahouls is a good dog for us!

Thanks

Lucky Rescue
April 19th, 2005, 04:23 PM
The Catahoula Leopard dog is a very serious guarding, hunting and all purpose ranch/farm dog who will vigorously protect his territory and members of the family.

A farm in AB sounds like a good place for one, as these dogs need strenuous exercise and the opportunity to work.

Make sure you socialize your dog a lot, and make him a member of the family. They can be very wary towards strangers, so socializing is very important. Training is also very important for these intelligent dogs, as they will decide what is a threat and what is not.

You will not need to worry about coyotes or other predators with this dog around, although they cannot stay outside in Canadian winters.

Be aware that dogs with too much white in their coats can be deaf.

dmc123
April 19th, 2005, 05:21 PM
We recently found out that Delaney is part Catahoula Leopard Dog, and prior to that I had never heard of the breed. I found all sorts of websites about them.

I am attaching a picture of Laney, and a link to my page comparing her to other Catahoula Leopards. I was so glad to know one part of what she was mixed with, we always thought Aussie due to her splotchy coat.

Here's the link, sorry the page was made for family and folks that knows her, so disregard the "don't cheat and peek at the picture names" part.

http://dcstuff.myhandylinks.com/Catahoula/index.html

Good luck on making your choice...

Diane

Karin
April 19th, 2005, 06:10 PM
I love these cajun canines! We have many Catahoula's here in the south, I have never met a bad one.

All that I know are great with kid's and other pets too. Great with other animals and loves the farm life.

Big goobers...and they can get large.

*Warning. Catahoula's tend to never grow up, once a puppy, alway's a puppy.

dmc123
April 19th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Karin, the puppy part is true, Laney is now 6 and in some ways very much a puppy!

Diane

Karin
April 19th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Delaney is Catahoula X something fuzzy, mostly cajun.

A nickname for the cajun leopard dogs here is "muddy waters". They look like someone splashed them. Hound ears are a dead give away. Juvenile dogliguents...all of them!

Have I said before how much I love this breed?

bremarie03
April 19th, 2005, 10:52 PM
my aunt had one (since passed). Beau was the sweetest dog I ever saw, and the bond between them was incredible. He loved and protected her. He would have given his life for her.

domesticzookeep
May 14th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I'm currently fostering a young, deaf catahoula. While she's the only one I've ever met, she has been with me for almost 8 months - so I can give you a good description of her personality....

She has bonded very closely with me, and is always close by (not sure if the deafness is part of that). She is incredibly affectionate with family & friends, but can be weary of strangers & children (or anything with unpredictable behaviour).

She will not be adopted to a family with small children or cats / small dogs (exception for very experienced dog families, of course)....her play style is very rough - not aggressive, just very boisterous & herding in style (including lite 'nipping' to move the other dog into the right place). I would recommend caution w/ the 3 smaller dogs......she can be a lot of dog - fantastic w/ other dogs with similar play/energy styles....could be disasterous with a dog that just wants to be left alone....

No fear of anything.....despite being deaf, she is very curious, and will jump head first into everything! (I guess if your bred to herd bigger, wild animals, you have to have a bit of an attitude ;) ) A tad on the stubborn side when she wants to be.....but smart....

Loves to play, run, fetch, and operates at full speed or nap time....no in between :D

She is a definitely a dog with a sense of humour, and will keep you on your toes!

I have found people either love her or don't....there's no in between.....for me, she's going to be one of the hard ones to let go when we finally do find the right family for her.......

Let us know how things work out...

C.
:ca:

jesse's mommy
May 15th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Ummm, you know this thread is from 2005 right? :o