Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I don't know what to do....

fredo
April 19th, 2005, 12:35 PM
:( I have had my dog for just over a week now. He is 4 montsh old and is a daschund/poodle mix. The first 5 days he adpated well to his crate and going to the bathroom outside with no accidents and no crying, whining etc..... All was well until Friday. I walk him in first thing in the morning 20-30 minutes, lunch (20-30 minutes(, after work (1 hour) and after dinner (30 minutes). he is fed in the mornign and evening at the same times. On Firday, I walked him at lunch and once brought back in and he went into his crate, he did his business in there. I said "NO" and promptly took him outside onto the grass. I sanitized and cleaned up his crate and again that same evening he did the exact same thing, right after a walk. THis happened again on Sunday, Monday and today he did it before I got home for lunch.....I am beside myself

Eleni
April 19th, 2005, 12:45 PM
maybe he needs to go out more often, is there a neighbor who can take them out inbetween your walks with him?

I know my dog whos now just 5 months had this problem
for awhiel we were taking him out every hour and eventually he just got it and in the past 2 weeks ive been able to take him out on a schedual like this

6 30 am
10 30 am
2 pm
5pm
7pm
10 pm

its worked well for us, but it took alot of patience while he was still getting it.

but i took accidents as i need to ahve him out longer and more often.

im a stay at home mom so it was easier for me then it might be for you with work and all, but if a neighbor could help you out i bet the dog would be appreciative

Eleni

Copper'sMom
April 19th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Patience and persistance!!!! Give it lots of time! The pup is still a pup and has the bladder of a pup!

Writing4Fun
April 19th, 2005, 01:39 PM
he is fed in the mornign and evening at the same times.
Oh, don't fret over this! :) He's still very young, and small dogs such as yours are usually harder to train than bigger dogs. First things first - has he been to the vet to rule out any medical conditions? He might be having issues (eg. worms) and so might not be able to help himself. If the vet says he's fine, then I'd ask what time are you feeding him, in relation to his walks? I mean, are you feeding him, walking him right away, and then putting him back into his crate? Maybe he needs time to digest, and so needs more time between his feedings and walks? I know my dog needs a good bout of exercise to "get things moving" :p , and so will dash around the yard at top speed before having a BM. Maybe that's what's happening with your pup? The walk is getting his bowels "in motion", and then he's being put back into his crate too soon? Just a couple of things to think about...Good luck! :thumbs up

Beetlecat
April 19th, 2005, 05:19 PM
It's only been a week. Once you figure out his rhythems, then it's a simple(ish) matter of making sure he's outside at those times.

With my pup, I fed him in his crate (2x/day), and took him out within about 20 minutes and he usually went immedietly. Often I'd have to walk him (especially in the beginning) so he would go. And he usually went once more at night, right before bedtime or sometimes he'd skip that one and just go when we went out in the morning.

And I would have to take him out within about 20 minutes after he had drank so he could pee.

Give it some time :)