Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

? about new Lab puppy

LabMom
April 19th, 2005, 11:42 AM
We just got a new puppy. He's a 2 1/2 mo old Lab and I have some questions. 1) At this age, about how many times should we be getting up to take him out in the middle of the night?(we don't know whether or not he's just whining for attention or whether he has to go). 2) when will he be able to go all night without going out? 3)Should we be working on basic commands(sit, stay...) now or is he too little? 4) Is there anyway to get him to stop whining in his crate at night if we're sure he dosen't have to go(like when we just brought him back in). any other advice anyone can give I would appreciate. Thank you

tenderfoot
April 19th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Congratulations on the new puppy.
1) Depends on the puppy. Give him his last meal at 5 or 6 pm and take his water up at 7ish. Take him out for a good long potty before bed and then into the crate (or your bed-he will sleep more soundly and is less likely to get up) - he needs to be sleeping in your room - crate or bed. This way he bonds to you in your sleep and you are able to monitor his needs.
2) Depends on puppy - he needs to learn to hold it for longer and longer - you help him learn this.
3) Yes, this puppy knows how to physically do everything already (sit, lay down, run towards you), it is simply giving the actions words and hand signals that he understands and praising the good outcome. He could have a 40 word vocabulary in a matter of weeks.
4) Patience works well - if you ignore the whining he will get tired and give up because it doesn't work. This could take a few nights of patience. If he gets into a rolling howl then stop it with a startle and say "quiet" in a firm, low tone. The startle could be you smacking the top of the crate - just once. It could take a few attempts at this before he associates his howling with the startle, but he will get it.

mona_b
April 19th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Also,do you have any toys in the crate for him?

Did he have any siblings?Maybe he is whinning because he misses them and he's alone now.Give him time.Was he in a crate before you got him?If not,did you gradually introduce him to the crate?

And no,he is not to young to start teaching him basic commands.Just don't thow to many commands at him all at once.One at a time.He is only a llittle over 8 weeks... :)

We would love to see pics........ :thumbs up

LabMom
April 19th, 2005, 12:15 PM
i know he did have at least 1 brother left. He was using the crate before we got him. We did put some toys in there for him, is that good? We just moved his crate from the kitchen to our bedroom at night, but is there a certain spot we should put it? Near the bed or does it matter? Should we put something of ours in there with him so he dosen't think he's alone? I will try to get a pic up of him, but I saw they have to be a certain size and I have to figure out how to do that. thanks for all the advice. keep it coming :thumbs up

LabMom
April 19th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Well, I tried to show a pic. but it didn't turn out so good. There's a little bigger one on my profile.

tenderfoot
April 19th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Hard rubber chew toys/bones are good in the crate - I just wouldn't want him to have a soft toy that he could tear up and swallow when you aren't watching.
At night it would be best to have the crate next to the bed so you can monitor him better, but it is not manditory.
At night you could take something (towel/sheepskin toy) that you have slept with for a few nights or rubbed on yourself just after a sweaty workout, and put it in the crate for comfort.

joemoe
April 21st, 2005, 08:37 AM
We trained our two dogs by crate training them by the door they use to go outside then they know as they have to go or have an accident where they need to be when that time comes. It worked great for us. The whining at night will stop and the lil guy is just lonely, afraid or misses his sibs. good luck with your lab and remember they are one of the most hyper breeds out there but I love ours and they are such loving dogs. Enjoy :usa: