Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Recommendation of a place for spaying dogs? In the GTA

netcbc
April 18th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Hi thinking about spaying my 7 month old Golden, can I get some suggestions and prices? Thanks!

Daizy
April 19th, 2005, 09:22 AM
The cost of spaying my dog was approx. $365 plus follow up fees for removal of stitches.

Lucky Rescue
April 19th, 2005, 09:24 AM
So glad to hear you're doing the responsible thing and getting your dog spayed!:) This will prevent her from getting cancers of the reproductive systems, deadly pyometra and of course the chance of an unwanted litter!

You can call around to vets. You'll need to tell them how much your dog weighs to get a price. Outside the city the cost is probably less. Or you can go to a vet school.

I'm sure people in your area will have suggestions!

sammiec
April 19th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Our fee was $350 for a 40lb dog. She had a follow up exam a week later as well, but they doctor did the stitches so that they were inside (none visible on the outside, less chance for tearing) and used dissolving stitches so there was no visit for removal. We are VERY pleased with our vert. He is very caring and loving towards ALL animals. He truly loves his job, and for that I would pay double! :)

netcbc
April 19th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Our fee was $350 for a 40lb dog. She had a follow up exam a week later as well, but they doctor did the stitches so that they were inside (none visible on the outside, less chance for tearing) and used dissolving stitches so there was no visit for removal. We are VERY pleased with our vert. He is very caring and loving towards ALL animals. He truly loves his job, and for that I would pay double! :)

Hi I was wondering where did you do the spaying? As well was it $350 including tax?

coppperbelle
April 19th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Wow, that price sounds high. Are prices higher in Toronto versus Montreal? I paid about $100.00 three years ago for Chloe. Hunter was done through the rescue so I am not certain how much it cost although I am certain it was under $200.00. As a volunteer for a golden rescue organization I spoke to a woman a few months ago that had not spayed her dog due to the high cost. I referred her to Vanier college spay clinic and the cost was under $100.00

wingsonawolf
April 20th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Mississauga Spay & Neuter Clinic (Dixie and Eglinton) charges $115 for a neuter for any size of dog and $170 for a spay (tax included).

Also, Toronto Animal Services has very low cost spay/neuter... I think it was $80 for male dogs and I can't remember for females.

Maxam
April 20th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Mississauga Spay & Neuter Clinic (Dixie and Eglinton) charges $115 for a neuter for any size of dog and $170 for a spay (tax included).

Also, Toronto Animal Services has very low cost spay/neuter... I think it was $80 for male dogs and I can't remember for females.

Why is there such a huge price discrepancy of this clinic vs. others vets? My Vet gave me a price quote ranging from approx $380+tx to $550+tx. This was for laser surgery. The $550 incl blood work & fluids during operation which was not covered in the $380.

What does the $170 include?

BeagleMum
April 20th, 2005, 10:30 AM
What area are you in? I just got Spencer neutered (I know it's different) for $97. You vet is in a small town about an hour outside of Ottawa and is a lot cheaper than the city.

wingsonawolf
April 20th, 2005, 12:17 PM
For the Mississauga S&N Clinic those prices don't include blood work or fluids, just the altering. I'm sure they're available though if you wanted them. We've had many of our foster dogs altered here and they've always done a good job.

For T.A.S., I'm not sure if they're included or not. I would assume not though.

I guess some places just have lower prices as a means to encourage people to alter their pets.

mafiaprincess
April 20th, 2005, 12:23 PM
We paid 230 in st. kitts for a medium dog spay.

Blood work would have been an extra 67 - 120

SnowDancer
April 20th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I would get a price from my regular vet and work from there. If price is cheaper at a location near to you - doesn't help if you have to pay more than the differential to get to other vet - then consider going there. But I like to have all of my pets health care needs taken care of by same vet - just easier if a related health problem occurs. Plus my dog knows his vet and the techs so that really helps with the fear of the whole process. Actually when I adopted a dog from the Humane Society I still took her to my own vet, despite the voucher for a reduced price at the Humane Society. She was nervous enough without having to go back there.

Maxam
April 20th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I agree with getting all the dog's checkups and spaying/neutering at one vet mainly due to the fact that the vet knows Nera's (my pup) medical history. However, the quote ($380)from my regular vet is for the basic service w/o blood work or fluids. That's a difference of $210 and Mississauga is just a hop down the highway from Brampton.

What's T.A.S.?

mafiaprincess
April 20th, 2005, 01:33 PM
In looking at other vets other than your own, you may have to pay an exam fee, and then you may have to have an exam on one day, and bring your pup back on another for the spay.. So the cost of going a few times may need to be factored in if it is a further drive.

wingsonawolf
April 20th, 2005, 01:36 PM
T.A.S. is Toronto Animal Services (the "pound").