Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do your cats all know their names?

Shamrock
April 18th, 2005, 04:41 PM
My new cat Zack still doesnt know his name after almost three months, even though I make a point to use it often ( he is two years old). He might learn it, still, of course. He didnt respond to the name he "used " to have either, though - even when I first got him. I found that a bit unusual :confused:

My two other cats definitely know when called by their names.
Adult rescues would mostly all be given new names - many are strays.
Dogs seem to invariably learn their new names and quite quickly, I'd say.
Maybe some cats just need a lot more time - or dont ever pick this up?

"Kitty" always works anyway - doesnt really matter with a cat whether they know or dont know.
I was just curious about this.

SarahLynn123
April 18th, 2005, 05:03 PM
My cat Charlie doesn't know his name but he does have his own sound that he listens to. We make a kissey sound followed by clicks and he cames bareling over to us!

amber416
April 18th, 2005, 05:12 PM
My cat knows her name...whether or not she chooses to respond to it at any given time is another story :)

Lissa
April 18th, 2005, 05:15 PM
My cat also knows her many names (shotened forms, baby-talk) and sounds that I only use for her. She also responds if I jingle "her" bell. If you don't free feed your cat maybe you could repeatedly say his name and sort of "tease" the food in front of him and remove it until he looks at you or gives some signal that he is focused and listening to what your are saying. Maybe you could also designate a sound that is specifically his own that you make when it is his time to play with you, sit with you - any time spent bonding together. Other than that I'm not sure. Sometimes if my cat is sitting on my lap and doesn't look at me when I say her name I give her a little poke or tap or touch her nose and she responds by looking at me.
I hope he learns his name soon!
Melissa

CyberKitten
April 18th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Cats are extremely intelligent (more intelligent than dogs actually - they have much better memories according to studies). They will remember their names - they just do as they please, lol Mine knows her name. She looks up when I talk to her and does come when i call her. Still she is a Siamese and they like to be around people.

I did read somewhere recently that kitties respond better to names with two sounds in them and with eee's in the name. So, Cloe, Joey would be good picks according to that. Mot sure how valid that was tho. My cats have always known their names regardless of whether it had e's or not, lol

dmc123
April 18th, 2005, 05:50 PM
I agree with amber, mine all (5 +1 new adoptee hopefully will soon know his, Hector) but they decide when or if to respond. Well, Harley is the only one that will come whenever you call.

Diane

glasslass
April 18th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Puss-Puss definitely knew her name. If I spoke her name, she would answer back with a soft little trill.

Beetlecat
April 18th, 2005, 06:37 PM
My cat knows his name. I just tested it actually. He's sleeping on my bed right now and I looked over and called "Beetle." His ears perked and he opened his eyes... and then the dog came lol.

Beetle almost always comes when I call him, unless he can see me and knows I don't have any food for him :D So if I wanna know where he is, I call him. If he comes, then he's right here, and if he doesn't come, then I know he's still right here... somewhere... lol

hmm... 2 syllibles and an 'eee' sound? Apparently I picked the perfect name :party:

Safyre
April 18th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah, my cats know thier names, as well as thier nicknames
Zeppo will come to 'Zep zep' 'tubby' and 'turtle!"
Haylee will come to 'grey thing' 'hail bop' 'boo'

mona_b
April 19th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Yup,Winnie knows her name.We even call her Winnie Pooh and she comes.Casper doesn't know his name.That's only because he is deaf.. :sad: ....We realized it 2 weeks after we adopted him at 8 weeks old.

Princesss04
April 19th, 2005, 09:59 AM
That is the thing with cats (they are moody) maybe he knows his name just does not want to listen. Cats do what they want. :D

happycats
April 19th, 2005, 10:09 AM
When I got my first cat, he was a stray, the pound called him "Pacer", I called him "Jack" but he didn't respond to that name. So one day (about a week after I got him) I just started calling out every name I could think, and when I got to "Lucky", he actually turned around and looked at me, so I called out "Lucky" again, and he came to me :love: .
So basically he picked out his own name and has answered to it ever since! :D

krdahmer
April 19th, 2005, 10:58 AM
LOL...cats and names... I guess they all have that selective hearing thing going on eh? Must have caught it from our hubbies!

Mine all respond to their names (when in trouble) and their nicknames (for pets & treats)....

Windy~ Missy or Big Girl
Smoke~ My Little One or SchmokeyPoo
Buddy~ Bud or Big Boy
Fagan~ Little Fella or HEY! (when he's in trouble....we rarely use Fagan unless talking to other people about him)

Buddy also knows the word 'NO' and its connotation. (He's the only one of the bunch that I haven't raised since kittenhood...and yet he seems the easiest to train.) And I taught them so well with the spray bottle that all I have to do is make the scht (spray bottle) sound and they all stop what they are doing. :thumbs up

AliSam
April 19th, 2005, 10:58 AM
No, unfortunately Ali never did learn her name. We kept trying. Actually, maybe she just chose not to listen. :p

Writing4Fun
April 19th, 2005, 01:32 PM
LOL! Yeah, Brooklyn knows his name, but chooses to ignore it most of the time. :p

Sneaky2006
April 19th, 2005, 01:35 PM
We'd like to think all of ours know their names but when we call one for whatever reason, they all come... I guess they associate our calling to treats or some other food and don't care whose name we say.

Eleni
April 19th, 2005, 01:35 PM
my cats know their names but choose not to follow direction.

however if i call out sugars name when i get home if ive been out she will come running to greet me, that is if sammy diddnt get me first.

cats really are a person all to themselves, and its hit and miss if they will respond ive found

Eleni

Chatito
April 21st, 2005, 01:01 PM
I did read somewhere recently that kitties respond better to names with two sounds in them and with eee's in the name. So, Cloe, Joey would be good picks according to that. Mot sure how valid that was tho. My cats have always known their names regardless of whether it had e's or not, lol

Yes, yes, yes. I intentionally named most of the cats I have ever owned this way. Not because I had read about it, but I had noticed it. I didn't stick to their original names most of the time when I noticed that they would respond better to the long e sound. It all started with Lily. Then I had Willy then Billie. Rocky, Chatito, and now Mya and Elly.

BEAR_NZ
April 24th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Has Zack been checked out for deafness? i wonder if he can hear properly or not...especially since he did not respond to his former name also.
Our little kitten bella is 5 weeks old tomorrow, and she has been responding to her name since she was 3 weeks old. She will come running when we call, which is great especially since she is so small and sometimes we can't find where she is snuggling!!