Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for info on beagles and corgis

asoiferman
April 18th, 2005, 01:52 PM
I'm interested in finding out the negatives on each of these breeds. I was thinking of going through a rescue organization for either of these, but want to know as much as I can as possible. Thanks.

Lucky Rescue
April 18th, 2005, 02:38 PM
These are two very different breeds. Beagles are scent hounds and are usually easy going, sweet and friendly, but they do tend to bay and will run off if let off leash. They are impelled to follow scent. The baying and barking can be a big problem in an apartment.

Corgis are cattle herding dogs, and as such can be very independant and stubborn - qualities that are necessary for the sometimes dangerous job of herding cattle. They are very intelligent, fun, loyal and endearing pets, usually good with kids and good watchdogs. They do very well in obedience, agility and lots of other activities. Barking could also be a problem in an apartment.

If you decide on a beagle, they are being dumped in droves and you will have no problem finding one that is right for you.

Beaglemom
April 18th, 2005, 04:34 PM
I'm not too familiar with Corgis, but I do own a Beagle and might be able to give you some information about them. As LuckyRescue stated, they are very easy going, sweet and friendly dogs. Definitely not guard dogs, but will bark when someone comes to the door and then proceed to greet them happily.

They can never be trusted off leash because they are ruled by their noses. That being said, your food is fair game to them if they are able to reach it. They are constantly searching for something to eat and can become overweight if not closely monitored. They can be very stubborn and are independent to a certain degree. My beagle was very easy to train. They are very smart and learn quickly. If you have a treat, they will do anything you ask them to!

They can bark and howl/bay quite loudly, especially when excited about something or bored. A bored beagle will get into trouble.

As puppies, they can be a handful. My beagle tried to get into everything. She was quite the chewer! They are very energetic. I have also heard that they can be a little bit difficult to housebreak, but I didn't have that problem. My Beagle was very easy to housebreak.

They have short coats, but they do shed. A good hound glove will do the trick at keeping the shedding to a minimum.

If you do indeed decide on a Beagle, consider one of the rescue organizations. Many Beagles are given up because their previous owners didn't do their research. They are not for everyone. They demand a lot of attention and are people dogs.