Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flax Oil

BeagleMum
April 18th, 2005, 12:54 PM
I just bought some Flax Oil for Spencer (beagle) but was wondering how much I should be giving to him. He is 5 months old and is 14lbs.

Any ideas? I had heard 1 tsp/day but want to be sure.

Daizy
April 18th, 2005, 03:25 PM
I sometimes give my dog Odo oil and a very small amount each day i.e. 1/2 teaspoon.

http://www.udoerasmus.com/index_main.htm

2Cats&AGolden
April 18th, 2005, 03:50 PM
I just bought some Flax Oil for Spencer (beagle) but was wondering how much I should be giving to him. He is 5 months old and is 14lbs.

Any ideas? I had heard 1 tsp/day but want to be sure.

1/2 - 1 tsp sounds about right for such a small dog. I have a 65 lb dog and I give about 1 tbsp a day of a variety of oils. Watch out for any side effects with the flaxseed oil - few dogs actually tolerate it well. While it's certainly good for them, I found it gave my dog terrible itchies.

Good luck!

coppperbelle
April 18th, 2005, 08:20 PM
I recently tried flaxseed for one of my goldens. Within days I noticed he was scratching more than usual. I have stopped using it and am now giving Omega 3-6-9 instead.

I have heard that many dogs have trouble with it.

BeagleMum
April 19th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Ya, I didn't realize this. I am going to return it. I haven't even opened it yet.

LittleLoves
April 19th, 2005, 07:56 AM
I take a teaspoon of flax every day for myself, but never thought of giving some to my dog. What is it good for?

BEAR_NZ
April 24th, 2005, 10:04 PM
flax seed oil is an essential fatty acid, containing the omega 3 6 and 9 essential fatty acids. These fatty acids are actually a phospholipid, which is also what the outside of our cell membranes are in fact made of. Essential fatty acids cannot be produced in our bodies, so we are reliant to source them from the foods that we eat. They can be found naturally occuring in many nuts and seeds, in particular almonds, linseed,pumpkin seeds, sunflower and safflower seeds, just to mention a few. The function of essential fatty acids is to promote good cell health in the body. Because they are a phospholipid they have a real synergy with the cells, almost making sure that they(the cells) travel along at their correct pace, and perform their individual purpose correctly. They are also amazing for keeping blood sugars level,lowering high cholesterol, they are anti-cancerous, and they promote healthy eyes, skin, hair and nails.They also give a real immunity booster, being a great anti-viral protector. The other function of the essential fatty acid is to prevent constipation, and keep the bowel functioning nice and regularly... sometimes a bit toooooo regularly!!!! It is recommended that we have about 1 Tbsp of flax seed oil or other essential fatty acid a day as humans... it goes a lot on body mass. So for an animal even a tsp may be a little too much...as it is very rich.Maybe only a quarter to half a tsp will be suffice? If the flax seed oil isn't working too well for you, may i suggest using safflower oil, which is also very high in essential fatty acids. I do incorporate it into our kittens meals, and it is just simply amazing how it does promote healthy growth. I am really attracted to it as it is such an immunity booster. :thumbs up ooh. just an after thought too, sometime flax seed oil is recommended for eczema sufferers.. and it definately hastens the rate in which the skin cells renew themselves... i wonder if this is the reason why the dogs get the itchies from it??? they might be shedding their old skin!!!! and itching off the old cells.

twodogsandacat
April 24th, 2005, 10:22 PM
I recently tried flaxseed for one of my goldens. Within days I noticed he was scratching more than usual. I have stopped using it and am now giving Omega 3-6-9 instead.

I have heard that many dogs have trouble with it.

My local pet food store has just got in a new product from Wysong called EFS. It apparently works great from the feedback the store owner has heard for itchy skin and ear infections. Of course it may seem a little pricey (I don't know the price but Wysong isn't cheap). What do you use for Omega 3-6-9?

http://wysong.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WOTTPWS&Product_Code=E_F_A&Category_Code=SUP&Product_Count=5