Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stitches Or Superglue?

lil' iggy pop
April 18th, 2005, 12:45 PM
I know the issue of declawing can be touchy with a lot of people.

We have a young kitten who will be declawed when he's old enough. My question is, which is better, stitches or superglue? I have a cat who got stitches, bled through them and needed a bootie (which she tore off soon after getting home). My brother in law's cat had superglue but limped a lot. I touched his paws and the glue had hardened into lumps, which I don't think would feel very pleasant when he walks as they'd be pushing against his wounds. He also ripped out the glue soon afterwards ( :eek: )

Any thoughts?

Eleni
April 18th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I dont know since i have never declawed a cat however, i beg you to reconsider declawing your kitten its a cruel and inhumane thing to do

thats my 2cents

Eleni

sammiec
April 18th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Any thoughts?? Really???

Even after you've seen both horrible methods done and the pain that the animals have been in, and you still want to declaw another?? I think you should rip your own nails out and superglue the open sores.

You asked.

Eleni
April 18th, 2005, 01:10 PM
some links to look at regarding declawing

http://www.kittyangels.org/declawing.html

http://www.gulfcoasthumane.org/dangers_of_declawing.htm

http://www.kittykind.org/cc_risks.html

http://www.de-clawing.com/

just hoping you make an informed decision

Eleni

lil' iggy pop
April 18th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Yes I realized I would get angry responses about it and I do like watching him climb and play with his toys. The thing is, he won't let us near his paws. I tried waiting for him to fall asleep, treats, singing, giving him a scratching post, making loud noises when he scratches and wrapping him up in a towel. The towel method sent him into panic attacks, he was choking (it was not that tight), screaming, hyperventilating, etc. I honestly thought he was going to die on me so I had to let him go.

What else am I supposed to do? I can't have him wrecking the house. I don't mind the odd scratches on me but I don't want to lock him up either.

goldenblaze
April 18th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Blaze hated to have his nails cut, I tried to cut them while he was sleeping it didn't work BUT after learning how to make him feel safe while doing cutting his nails he know lets me do thing with no problem.. you cat will be the same in time.

Trinitie
April 18th, 2005, 01:33 PM
A cat can be properly trained to NOT scratch furnature or people. Persistence is the key - declawing isn't.

I really don't think you'll get a very good response to this question.'

I don't do this often, and probably won't do it again for quite some time, but:

I BEG you, with every fiber of my being - DO NOT do this horrible thing to your beloved pet.

Eleni
April 18th, 2005, 01:33 PM
some information on kittens and scratching :)

http://www.perfectpaws.com/scratch.html
http://www.pawschicago.org/PetCare/catscratching.htm
http://www.the-cats-meow.ca/declaw7.html

I personally provided my cats a scratching board as kittens that i would spray a catnip spray onto, and praised them when the scratched it, when they tried to scratch anything else i squirted them with a water bottle

Eleni

amber416
April 18th, 2005, 01:43 PM
You can take your cat to a groomer or a vet to get his nails clipped if you can't do it yourself. And as for your statement about you being unable to have your house wrecked, why would you get a cat if you were so worried about your house? When you take in a pet you have to be prepared to deal with the unpleasant things that come along with a pet. Cats, especially kittens, can also be taught not to scratch things like furniture. There are definitely things you can try before you resort to mutilating your cat for your own convenience.

lil' iggy pop
April 18th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Well, I will continue to think about this. I appreciate the honest responses from the people who disagree with the choice and not attacking me as a person. My intentions are to do what is the best for pet and family, not to purposely hurt my cat.

Sneaky2006
April 18th, 2005, 01:53 PM
This is a very sore subject here. Actually the members were being nice this time!

Many people don't know what declawing actually involves, it's considered amputation because the first joint of each toe is also removed, not just the nail. Scalpel or laser, super glue or stitches, it doesn't really matter, your cat will still be in tons of pain and it's so not worth it! I couldn't imagine my cats not being able to climb or play with toys... why did you get a cat again?

I'm glad you're going to think it over, I hope you've had a chance to read the links that were given.

SarahLynn123
April 18th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I think training, persistance and patience is the key. We have a huge scratching post for our cat to go inside or on top and flip around on. Anytime he tries to scratch else where, we will take him off the furniture and put him on the scratch pad. He gets it after a while. We also have him chase a string on the post so he claws it and knows and gets treats.

Please try training and give it time. He's a baby, so baby steps are required.

CyberKitten
April 18th, 2005, 02:28 PM
I will only add neither is better. PLEASE DO NOT DECLAW YOUR CAT. Read this before you do anything:

http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/

Declawing is cruel and unecsessary and illegal in most civilized countries except the US and Canada. We hgave debated it several times on this web site so I won't repeat myself - you can search to find the discussion. I can't believe anyone would willingly hurt a little defenceless kitten and ensure her a life later of athritis and potential beahviour problems simply because someone can't takwe the time to train her properly. I will understand if you are not aware of the many alternatives and hope you doscover them on that web site I posted.

Princesss04
April 18th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Please do not declaw your cat. You can take it to the groomer or to the vet and let them cut his nails. Decalwing a cat is not the way to go. Please think about this and think about your poor fur baby! :sad:

glasslass
April 18th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Your kitty already has issues with his paws being handled. Why would you want to make his worst nightmare become a reality?

Sadie's Mom
April 18th, 2005, 03:54 PM
^^^^EXACTLY!!!

Have you tried treats? Our cat, who btw is Maine Coon and weighs around 20 lbs, HATED having his nails trimmed when he was younger. We managed to do it between my Dad holding him tight and me cutting them. Then when we were done, he'd get delicious ham that he devoured as a treat. Eventually he mellowed out and would be patient while getting his nails trimmed in anticipation of the ham he knew he'd be getting when it was all over. Now he automatically runs to the kitchen after we're done and I can easily trim his nails myself.

It's takes dedication (and a lot of disinfectant for the scratches), but it's worth it to avoid the disgusting and cruel procedure of de-clawing the cat. I think that de-clawing is just a quick fix for irresponsible owners. :mad:

krdahmer
April 18th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Just last year my Maine Coon, Cordelia, who had been declawed when spayed, (yes before my family and I knew better) had a very costly surgery to remove one of those painful hard lumps left behind by the glue. She was fine for 6 years, then suddenly started to limp really bad... after a whole lot of head scratching the vet figured out that it was the glue spot, and that her little body had never stopped trying to get rid of the "foreign" object. She spent a good 4 months limping and in pain because we were ill informed about declawing.

I know that a cat that fights back is very very difficult to clip... I have one, Buddy who I swear is stronger than me that leaves me with bruises and wounds every time. It will take a long time to get a cat used to getting clipped, and there are people who will do this for you, like the vet or a groomer...but in the long run it really is better for the cat, and you. Declawing is not only an unecessary and painful procedure, but it can lead to complications down the road.

Please reconsider, as many of us on here know exactly what you mean when you say your cat has panick attacks etc, when you try to clip it's claws... a lot of us have our own tricks we'd be happy to share with you also. Like with my big guy, Buddy... I always make sure to cradle him fairly tight and angled away from my face (I also usually do the claw clipping alone as they are less panicky when only one person is handling them) I kiss the top of his head and talk soothingly to him ('there's one foot done, just one to go' sort of stuff) I am very gentle when pushing the claws out and if he gets to worked up I put him down and finish them off later in the day. The key of course is patience (and lots of peroxide for your wounds!).... but trust me no cat owner has this down pat right off the bat, it takes a lot of trial and error and dedication to perfect claw clipping....and hell even then it's still all up to the cat! Eventually they see that claw clipping is just part of their routine and will tolerate it to get to the treats afterwards. :D

Good luck in whatever your final decision may be. And thanks for being a caring pet owner and seeking advice. :grouphug:

nymph
April 18th, 2005, 05:29 PM
What else am I supposed to do? I can't have him wrecking the house. I don't mind the odd scratches on me but I don't want to lock him up either.

Have you tried the scratching post? Cats usually like to scratch only a few areas, usually. My parents own 3 cats, 2 of them have been trained to use a scratching post, but one just never got the idea, so my parents let her scratch on the leg of one old sofa, it's her corner. Sure the sofa is ruined, but so what.

I just can't fathom on the idea of declawing a cat. You do realize that it's only called deCLAW right? It's actually deKNUCKLE! The cat's first knuckle is removed! How would you feel if you are walking on your ankles all the time?

Safyre
April 18th, 2005, 10:17 PM
We had stiches with Missy, it was over 16 yrs ago, and she is gone now. She didn't tear the stiches. Haylee, she had superglue and she DID rip the sore open one night on the stairs.
It really depends, bad things can happen using either one. My dog, had an allergic reaction to the glue when they did her spaying.