Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

update!!

jan3toc
April 18th, 2005, 03:46 AM
hi everyone.. i posted a picture of dodger a couple of days ago.. so you could give me your opinions about his breed.. well i got pictures of his parents! please tell me what u think now...

Dodger:
http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL168/2109899/6974491/90290555.jpg

Dodger's Dad:

http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL168/2109899/6974491/93448111.jpg

Dodger's mom:
http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL168/2109899/6974491/93448116.jpg

sorry the last picture is big!!

Dukieboy
April 18th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Definately part pit. The mother looks like one of those canary dogs.

Luvmypit
April 18th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Dodgers dad is a pit. Mom looks like a presno but too small I think. Im not great with breeds. You atleast have a pit mix there.

Schwinn
April 18th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Definitely pit. Just one question, is Dad really that skinny? He looks awfully underfed. And you're sure these are the parents? He seems to have something in him the other two don't. I'm not an expert, either, though.

Natasa
April 18th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Pups from the same litter can have different sire. I think that is a strong possibility here. Do you know if they have any other intact dogs or if the mom was around any other intact males while she was in heat?
Supposed dad is a pit bull (in great shape IMO) and mom looks like one. Doesnít look like a Presa to me. Iím not an expert on that breed either, but she doesnít look like one except for the short crop, is too small and I donít think they come in red.

mona_b
April 18th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Both parents are definately Pits.Mom looks a bit different cause her ears are cropped....I have also have to ask about whether mom was near anyone else?Dodger,going by the size of the paws and colouring,looks to me like he may have Rottie in him.

Lucky Rescue
April 18th, 2005, 12:19 PM
These dogs are both pit bulls. That puppy was not fathered by that stud. I still say a rottie fathered him, either an "oops" thing or deliberately done.

happycats
April 18th, 2005, 02:09 PM
I think Mom may have had an encounter with a beagle or other type of hound, I don't believe thats the dad.

jan3toc
April 18th, 2005, 04:10 PM
well i'm not too sure there would be another father, the mom and dad both belong to the same people. They only have these two dogs, so i'm not sure the female would have had any other partners... dodger has the ears and other features like his dad.. his brothers/sisters either look like the mom or the dad, he's the only one that has a mixture of both...here's another pic of him...

taken 2day!
http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL168/2109899/6974491/93505065.jpg

http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL168/2109899/6974491/93505074.jpg

raingirl
April 18th, 2005, 05:32 PM
you can have puppies from more than one father I understand. Maybe the mother was left outside for a while, and a stray made it over the fence and mated without the family knowing. It's possible.

I still see beagle in there somewhere.

Prin
April 18th, 2005, 06:48 PM
It only takes a second, you know. THose ears look more rottie or lab than pitty. Pitty ears tend to hang away from the head (like in the pic of the dad).

Lucky Rescue
April 18th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Pit bulls can have just about any kind of ears, from stand up "bat" ears to full drop ears like a lab, and anything in between. Pit bulls with incorrect ear types are often cropped, so that may be why the mother has cropped ears.
Puppies' ears can also change, and they often "grow into them".

What makes me think this pup is mixed are those paws and that long furry tail.

No matter what your puppy is, he's very very VERY cute!!!!! Just train, socialize and love him as a member of the family and he should be fine.

What I find the most disturbing about this is yet another irresponsible and clueless backyard breeder churning out puppies of a breed who are being killed in uncounted numbers all over the continent. Shame on them. :mad:

Safyre
April 18th, 2005, 10:35 PM
his coloring COULD be explained by the brindle in Daddy, but.. i dunno, i'm thinking hound of some sort.

Schwinn
April 19th, 2005, 09:53 AM
It only takes a second, you know. THose ears look more rottie or lab than pitty. Pitty ears tend to hang away from the head (like in the pic of the dad).

Hey, it happens to ALL men once in a while, you know!

mona_b
April 19th, 2005, 10:14 AM
What makes me think this pup is mixed are those paws and that long furry tail.

My same thoughts LR.

I still say he has Rottie in him.I have never seen a pure Pit with paws like that or even a furry tail like that.Even the ears seem to be fluffy.And that I haven't even seen on a Pit pup.He definately isn't pure though.

IMHO,with the colouring,he would have the brindle markings,which he doesn't.He's actually just a black and tan.

No matter what he is LR is right.He is very cute.... ;)

Prin
April 19th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Hey, it happens to ALL men once in a while, you know! Really? I haven't known any, other than dogs. LOL (like on Friends- "No it doesn't happen to everyone, it is not that common, and it IS a big deal!!"-- I watch too much tv... :p)

Schwinn
April 19th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Well, I didn't mean me. I was speaking for a friend, who is very self-conscious...

Prin
April 19th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Isn't it ALWAYS a friend?

Rottielover
June 23rd, 2005, 07:24 PM
I think that there is another breed in there too. Do not forget there can be multiple fathers to a bitch in heat. If she got out and mated with another dog the same time