Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

what's the best for dry skin?

pupyluv668
April 17th, 2005, 11:48 PM
my friend gave me her cat "tiger" pics later to come. well, anyways, tiger loves to stay near the rad during winter time. so he developed dry skin. dandruff like on his furr.....any of you guys know what to do?

Prin
April 17th, 2005, 11:55 PM
I was going to ask that same question. Boo always has dandruff. He's on super good food now and it's a bit less but not gone. Funny thing is I bought a spray on conditioner called "Buddy Splash" and it leaves them SUPER soft and fresh smelling and it was actually working but my man is totally allergic to it.. :confused: So I don't know what else to use.

pupyluv668
April 18th, 2005, 12:03 AM
you think its the food? she gave me what was left of the food she used to give him its "no name" lol...."buddy splash"? hmm...don't know where to get it....my old cat never had any probs that's why im so worried bout this one coz he's sensitive....even has arthritis. we can't touch is rear coz it hurts him....i guess my friend gave him to me coz she can't take care of his special needs..... :( ....but over all he is just one big chubby cat....

Prin
April 18th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Could really be the food. That is the first thing you switch when the fur is below par. I don't know if this link will work, but it's the only one I found in Canada with Buddy Splash.http://www.onsale-now.net/Cloud-Star-Buddy-Splash-Conditioner-Lavender-and-Mint-+p83803+1+1.html Here's another actually (gift shop):
http://www.treasuredbasketgifts.com/catalog/item/1104685/619699.htm

pupyluv668
April 18th, 2005, 12:22 AM
i was digging into the archives...says try to put 1 tbsp of olive oil to their dry food might help....will try this....also will check out buddy splash....thanks girl!! Mwah! hugs!

Prin
April 18th, 2005, 12:25 AM
I found the real company- I wasn't sure but the name is "Cloud Star". here is their home page (they actually call doggy odor "DO" lol):
http://www.cloudstar.com/

I heard that olive oil can lead to loose stools, but I am really not sure.

pupyluv668
April 18th, 2005, 12:31 AM
OMG so might not give him that to be sure...don't want to complicate his probs for now....hmmm....i love this buddy splash...lavender scent??? perfect!!

nymph
April 18th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Good food would definitely help to improve the fur. I also gave my puppy DermCaps (fatty acid supplement) to help with his dry flaky skin, and it has been working very well for him.

kandy
April 18th, 2005, 11:06 AM
We've had a lot of dogs with dry skin - it's really, really dry here so I think it's more common. We use a Omega 3 fatty acid supplement made just for dogs, but you could also use fish oil capsules (empty the capsules into the food) or vegetable oil. I remember seeing a thread where someone was asking if olive oil was better and the concensus was that it probably tasted better, but would'nt give any different results than vegetable oil and since dogs don't develop high cholesterol like people, there was no real reason to use olive oil instead of vegetable oil. They also make special shampoos for dry skin that we have found help. Hope that helps! I know that our newf puppy has the worst dandruff I have seen for a long time, but with the supplement and the dandruff shampoo - it is getting better.

SnowDancer
April 18th, 2005, 11:07 AM
If Buddy Splash has a lavender scent I wouldn't be able to be near it either so suggest you check with any other household members first. Many people do the olive oil routine with dogs. But I would first start with food. My mini short-haired Dachshunds used to hug radiators during winter for hours on end and they did not develop dry skin patches. Then of course they loved to lick my face and hand creams and have me rub my hands over bodies. My skin creams contain emu oil and petrolatum so this could account for it.

Safyre
April 18th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Cottage Cheese in the food works as well.

This time of year, most animals will have cry skin, due to the season. it does clear up within a few weeks, its the temp change.

pupyluv668
April 18th, 2005, 08:26 PM
fish oil seems good...i used cod liver oil with my chihuahua before and his coat was just gorgeous!!!

Safyre
April 18th, 2005, 10:27 PM
:yuck: cod liver oil :yuck:
sorry, that stuff makes ME sick, can't imagine using it for my animals.

Natasa
April 19th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Animal based oils are much better and easier for animals than plant based oils, but you have to be careful with cod liver oil as it has lot of vit A.
Salmon oil is the best imo, especially if its from wild (not farmed) salmon. My guys get Grizzly Salmon Oil sometimes.

pupyluv668
April 19th, 2005, 03:32 AM
:yuck: cod liver oil :yuck:
sorry, that stuff makes ME sick, can't imagine using it for my animals.

lol...safyre,.....yep he does stink for days....lol...i wondered how i toleratedthat for 12 years...lol....bless his soul....

natasa....salmon oil? in what form do they sell that? caps or oil?

Natasa
April 19th, 2005, 09:25 AM
This particular oil is in a bottle with a pump, which makes it very convinient. Lots of pet supply stores sell it here. I can't say enough good things abuot it.