Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

do puppies change color?

bremarie03
April 17th, 2005, 11:48 PM
our pup Darcy, about 14 weeks old seems to be getting lighter and lighter. She was all black with some well defined white on her chest, face, and toes. Now the white seems to be spreading, so it doesn't look as sharply contrasted with the black. Plus she now has some golden colored fur under her arms and legs and on her belly. So, is this weird? Common? I don't really care, as long as there is nothing wrong health-wise. Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this in puppies before?

Prin
April 17th, 2005, 11:52 PM
The only ones I know of that change colors are Eurasians and Leonbergers. Eurasians can get blacker in the face with age (says the guy at our park with one). The three Leonberger owners say that leonbergers can change colors as many as 5 times in their life times. They're really bizarre because every time I see them (they don't come too often), they're different and hard to recognize. Boo also changed color. We think he was named Cliff because he was red (Like Clifford the big red dog), and then he lost all his fur and turned black. So it's possible. What kind of dog is yours?

Daisy's Owner
April 18th, 2005, 06:53 AM
I don't know if it's normal, but, Daisy is changing color too. She was white, black and a little brown. The brown has slowly taken over the black.

Writing4Fun
April 18th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Yup, they sure can! :) Just like people. I was blonde when I was a kid. Grew out of that at about 4yrs old. :(

Lizzie
April 18th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Oh most definitely not weird! Some dogs don't get their spots until they are a little older either. Think about dalmations for example--they are just little white dogs when they are born and then voila!! Spot heaven! hehe :crazy:

goldenblaze
April 18th, 2005, 08:58 AM
True dalmations are born white and get their spots later, many dogs can change colour as they grow. Blaze was a very light golden colour at 8wks...now he is much darker.

Beaglemom
April 18th, 2005, 08:59 AM
It is normal for puppies to change colour as they grow. Some breeds like the Wheaten Terrier get lighter as they mature.

If I were to show pictures of my Beagle when she was two months old and pictures of her now as an adult, you would swear that they were two different dogs. She started off with a lot more black than she has now. She has gone more brown with only a little bit of the black markings. She is a tricolor beagle.

It is perfectly normal for a puppy to change its color as it matures.

Safyre
April 18th, 2005, 11:11 AM
echoing everyone else .... it is normal for a dogs color to change.
I attached a pic of Justice as she looks right now, and what she looked like at 8 weeks.

SnowDancer
April 18th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Definitely as they mature.

Natasa
April 18th, 2005, 11:28 AM
They definitely can change color. One of mine used to be chocolate brindle as a pup with the white patch on his nose. Now he is just chocolate or brown or something like that with no white on his head.

GsdDiamond
April 18th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Oh, they can definately change color!! Diamond used to have a jet black back...now...she's got more "red" color on her back and neck. If I can get a good picture of it I'll post it. It looks like she's got highlights!!! So cute! :p :p

mona_b
April 18th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Yup,it's normal.Actually any breed can change colours.

My GSD's were Black/Tan when they were younger.As they got older,the Tan part went darker.

glasslass
April 18th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Poodle puppies normally change colors. Silver poodles are born black. Cream starts out as apricot. Den-Den (my avatar) had the sweetest red ears! Sometimes I'm tempted to tint them again to surprise my hubby. I'm afraid the tint won't come out though.

BeagleMum
April 18th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Yup, Spencer changed color too. His head was all black and now it is almost all brown.

http://img195.echo.cx/img195/2427/mypictures00043va.th.jpg (http://img195.echo.cx/my.php?image=mypictures00043va.jpg)

http://img195.echo.cx/img195/4096/mypictures00021jh.th.jpg (http://img195.echo.cx/my.php?image=mypictures00021jh.jpg)

bremarie03
April 18th, 2005, 04:21 PM
what kind of dog she is....she's a lab/?border collie? mix. I'm glad to know it's normal :) Also, when we first got her she was jet black (except for the white parts, of course ;) ) and now it seems to me she looks more like a dark chocolate, especially on her head, and especially in bright light. Can't keep up with these crazy dogs! :rolleyes:

Someone also mentioned dalmations. In our puppy class, there is the CUTEST beagle/dalmation mix puppy, and he looks like a different dog everyweek with his spots coming out!

Prin
April 18th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Poodle puppies normally change colors. Silver poodles are born black. Cream starts out as apricot. Den-Den (my avatar) had the sweetest red ears! Sometimes I'm tempted to tint them again to surprise my hubby. I'm afraid the tint won't come out though.
This reminded me of a kuvasz at our park whose owner was jokingly annoyed while dying her hair and grabbed the doggie by the ears and told him to stop bugging her and his ears had red finger marks for a whole summer. :p

bremarie03-- dark lab mixes always shine brown or red, just so that people know they are not pure ;) . I noticed that at the park. My doggies look totally black, but next to a pure black lab, they are reddish (Jemma is purple sometimes).