Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to stop urinating on swingset posts

digdugmx6
April 17th, 2005, 10:18 PM
We have a 6 year old beagle that picks the worst place to lift his leg all the time, right by the kids swing set. He has killed all the grass and the smell is really bad :yuck: .

Is there any why to discourage him from using this area? Our yard is fenced so it's not like he just couldn't use another post.

We did put the old baby gates there for a while last year since he was terrified of those. Not any more :sad:

Whatever works needs to be safe and nontoxic for both kids and pets.

Prin
April 17th, 2005, 11:07 PM
I actually trained Boo not to pee on benches-- it's hard because at the dog park, other dogs are not so nice and he can't follow... I just caught him once and grabbed his collar and led him away from the bench, mid-pee and walked away saying, "No pissing on the benches". Whenever I see him sniffing near a bench, I go up to him and say it again and add "Get out of there". And when he pees on the fence, he gets a good praise.

Lucky Rescue
April 17th, 2005, 11:10 PM
What kind of training have you used? Training will work. Take him out on a leash and just let him lead you. As soon as you see he is going to pee there, give a little tug and say "NO PEE" and take him where you want him to go. When he goes, praise him and even give him a treat.

Since he has been allowed to go there for a long time the habit is deeply ingrained and you must be patient and persistant. He WILL learn.

Thoroughly clean the old area with bleach to try and eradicate the smell.