Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet Peeves? We all got em...

Shamrock
April 17th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Little aggravations are part of daily living. Usually we tolerate them with patience, but if our own stress level is elevated, we feel annoyed, even exasperated.
Some of them bug all of us, no doubt. Anyone "like" tailgaters? :crazy:
Others may be just little peeves of our own... little quirks that for some reason just "get" to us.

A few random things that never fail to make me grit my teeth:

- people standing immobile on escalators. Even the stair type isnt "so" bad, but the flat ramp type? Is this a ride? Maybe I am impatient, but unless you have a stroller or cart, I dont quite get it. And if you want to just stand there, fine, but could you maybe move to the side a bit - so others may pass?

-loud cell phone consultations for selecting any-and-every shoppping item. "They only have 60 percent whole wheat bread, honey."
"They're out of Pepsi..should I get the Coke?"
Should you really be out alone if you cant make such small decisions?

-driving of course should have a category of its very own but for me its those who wait until they are at a complete stop at a busy intersection, and then decide a left-turn signal might be a nice touch.
Oh.. and those who throw their cigarette butts out the window! Thoughtless AND dangerous. :mad:

What gets to you when you are out and about? ;)

chico2
April 17th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Cellphones in all shapes and forms,idiots driving in the fast lane,at 80km/hour while talking on the phone.
Someone not showing turnsignals because they are too busy talking on the phone.
Having my dinner disturbed at a restaurant by ringing phones,then a loudmouth discussing business for everyone to hear :mad:
Seeing a young mother with a van full of kids,driving erratically because she's talking on the phone :evil:
Yeah,you guessed it,I hate cell-phones :crazy:or I should say,some owners with cell-phones!
I even have one,but it's for emergencies only,I NEVER talk on the phone while driving,if I have to I'll pull over and stop.
Nothing,other than emergencies,is so important you cannot wait until you get home to phone...

Writing4Fun
April 17th, 2005, 05:14 PM
There was a very long thread about this a while ago, but I recently had another one to add to the list, so here goes... :p

Got a call a week ago. "Hi, I'm so-and-so from such-and-such marketing company. We're doing a survey, it'll take about 30 seconds." They caught me in a good mood, so I answered their questions - I usually hang up in their ears at that point. Well, a couple days ago I get another call. "Hi, I'm some-other-person from such-and-such marketing company. You answered a survey for us last week and our company has selected you to receive a free gift valued at $300 - congratulations! We'll deliver that to you this evening. When will you be home?" "What's the gift?" I ask. "Oh, you have your choice of three items," she says. "Really, what's the catch?" I ask. "No catch! Oh, but while we're there, we'll be giving you a little presentation on our whatever-it's-called vaccuum system." CLICK!! :evil:

That one is right up there with "You've won a free trip to Florida for 4! But, it'll cost you $350". Yeah, I don't know what planet you're from, but where I'm from, "Free" doesn't cost me anything! :mad:

Prin
April 17th, 2005, 05:20 PM
I hate cell phones. Call me risky, but I sorta like to play with tailgaters. You know, brake hard and watch 'em panic... I'm in traffic for about 2 hours/day, I gotta have fun somehow.

Pet Peeves:
I can hear my COPD neighbor cough up tar into his toilet about 6 times/day. Most disgusting thing ever. One reason we are moving.

People sitting in the passing lane going less than the speed limit and never looking in their mirrors.

Cell phone drivers/walkers/eaters... Who is SOOOO important that they have to be reachable all the time? Maybe doctors or vets or detectives... I'm not that important, hence I don't have a cell phone. And people say, What if you stall on the side of the highway? I say, there are thousands of people with cells, SOMEONE will call in. And if there is nobody and no houses for miles and miles, chances are there is no cell signal either.

Teenagers with cellphones. How many of these kids actually pay for their cell phones?

People who don't even look at the homeless who are asking for money. Ok, it can get annoying, but you are in your relatively new car, eating a chocolate bar, you're LUCKY. These people are human beings. Ignoring them and pretending they are not even there won't make them go away. It just hurts.

People who come out of the bar across the street (the only one in our area) and stand there yelling at each other. In the summer, I park my car right in front and discreetly set off my car alarm to get the bar owner to come out and yell at them. The bar sells drugs too so they want to keep a low profile...

that's about it. (for now) Back to Biostats... Oh ya. Biostats can fit in there too...

Rick C
April 17th, 2005, 05:35 PM
This is definitely a SMALL pet peeve . . . .

In various places when I go to the till to pay for my purchases, I'll give the cashier a bill, then pick up my bagged purchase with the other hand, ready to rocket out the door and allow the next person in line to hurridedly step up to the plate.

HOWEVER, coming back, the cashier will put change on top of a bill, then put the mess in my free hand . . . . and if I'm not dexterious enough with my thumb and fingers of that one hand, crumpling up that wad into a tight ball so it can be easily disposed of, I'll end up splattering coinage all over the place.

So the choice is to put down the bag I've already picked up, separate the bill so that the coins are in the palm of my hand where they should be, throw the coins in my suit jacket pocket, followed by the bill. Then pick up my purchases and exit, leaving the person behind me with at least 10 extra seconds of foot tapping time.

So . . . . any cashiers out there, listen up. Put the coins in my palm and the bill on top. That makes it very easy to fold the bill with my thumb and palm everything into my pocket in one swift motion as I'm heading for the door.

Coins on the bottom, bills on top.

Coins on the bottom, bills on top.

My pet peeve.

Or am I merely anal retentive? :clown:

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Lizzie
April 17th, 2005, 05:57 PM
hahahah!! That's big one of mine Rick!! Having spent my high school days as a cashier I knew the etiquette for this one--however I find MOST cashiers thess days do not get it!!

Karin
April 17th, 2005, 06:47 PM
"New" threads that get repeated like clock work so many times you get tired of repeating yourself by answering them.

Shamrock
April 17th, 2005, 07:41 PM
My apologies.
Never thought to do a search for this topic to see if it had been previously covered.

badger
April 17th, 2005, 08:12 PM
I think she meant questions about furbabies, Shamrock, no need to apologize.
Can't think of any pet peeves at the moment. Politicians who treat the public as if they were complete idiots?

Karin
April 17th, 2005, 08:20 PM
My apologies.
Never thought to do a search for this topic to see if it had been previously covered.

Sorry Shamrock! LMAO too...I was actually thinking of the recent "school is obviously out because of all the stinky cats" or " the many who's doing what with who and with what and my cat is having kittens without vaccinations under the house and my neighbor kicked my dog and my puppy is puking, what should I do? (again) kinda thread....

(in a nutshell of course)

Prin
April 17th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I thought you were serious Karin so I looked and there was a pet peeve thread that was from last November but got revived in January... But HEY, this is a new season, with new folks, we need new pet peeves. :p
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=9140&highlight=pet+peeves

CyberKitten
April 17th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Speaking of cashiers, I really get misffed with poeple who work at jobs they obvisuoly hate (esp if it with the public). Like find another if you hate what you do. Some examples - cashiers who feel like you are invading their space when you are there for them to ring up your purchases, uninformed people who think they know everything and need to tell you it all - usually when you are busy, loud and aggressive people (anyone recall the Desiderada (relates to the nostalgia thread, lol)- it says to avoid them but it is sometimes hard to.

I also am pretty miffed with people who try to get out of work. Maybe because I myself have health issues that would get me a "disability pension" in a minute, it irks me when people with much less wrong with them are getting so much a month (I know it's not much but it is the principle of the thing) from MY tax money. They are the type my dad would say spend more time getting out of work than they actually do working. I do not mean people who really need that support and there are many - often the ones who are not assertive enough to cope with the buracracy to obtain what they deserve - but the ones who seek an easy way out of their responsibilities.

Anyway - I couold go on but I won't. :)

jiorji
April 18th, 2005, 01:26 AM
hypocrites! ...know it all young'uns(it's only irritating cos i went through it too lol)...piggy peing on my lap...traffic!!..liars....liars....and more liars...and the team i work with...and oh yeah the whole retail experience!! :D lol

(not related to above comment).....and all of you complaining about cashiers...try to put yourself in the shoes of a minimum wage student trying to pay for school. Yes they could find a different job but finding a job is somewhat hard. Imagine working part time for 2 weeks and all you get is a mere 200 bucks. What's that gonna pay?
And yes i too mumble under my breath when i get to interact with the bitter woman behind the photo lab counter but seriously, there must be something bothering her too in her life.......but it WOULD save her a lot of trouble contradicting me when i ask for my order. I can bet you anything she only does that to make my life difficult. :mad:
honey....i come here often enough to remember me alwas asking the SAME thing so saying you don't do what i want is POINTLESS!!!*pulls hair out* lol

anyways...back to my point there....it sometimes helps being nice and smiley. THAT is the secret!!

Funny story...i went to return something at Canadian tire one day and man was tehre a lineup! girl behind the counter was taking everybody on while her manager was doing $&@$ all. (my manager does that too and it's rude). So my turn comes and she's all bitter and i smile and act all smiley and nice to her and she actually did loosen up. I had to go pick something else in exchange for what i returned and she was very nice.
so umm yeah that;s my story. lol

just imagine standing up for 8 hours everyday...how would that make you feel?
You all have unconditional love to come home to(ie. pets) maybe thy have nothing...*sniffle* :grouphug:

(ok so i went on a little rant there...this could be my longest posts yet!!)

Prin
April 18th, 2005, 03:07 AM
I worked as a cashier in a photo lab (I'm the bitter old lady I guess), I didn't enjoy the cash too much. Printing was fun (unless it was hunting season :yuck: ) but on cash? We developed 461 films in 4 hours once. The theoretical capacity of the machines is 80/hour. We and the machines were working our a**es off. And people come in and threaten to sue because the "1 hour" is not on time. I'm sorry, but if 4 people come in with 20 films each, that's an hour right there. Unless they want doubles, then that is two hours right there. And they blame you for overexposing their film and want their money back. (Don't use 400 speed film on the beach. You'll overexpose it to death.) Or better still, the heads are chopped off and they want their money back. I didn't take the pictures, don't blame me. And if you don't come every single day, I will not remember your face (unless you have comb-over or something, in which case you're probably going to get a nickname). The place I worked at developed about 800-1200 films per day. Try to remember all those people. After going through a line of people 95% of which have the same complaints, you lose your faith in people. People are rude. People are condescending. Jobs in the "service" sector lose their magic really fast. Keep in mind that it takes more energy to SERVE the line that is in front of you than to be STANDING in it. So if you're tired of standing in line, don't complain to the cashier. It's not his/her fault for scheduling so few cashiers, this person has enough to deal with.

(Have you ever seen regular people try the self-serve cashes at Loblaws? They are so sure they can do better than "those friggen slow cashiers". It's so funny to watch them SUCK at being a cashier. The pressure!! Mr Business Man In A Hurry needs help from the help desk for every item because he just doesn't get it. Ms I Shop All The Time cracks under the pressure, telling the people behind her in line, "I'm so sorry, it's not working properly..." I wonder if they actually learn a lesson from all of it. :p )

CK, maybe those people who obviously don't like their jobs have had their share of rude customers for the day and just need a break. Maybe the crabby cashier has been on her feet for 5 hours with no break, even though the law is a max of 2 hours. Maybe a customer just cheated her out of a $20 and it's coming out of her cruddy pay. Maybe a person got yelled at 5 minutes ago and just isn't in a perky mood anymore. Maybe the job just plain sucks. It might be an attitude problem, but it might be something else that requires a little empathy.

That's my rant. Back to Biostats again. :p

Eleni
April 18th, 2005, 06:27 AM
(Have you ever seen regular people try the self-serve cashes at Loblaws? They are so sure they can do better than "those friggen slow cashiers". It's so funny to watch them SUCK at being a cashier. The pressure!! Mr Business Man In A Hurry needs help from the help desk for every item because he just doesn't get it. Ms I Shop All The Time cracks under the pressure, telling the people behind her in line, "I'm so sorry, it's not working properly..." I wonder if they actually learn a lesson from all of it. :p )

LOL i use the self checkouts. however i got someone to show me how it works.
i normally go thru that thing with 3 kids in toe and its just easier to do that then try to keep them from grabbing everything in those little checkouts with all the impulse items right there for the kids to beg me for.

as for my pet peeve its bad customer service.
ive worked in customer service before and i know its not easy, but its the nature of things and as a cuatomer if your not going to give me good service im gonna complain and gripe untill i DO get some good service, we work too hard for out money to toss it at someone who could be doing their job better.

I admittedly have high expectations. But for my money I expect what im paying for and nothing less

Eleni

LittleLoves
April 18th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Not about cashiers...

My pet peeve is the people in front of me at the grocery store!

A grocery store cashier must put cold items with cold, cans with cans, bread with bread, boxes with boxes and so on. I hate when people just dump everything on the belt without sorting it at all. It really slows the line down because the cashier has to set aside bags half filled with produce to wait for the rest of the produce at the end of the belt.

When I lay my groceries on the belt, I sort them. I make sure that the cashier will have an easier time, and I want the line to go quickly because, who likes waiting? :rolleyes:

Second pet peeve (new to me) is the guy last night at the dog park who laughed when his dog peed on my dog's face. :mad:

meb999
April 18th, 2005, 08:28 AM
My biggest pet peeve was when I used to waitress -- When people don't say hello

Let me explain. when a table first sits down and opens their menus, I would go up to the table and say 'Hi, my name is Marie-Eve and I'll be your waitress tonight, if you have any questions on the menu, don't be shy to ask' -- about half the time, people wouldn't even look up from their menu. So rude. And then I changed my opening line to inlcude questions such as 'how you doing tonight?' or 'can I get you something to drink before starting off...'etc -- again half the time, nobody at the table even looks up at you. And I was working in a fairly nice restaurant in the old port of Montreal. Come-on people -- you're waitress is a PERSON, look up, make eye contact, don't be so rude!!!

So to everyone out there heading out to a restaurant tonight, make your waitress' day and ask her (or him) how SHE'S doing tonight!!! You'll not only make her day, you'll also get much better service!! :D

chico2
April 18th, 2005, 08:46 AM
I just have one little suggestion :D
I realize there are a lot of unhappy people out there,at least by the looks of things..in grocerystores,on the road etc..

We all have some sort of problems,but why take it out on perfect strangers,a smile can make someones day :D
If someone walks around looking confused,ask if you can help.
I someone cannot reach the top shelf,offer to help(I am tall!)
I often see men with grocery lists,totally out of it,a helpful hint gives him confidence :D
A smile to someone or a friendly word,will make both yours and his/her day and it costs nothing :thumbs up

Schwinn
April 18th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Rudeness REALLY irritates me. Like if I'm standing waiting to hold the door for someone, and they just walk through. I usually just say, "Your welcome!" so they hear it. Or at blockbuster the other night, I'm looking at the movies, and people who just walk in front like you aren't there. "No, excuse ME!". My wife says I've been a little grumpy lately.

People who see a line of cars for 20 kms, but they insist on gunning it up the merge lane until the last second, so they can cut someone off, causing everyone to slam on thier breaks.

I've got a tonne more, but I've been in a bad mood lately, so I'll stop there. Those are the consistant ones.

Eleni
April 18th, 2005, 11:42 AM
last night a kid in my apartment did something that really set me off,

I walk with my 2 yr old and 4 yr old holding hands and the baby in his stroller, and the dog of course on his leash, i went to go thru the security door wich you need a key for, the kid[around 13 yrs old] held the door open for my kids then let it close locking me out with the stroller and dog

he then let my kids onto the elevator without me, luckily my neighbor stopped him and gave him a huge telling off,

i cant imagine how scary it would have been for my kids to be on the elevator without me

eleni

SarahLynn123
April 18th, 2005, 12:43 PM
People who think they are important enough that the whole world needs to stop and deal with their problem.

For example:

We are flying to Vegas with a 30min plane change in Arizona, well it was raining and our flight was delayed 12 hours! So we are patiently sitting and waiting going on 9 hours and this girl comes running in to our terminal saying that she was suppose to have someone pick her up and bring her to this terminal so she could catch her plane and no-one was there. The flight lady apologized and said that her plane left a while ago and she missed it but can get on the next one out. Well she screamed that someone died and she needed to be there immediatly and that the flight lady needs to leave and go onto the runway and get this plane to turn around and come and pick her up!!!! And then she had the nerve to say that no one has ever been in her position before yada yada yada. and we should all do what we can to help her. (she was screaming the whole time!)

Give me a break.

Shamrock
April 18th, 2005, 01:08 PM
[QUOTE=Karin]"New" threads that get repeated like clock work so many times you get tired of repeating yourself by answering them.[/QUOTE

colour me embarrassed :p I misunderstood, Karin.

Trinitie
April 18th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Shamrock -
Time to play the Devil's Advocate for a minute.
I'm one of those people you can't stand using the "moving floors" at airports. I get thrown off balance very easily, so just getting on the blasted things is a HUGE step for me. Walk on one? Not if you don't want me crashing into everything at the end of one when I get off!
I also use my phone to call home, or wherever, to find out alternatives to items I cannot purchase. I'd rather be 100% certain than buy something nobody will eat. Escpecially if I'm not buying it for my consumption alone.

Now, on to my pet peeves:

Tailgating - don't get me started!

Kids who don't get out of the way of my car when I have the right of way. They actually have the nerve to walk slower crossing the street! That sound you hear? What is it? Why it's the sound of an engine accelerating! RUN! :evil:

People who call my house, hear the machine kick in, and then hang up. How am I supposed to return your call if I don't KNOW you called??

Oh, there are SO many more. But I don't have time to write them all down at the moment.

Luvmypit
April 18th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I hate when people signal after I have slammed on my breaks as they turn. What is the point then?
I also hate rude customer service agents. I did retail for 5 years and have the spider veins to prove it. I had bad days and then worse days and I always managed to atleast smile and be polite. I work at a desk now and still have bad days and still am polite and smile. I don't think that people being rude can be justified when you are working in a position that requires you to serve people. Then we all have an excuse not to be nice. Instead of these people dwelling in their own pity get off your butts and get a new job. I can't stand it.
I hate when I order my specially made burger at Mcdonalds, wendys ect... and they get it wrong because the lady behind the cash wants to rush and not listen properly.
I can't stand people who can't no matter what in any circumstances even when you have black and white evidence staring them in their face and they can't admit they are wrong. I don't mind saying sorry or you know what Im wrong. One example would be The Unhonourable Michael Bryant
I also hate seeing 12 -16 year olds at 3 am wandering the streets with their friends. Where are the parents?
I despise people who pick up their little dogs when they see me and my "poodle" coming down the street
I do not like leaf blowers because really your not doing anything but pushing the leaves onto your neighbours or the streets and clogging up the sewers.
Also I hate when people drive slower then the speed limit. My grandma used to get tickets for driving too slow, not to mention a few DUIs but thats another story.
Oh i hate when people stand over my desk at work, or look through the papers on my desk.
Wow I didnt realize I could be so bitter.

glasslass
April 18th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Just one very simple pet peeve. Plastic gallon size jugs that have the inside seam in the handle poorly finished. I've been cut so many times across my fingers by that rough seam!

Prin
April 18th, 2005, 06:50 PM
I've got another one-- people who leave chicken bones in the park. Boo just threw one up on the floor-- I have no idea where he got it or when and I watch him like a hawk!!!

CyberKitten
April 18th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Re: and all of you complaining about cashiers

CK, maybe those people who obviously don't like their jobs have had their share of rude customers for the day and just need a break. Maybe the crabby cashier has been on her feet for 5 hours with no break, even though the law is a max of 2 hours. Maybe a customer just cheated her out of a $20 and it's coming out of her cruddy pay. Maybe a person got yelled at 5 minutes ago and just isn't in a perky mood anymore. Maybe the job just plain sucks. It might be an attitude problem, but it might be something else that requires a little empathy.

I have loads of empathy! And I worked as a cashier as a high school student - it was not the best job but hardly the worst!! Sometimes I felt like he** (This was around the time I was having mega surgeries) - but even with the most annoying person, I was NEVER rude!! And I made it a point not to make people feel like I was doing them a favour by talking to them - as some cashiers had done to me. The fellow I worked for (It was a pharmacy) would call even from home and ask "are you smiling?" He understood customer service (is nw VP of a large drug store chain).

I always made it a point never to work for money - once the bookeeper at the pharmacy got angry with me because I had three checks of pay periods still not cashed or entered into my bank account! My point is you need to enjoy what you do, even if you do need the money!

I agree with Schwinn re rude people. There is absolutely NO excuse for it. I have many bad days - do I take it out on the people I work with, my patients, others? NEVER!!

Not long ago, I was at a WalMart (the same store whose eomployees had given our hospital money and I was there to pick up the money. Those employees were smart AND kind. They created their own group rather than let a huge corp take the credit for the work they did for our hospital. Anyway, I went back in after the ceremony and this cashier had a long gloomy face and a hard time to talk to me. As I left, I smiled at her and said "Have a nice day" (actually it was Bonne Journée because she was French). She never responded. So before you all jump on me for picking on cashiers - I do not mean all of them - I mean the rude ones! And I seem to meet them, sigh!!

Karin
April 18th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I have pet peeves. One that has changed recently was one that everyone here seems to agree with, the strangers we encounter everyday in public.
Until last year I could not leave the house to go shopping or laundry without running into some rude smuck that would ruin my day. Why was I always so high strung?? Going through the aftermath of two serious hurricanes hitting my area brought me back down to earth with a big thud. 9 days without power/water with Frances, 5 with Jeanne. Back to back, two weeks apart.
We stood in lines for hours for ice & water just to get turned away, then a stranger handed me a half melted bag of ice. (turns out he was the manager of the grocery store.) Kentucky Fried Chicken was one of the first to get power back, they had a fresh shipment of food and opened the doors for free meals until the supply ran out. The local area vets opened a free clinic at a feed store, as did the University of Florida. (minor injuries only)
The list is so long. It was a humbling experience long over due.
Smile & strike up a conversation or do a good deed for a stranger sometime.

Oh.....flushing the toilet while talking on the phone with me. Disgusting!

I'm done now.

Shamrock
April 18th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Spitting in public!!!
More than rude - into the realm of the stomach turning. :sick:
It's the number one for me.

Lumypit, I often pick up my poodle when others approach, but ONLY if the approaching dog is off-leash We've had a few unpleasant suprises. I would never do so otherwise, and can understand where this would be ofensive.

On one outing ,THE largest Rottie I have ever seen before - or since- came charging across a field. Though he was friendly (an awesome and magnificient dog) he scared the life out of me from a distance, I quickly grabbed my dog, but when the young guy owner finally sauntered over, he actually started lecturing ME. Said I shouldnt pick up my dog like that,was making it nervous afraid of other dogs,etc.
Glad he cleared THAT up for me. :crazy:
Honestly, I felt like biting him in the ankle myself

TWilson9498
April 18th, 2005, 08:01 PM
I too have a few, but the most annoying is when we are in public and some mother or father smacks, jerks, or yells at a kid who is doing nothing more than being a kid. I mean geesh, when they are the ages of 2-5 what more can you expect from a child, than to be a child? It makes me sick. I once saw a lady pull a belt off the rack of Wal Mart and smack her child who couldn't have been more than 3 across his arms and legs. I had to call the cops on that one, even though the poor lil baby went with the cops and his mom went to jail, all I could think of is what will she do to him when nobody is looking if she is that mean in public.
Secondly is annoying people. You know those really loud stuck up Brittney wanna be's. AHHHH They drive me crazy! I just don't like airheads I think.
Then there comes the lil 12 yr olds around here wearing clothes like they are freaking 25. Makes me sick. All these old dirty men always drooling over little girls who aren't even teens yet.
Then of course there are people who repeatedly have sex, get pregnant, and either abuse, neglect, put up for adoption, or have abortions. Those people make me wanna kill them myself.
Other than that, it's just the people not paying attention when they drive. I don't like cell phones either. They cause WAY too many wrecks!!

But then again, I come home and see my own babies and life is worth living again. They make you smile and forget all the worries and troubles of the world! :)

goldenblaze
April 18th, 2005, 10:17 PM
I wasn't going to to comment but I really really want to. ;)
I worked at A&P for a number of years as a cashier, the pay was very good, we had all benefits aswell. In training we learn how to bag things, like all cold food together, cleaning things in the same bag you all get it. We were told how to give change back to customer, change first Rick C..you are right. Now yes we had some rude customers but there were many that we looked foreward to seeing weekly or daily in some cases. It is a hard job standing and lifting but the cashiers can make it better if they are nice to each person that comes through. Give them a chance first, always look customer and say Hello. i have not worked at A&P for years but I do notice how the cashiers are, I want my cold stuff together, cleaning things together please don't put my bread with can goods. I put it on the belt this way for a reason, don't reach and mix up my things.
It doesn't hurt to say thank you or good bye have a nice day. I believe it would make a big difference for everyone.
Only my opinion :)

Prin
April 19th, 2005, 12:04 AM
I totally agree with separating the groceries up on the belt-- except at Costco. If you put the 4 bags of milk together with the gigantic bottles of juice, they will all end up in the same box. I was alone one day and I asked the box-guy to lift the box out of the basket. He couldn't do it. I said, "How do you expect me to get that into my car and up the stairs to my apartment?" (I probably could have anyway- I believe you can lift anything as long as you don't try to guess how much it weighs...)

CyberKitten
April 19th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Re: I probably could have anyway- I believe you can lift anything as long as you don't try to guess how much it weighs...)

The clerk said that? Is he crazy? Or just not too bright, lol There is no way - unless you want to break your back and as someone with rods in my spine, I would have told him a thing or two - politely of course!! <g> If he thinks anyone can lift anything, he will be a prime candidate for arthritis, esp osteoarthritis later in life.

This reminds me that I am in pain every day of my life - it hurts like crazy if I stand for longer than 10-15 minutes - but I try to see life as an adevnture and look for the good in people and events and that allows me to get through all that and more. And not be so cranky that I cannot share a smile with others.

Personally, I think everyone should park their attitudes at the door of their workplace. (Could help at home too but we do need somewhere to vent, lol)

Prin
April 19th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Actually CK, I'm the "not too bright" who said that. I have man muscles though, so I have never had any trouble lifting anything...

Schwinn
April 19th, 2005, 03:37 PM
As a man, I can honestly say that nothing is too heavy, just awkward...

(and we don't garden, either. We "landscape"...)

CyberKitten
April 19th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Sorry Prin - did not realize you said that. I really wanted to explain how we can badly hurt our backs trying to lift things. Anyone can hurt themselves badly lifting. I cannot lift so I am prob more cautious than others - tho even I do more than I should. But how can a small person lift something that weighs half a ton? Seriously, unless someone works out and is a weight lifter and can do it properly, I honestly do not think it healthy for people to try to lift anything much heavier than they are.

There are more back and arthritic problems among children just because they carry too much stuff (all those backpacks) and if you think about it, the typical person (I know even myself ) carries a cell phone, a PDA, a purse with loonies and toonies. And we have aching backs!

Prin
April 19th, 2005, 09:10 PM
All I carry is my credit card... :) No back problems here!! (debt problems are another story) I don't know why people carry their entire lives with them wherever they go.

Karin
April 19th, 2005, 09:27 PM
All I carry is my credit card... :) No back problems here!! (debt problems are another story) I don't know why people carry their entire lives with them wherever they go.

Good to hear you do not have back problems Prin...if you plan on working with dogs in your career future be prepared to be able to lift a 130lb dog over your head as it is trying to make kibbles out of your face while thrashing around, it goes with the territory. Builds muscle too.

CyberKitten
April 19th, 2005, 10:14 PM
That sounds like some heavy lifting Karin!

Prin, re: "don't know why people carry their entire lives with them wherever they go." Some of us have not much choice. We lead busy lives, made busier by all this tech stuff. Try being on call all week - you need those things. I love my Blackberry actually to be honest. My cell phone I could do without some days but like one GP confessed to me, the only time he is not teathered to the hospital is when he is on a cruise. I've never been on a cruise (The 1st movie my parents ever tok us too was A Night to Remember, lol - and boy do I remember the movie! Doesn't help that the Titanic exhibit in Hfx is most intriging, more reminders). So someone can always find me one way or the other. (I can hide out for mabe a week at my parents in Fla sometimes, lol) I see my PDA not as a fancy organizer but it has my favourite books, is a MP3 player, I can dicate to it and convert from MP3 to text - saving my secretaries time - , I have MS Word, Excel and Access so I can work anywhere - has a small kbd. And it has Freecell and Tetris if I want to relieve stress er waste time while I am on the phone. (I am a pro at multitasking). And I can look up any drug interaction in less than 30 seconds - try doing that in the CPS directory and you are looking at a half hour at a minimum. Then there is email and a browser - rarely use a browser on my PDA since developers are not doing such a hot job of adapting HTML to those screens (just as they are failing horribly at meeting the needs of the disabled. Even disability groups have noncompliant web sites, how bad is THAT!).

So for me it is a lifesaver in so very many ways. Ohhh - I can also write (in my handwriting which is curiously very good but it may have something to do with my mom being a teacher, lol) and convert it into text and save it in MS Word or convert it to Adobe Acrobat or HTML.

I discover a new way to use this wonderful device every day!

Prin
April 20th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Tech devices are fine, but have you seen what people carry in their purses? Stuff that I put in the back of my closet. Stuff that they don't even know is still in there... I remember when my grandmother would switch purses it would take her like a half hour to sort through everything. That is what I meant by "Whole lives"-- including the kitchen sink. :p Maybe I'm just a tomboy at heart...

Bearsmom
April 21st, 2005, 09:36 AM
Crap, my list is plentiful today.

I've worked in customer service. Being polite to people kept me employed, I remembered that every day, I'm still polite to people today.

Pet peeves:

*people who ask me if I'm REALLY a firefighter. Uh, no, I just found this uniform, ran to the nearest fire station, and drove their truck. NO, MY HUSBAND DOESN'T MIND. NO, I DON'T SLEEP WITH THE GUYS I WORK WITH, nor do I want to.

*Tailgaters.

*People who don't realize that under the Highway Traffic Act, you MUST pull out of the fast lane to allow others to pass. The fast lane is NOT for your personal use.

*People who think that because I work in emergency services, that I can answer every single stupid question they come up with.

*What RickC said about the change thing. Coins on bottom, bills on top.

*People who go through the Tim Horton's drive through, and order lunch for 20, 40 bazillion coffees (all mixed differently, of course), THEN when they get to the window, they realize, oh, geez, I'd better pay for this, it's not free, THEN they get their money/wallet out, and want to pay for it all separately. For the love of God, people, go INSIDE and do that.

*People who look at my dogs like they're the most vicious things they've ever seen. I always want to walk past them and yell, "BOO".

*Cancer.

*People who look at my son, and ask, "who's child is that", yeah, I found him along with the fire department uniform, thought I'd keep them both. (Okay, so he doesn't look a thing like me, but I've got the c section scar to prove that he's definitely mine).

*Housebreaking. Kaos is nuts.

Bearsmom
April 21st, 2005, 09:42 AM
More:

*when you go to the hairdresser, ask for a trim, and she hacks off 4 inches of hair. When you leave the shop, you look like Ashlee Simpson, or Joan Jett.

God help me.

Writing4Fun
April 21st, 2005, 09:45 AM
Today's little annoyance - at the age of 3?, having to deal with a honkin' zit right on my cheek. You know, the ones with a pulse of their own. And it's right in a spot where anyone talking to me will be staring right at it. :evil:

Bearsmom
April 21st, 2005, 09:56 AM
I usually get a doozy right between my eyebrows. If my tan is dark enough, I can fake being East Indian.

Seriously? Try putting a dab of toothpaste (Colgate usually works best) on it when you go to bed, the "eye" should be gone by the morning.

Pet peeve:

People who insist on marinating in perfume.

Writing4Fun
April 21st, 2005, 10:16 AM
It's been really annoying me - I can actually see it out of the corner of my eye!! :eek: I know I've been a bad girl, but I've been playing with it ever since it first moved in. So now it's probably too late to put the toothpaste on it. But I'll definitely remember that one for next time (Good Lord, I hope there isn't a "next time"!).

New one, folks: People who come onto this board and post something to the effect of "I know nothing about breeding animals, but I have a male and a female and a bunch of people who think they'd make cute puppies, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Can you tell me how to do it? Oh, and don't try to talk me out of it, because I'll just tell you all you're crazy and do whatever I bloody well want anyway." :evil:

Eleni
April 21st, 2005, 10:45 AM
*People who look at my son, and ask, "who's child is that", yeah, I found him along with the fire department uniform, thought I'd keep them both. (Okay, so he doesn't look a thing like me, but I've got the c section scar to prove that he's definitely mine).

Ive had people ask if my kids are all mine, drives me nuts

I always say as far as i know :P

however its annoying, or when they say you must be busy, I always wanna say yeah too busy to stand here and answer questiosn that ahve obvious answers

Eleni

Beaglemom
April 21st, 2005, 02:13 PM
I can't believe people actually ask if those are your kids! That is not only annoying, but rude IMO!

I have a few pet peeves of my own.

Telemarketers annoy me. But I'm usually very nice to them because I know that they are just doing their job. I did telemarketing for a couple of months and hated it! I got a lot of rude people that yelled at me on the phone! I was only doing my job. I hated that job, it was the only job to this day that actually brought me to tears. I only did it because I absolutely needed the money and they paid well. I quit as soon as I could!

Other pet peeves:

Slurpers - must people slurp their drinks and their soup! It really bugs me.
Sniflers - just get a tissue. I know someone who does this even though there is a box of tissues right beside them! Annoying after a while.
Tailgaters - I have fun with those.

Bearsmom
April 22nd, 2005, 08:53 AM
More:

*People who show up to work deathly ill and spread their cooties everywhere because, they don't want to use up a sick day. Um, what the heck are sick days for?

SarahLynn123
April 22nd, 2005, 09:39 AM
More:

*People who show up to work deathly ill and spread their cooties everywhere because, they don't want to use up a sick day. Um, what the heck are sick days for?

We dont have sick days (Is that even legal?) we have to come in sick and if we cant hack it then we can home. They wonder why so many people are sick all the time. We are crammed in here like sardines so 1 person is sick we are all sick :mad:

Beaglemom
April 22nd, 2005, 11:40 AM
Okay I have one more that really bugs me! Peope who sneeze or cough but don't cover their mouth!

goldenblaze
April 22nd, 2005, 12:52 PM
Talking about people asking about your children I must add this. Something that really bothers me is when someone asks how many kids I have, I say I don't have children they say "oh you don't like kids"

Why must people think this way, because I have no kids I don't like them :( Nothing is further from the truth, without going into alot of detail.. I wanted kids, tried for many years heartbreaking. I live with it but am very thankful for my 2 dogs, I treat them like me kids. :)

Rita
April 22nd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Goldenblaze, I agree with you on this one ... Hubby had 2 kids from a previous marriage so when we got together we made the decision that we would focus on the two he already had and not have any of our own. It's amazing how many people questionned that decision :mad: It was a difficult enough decision to make without family and friends adding pressure.
At this point in our lives we know we made the right choice for us and are enjoying our time with our 2 grandsons :thumbs up

Prin
April 22nd, 2005, 01:55 PM
More:

Bearsmom, get with the program. Sick days are for VACATION. :D

Shamrock
April 22nd, 2005, 02:18 PM
Yes to all of the above!. Amazing how people can be so rude and thoughtless.

Two more that really bug me, if I may:.

Plane passengers seated in front of you who suddenly lower their seats without even bothering to check if you "mind" as a courtesy. Slam! They they are, practically in your lap. Usuallly go right to sleep... start snoring.....

Left turn drivers cutting right in front of you when crossing the street on foot. The WALK signal apparently means "get out of my way" or "run for your life" to these people. grrrr....

Britishvixen21
April 22nd, 2005, 02:33 PM
Here are my pet peeves for what there worth:

People who spit: Why why and why cant you swallow it like the rest of?

Inconsideration: i.e. people who dont give up there seats for elderly, sick, pregnant people.

Ignorance: i.e. people who move to an English / French speaking countries and dont know the language and end up working at the shopping channel as a customer service rep?

Zits: its funny im 25 and ive got TWO with a pulse this morning!

Dumbasses: Do you know that after ive been in canada for two years that there are people who still think its funny to mock my british accent! (it wasnt funny the first 5 times what makes you think that time # 120000000 is actaully going to make me laugh)

I could go on but im going to get fired LOL.

Prin
April 22nd, 2005, 02:58 PM
Dumbasses: Do you know that after ive been in canada for two years that there are people who still think its funny to mock my british accent! (it wasnt funny the first 5 times what makes you think that time # 120000000 is actaully going to make me laugh) Try having a name like Princess. Every single person has something to say. And then after a 5 minute rant, they say "I'll bet you get that a lot"-- well if you're betting on it, why are you doing it. I don't mind when people are surprised, but how many people asked me to tell them the story when I was at WORK. I'm busy and I don't know you. No thanks. When I worked on the phone, I said my name was Joanne. No questions about Joanne.

Another one-- people who cut you off and you honk and THEY give YOU the finger. I'm sorry but you were WRONG.

Sexist old men. I have no respect for sexist old men. Like a banker guy- when I went to shake his hand, he took my hand all limp after giving my boyfriend a decent handshake. Bad first impression and it went downhill from there.

Plane passengers seated in front of you who suddenly lower their seats without even bothering to check if you "mind" as a courtesy. Slam! They they are, practically in your lap. Usuallly go right to sleep... start snoring..... I get knee spasms with these people. If you hit their chair enough, they bugger off.

People who bring dogs with diarrhea or kennel cough to a dog park.
People who don't pick up after their dogs and get the rest of us in trouble.
People who don't vaccinate their dogs becaues they don't believe in it.
People who think their dog acting dominant is a rewardable behavior.
People who pretend to ask for advice when really they just like the sound of their own voice.
People who LITTER. I can't believe people still do that.
People who drive Hummers in TRAFFIC.
When you work on the phone in customer service and you get a French person from Saguenay who wants "to speak to someone of their own kind". I answered "Sorry but all the a**h**** are out to lunch."
People who are racist and don't even know it or are open about it... (One job interview I went to, the boss "warned" me about all the English Jews. I was appauled. I love English Jews. Most of them are my doctors and have been since I was born. They are terrific people. She said they'll stand there and wait for a manager to come and open the cash if you forget their change-- even if it's a penny. I'd wait too. It's not the stores money. It's MINE. Even if it's a penny, it's disrespectful to assume the customer doesn't want it.)

Boo wants me to add "Mommies who don't bring me to the dog park on nice sunny days like this one".. Oh. I guess I have to go. :p

Britishvixen21
April 22nd, 2005, 04:57 PM
LOL Prin, you had some good ones.

Going back to the planes, I hate it when I specifically ask not to be placed near children then out of spite they place me in the bloody nursery!!!

And to go with that parents that let there kids run wild. i.e. during one hellish flight back from London to Toronto I had a little kid behind me kicking my seat the entire way until 3 hours in I told him to sit back, shut the hell up and quit kicking my seat, all the while his Mom sat there watching the movie! (Hello im not a parent what am i doing telling your kids off!!!)

I work in business customer service and what gets me the most is bitchy receptionist, I call to speak a lot with IT Directors regarding Seminars or software solutions, and the receptionist cuts you right off "hes not interested" click ( Oh im sorry miss, I can understand you must have a hard time comming to work everyday as a lousy receptionist when you have a IT degree, Oh you dont have an IT Degree? then how the f*** do you know what im talking about then!!!! )

Sorry its been a really hard week this week!!!

Schwinn
April 22nd, 2005, 06:13 PM
Left turn drivers cutting right in front of you when crossing the street on foot. The WALK signal apparently means "get out of my way" or "run for your life" to these people. grrrr....

If you're in Toronto, and see a BECK cab with a big foot-print in the door, that'd be the idiot who turned right on a red light without stopping and almost hit me on Wednesday. (And I'll tell you what I told my wife. Yes, my foot does hurt, and yes it did make me feel better)

kandy
April 22nd, 2005, 06:37 PM
I work in a college - and was in the registrar's office for quite a while so my biggest pet peeve is:

People who bring their little kids to stand in line for 4 hours on early registration day and then wonder why the kids are screaming and fighting and then they start screaming at the kids.

2nd is: People who bring their kids in the office and proceed to let them go through every drawer in my desk, stuff all the candy in their pockets, smear said candy on everything within reach, dump the paperclips, etc., etc., etc., all the while totally oblivious to everything the kid is doing!

Other than work related, my biggest pet peeves are:
Semi Drivers who try to pass another semi on a big hill - they end up each doing 10 miles an hour and have traffic backed up for miles!

The baggers at our only grocery store who bag the canned goods and the eggs together (and yes, I seperate the stuff on the belt in the order I want it in the bags).

People who make fun of my name (know exactly where you're coming from Prin) - If I had a nickel for everytime I've heard "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker"....Or why every hooker or stripper in every movie you ever see is named Candy.

That's all I can think of right now - but I'm sure I actually have lots more!

Bearsmom
April 22nd, 2005, 07:48 PM
Holy cow, Prin, you made me spit coffee all over my monitor! You're too funny!

People who continually offer their opinion on your hairstyle. Yup, I hate it, but it's going to grow out, back off before I whack you with a fire extinguisher.

Cactus Flower
April 22nd, 2005, 09:40 PM
Ok folks, I've got my shinguards, helmet and eye protection on, and I've come here to proclaim:

I LOVE MY CELLPHONE!!!!!

My cell went down for repair once, and in that time I forgot that there was life before cellphones! Oh what a horrible four days! I'm still suffering the effects of that trauma. I missed it so much. I felt frantic, paranoid and disconnected. I was sure that my son was in dire straits at every moment and could not reach me for help.

I got the phone so that he could reach me, always. But now of course I use it for so much more than that.

I DO talk on the phone while driving, but I either use speakerphone or the headset so both hands are on the wheel at all times.

I HAVE had phone conversations in public places, but I keep my voice down- not only to respect others within an earshot but for my own privacy.

I DO call my son and/or my mother from the grocery store, particularly if I see something they might need/want that isn't on my shopping list. AND I have also been known to call home and ask: "Do we need eggs?", if I FORGOT the list.

I get my money's worth out of my cellphone. And I can't adequately explain how handy it has been. Like when I've had a flat tire, or when my doctor has called to say they have to reschedule me (right before I step into my Jeep to go there), or when my son has needed me, etc etc etc.

No technofear here. I'm a gadget fan, and not ashamed of it. I'm living in the future I imagined as a kid, where I can call my family from ANYWHERE- and not even need a cord! This is too cool. (Just wonder where the flying cars are.....I was sure there'd be flying cars...).

Pet peeve?- Wait staff that calls me and my female friends "You guys". "How you guys doing today?". "Can I get you guys something to drink?". Do we look like guys? Would you say to a table of men "How you gals doin"?

Prin
April 22nd, 2005, 11:27 PM
Uh oh. I'm a "you guys" kinda girl. But I think I would get laughed at up here if I used "gals"...

I DO talk on the phone while driving, but I either use speakerphone or the headset so both hands are on the wheel at all times. It's not the hands on the wheel that is the problem. When a person is in the car with you, they adapt their speech to the obstacles. If you are about to crash, your friend will not be still talking about what kind of shoes she bought or what she did last night, most likely, she'll either be silent or screaming. It's a bit distracting when the person talks through when things are happening. Nobody ever says, "Wait, I have to concentrate for a second".

I make my man pull over when his cell rings, or I answer it and say he's driving. I would rather wait 5 minutes or 2 minutes for him to finish than be on the road with him on the phone.

Have you seen cell phone walkers? If you can't walk with a phone, how can you drive? I suggest everyone who is ok with cell phone driving head out on rollar blades, while talking on your phone. We'll see if you make it home in one piece. And driving is WAY more complicated than that.

Cactus Flower
April 23rd, 2005, 01:12 AM
LOL. If someone talking distracted all of us into a crash, the majority of the nation would be in traction (or worse).

Maybe I'm not understanding your point, but I don't see it as any different than singing along to my blaring stereo or listening to an audio book (which I do often) while driving. Neither of these things are going to pause for me when obstacles need to be avoided.
And I do think that both hands on the wheel are very important (or at least have the other hand AVAILABLE if needed). I've seen people driving down the road with their cellphone pinched between cheek and shoulder, a cigarette in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other while they steer with their WRIST. Not good.

Do you actually know people who can't walk and talk on the cellphone at the same time?

When you have kids, you'll master the art of talking on the phone while walking around the house, cooking supper, doing laundry and wiping runny noses simultaneously ;) :p .

Prin
April 23rd, 2005, 02:07 AM
I have seen people cross the street without looking on cell phones and if you honk, they practically jump out of their skin. They are so involved. I have also seen SOOOO many cell phone drivers who drive terribly. I sit in traffic for nearly 2 hours a day... I've seen it all...

And I don't know about you, but when my Doors are blasting, I can tune them out easily. People, not so much...

CyberKitten
April 23rd, 2005, 02:38 AM
Re: No technofear here. I'm a gadget fan, and not ashamed of it. I'm living in the future I imagined as a kid, where I can call my family from ANYWHERE- and not even need a cord!

Me too! I have always loved tech gadgets, ever since I got my tiny 1st transistor radio when I was barely in elementary school, just LOVED it!! Then, I was given a tape recorder for Christmas a couple yrs later - you know a real tape recorder - pre cassettes, with the ribbon tape that one could tape over. That was so kewl at the time.

Now I have a Pocket PC and a Blackberry and my Pocket PC - tho now a few yrs old - actually is one that serves as an MP3 player and since I can insert a 512 MB card in the SD slot, it plays approx 130 songs which I can listen to while I play Freecell, write a script (the kind that allows someone to buy meds, not JavaScript or VBScript or Perl tho those are more fun!) and lookup the side effects and make sure it does not interfere with other meds a patient might be on. I can check my email on the Blackberry and carry on protracted text messages. My only dismay - and this is NOT a pet peeve tho - is that I thought by now I'd have my Jetpack a la the Jeffersons. I mean, the robots are here tho we need to program them to be like Rosie, ;)

As for cell phones, I hate seeing people talk on them while driving. This morning, I saw someone reading a book while driving - she was in traffic but gheez!! And I am not convinced the no hands sets do not distract- you do have to concentrate on your conversation and it takes your attention off the road. I answer my cell phone only if I stop on the side of the road or if I am a passenger. I do get irked with folks who bring their cell phones into hospitals and expect to be able to use them in a a hospital room or an ICU!! Do they want to cause a heart attack? Why do some ppl just have to violate the rules? The posters instructing no cell phone use are not just there as decorations!

Sometimes I feel like a grade one teacher even with "my" residents. I actually confiscated a cell phone from an eager beaver know it all young resident earlier this year - he had brought it with him when we had brought a child to have an MRI (I needed to see the results immediately - he was going to take pix with his cell phone for a study he is in). I told him even if he did not give it to me, the MRI would prpbably wipe out whatever photos he already had (serves him right!).

But I have to disagree Prin - you take your life in your hands when you talk er hands free. Life is short enough - we do not need to hurry it along!

And it does bug me when someone is carrying on what sounds like a very personal conversation in a public place. Emily Post needs to develop new up to date cyber and techno rules of etiquette. :)

Cactus Flower
April 23rd, 2005, 04:20 AM
And I am not convinced the no hands sets do not distract- you do have to concentrate on your conversation and it takes your attention off the road.

Soooo.....you also don't talk to anyone who is riding with you, right? Since conversation takes your attention off the road.....

You'd be amazed the things that people can do while talking. Why is TALKING being made out to be so consuming? It's really not that distracting. My surgeon recently talked about his trip to Germany, told several funny jokes, and hummed along to the Pink Floyd album he had playing WHILE OPERATING ON MY LEG. I happen to know, because I was epidurally blocked but wide awake for the entire procedure. And my golly, he did a fine job! Imagine that.

I do get irked with folks who bring their cell phones into hospitals and expect to be able to use them in a a hospital room or an ICU!! Do they want to cause a heart attack? Why do some ppl just have to violate the rules? The posters instructing no cell phone use are not just there as decorations!

Interesting. Our hospital says that the digital service on most cellphones do not interfere with modern hospital equipment. Just the older analogs do. I have been permitted to use my cellphone while visiting in the I.C.U unit, more than once- as were the people who were there with me.

I understand some of the complaints people have about cellphones, such as annoying ringers going off in a nice restaurant with otherwise good ambiance. But I also think that there is a strange and collective hatred for other peoples' cellphone use. Hating cellphones seems to have become a new trend.
I mean really, people are not generally annoyed by being in a public place full of other human beings that are audibly talking to each other- why would they be irritated if one of the people around them is talking into a cellphone? You hear conversations any time you are out in public. Why does it make such a difference whether the person is speaking into a phone or to someone next to them?

People drink beverages, eat, comb their hair, etc. while driving- and none of these activites offer hands-free options. We all do it. Yet many get exceptionally angry if a cellphone-rather than a travel mug- occupies the driver's hand.

People talk to their passengers, talk to their dogs (I know I do), talk to themselves while driving, and nobody complains "That person was talking while driving!". If the same person is talking to someone who exists on the other end of a phone line- everyone gets upset.

I'm afraid this kind of hostility doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Prin
April 23rd, 2005, 08:33 PM
Yes but you alter it for near accidents-- Do you keep singing to pink floyd when you really need to concentrate? Most people stop singing for the parts of driving that require more thinking. Maybe in the desert, since the only road is a straight one, it's not as bad as up here in the hills and curvy roads :p . :D

I have to admit though, (though I really shouldn't) that when I was driving home from BC, I wanted to fix myself up before getting home, so I actually shaved in the car while driving through the prairies (with my foot on the dash)... It was stupid in hindsight but at the time, after driving 30 hours, I felt like driving was natural. Almost like after driving so long, the car could do it all on it's own... :evil: I guess I can't really be a poster girl for approriate behavior in a car... I also study in the car in gridlock... Only when we're not moving for a long time though.

Bearsmom
April 23rd, 2005, 08:44 PM
I'm one of those extremely uncoordinated people who have to pull off the road if it's something vital that needs to be discussed.

Last cell phone conversation I had was with my husband who was in the ER with our son (who had taken a flying leap off the front porch, only to discover that the snow is gone, big faceplant, poor kid) , I realized halfway through the conversation that I had NO idea what colour the lights were at any of the intersections, nor did I remember about a 10 km stretch of roadway. I'm much better off staying off the phone, and the public is much safer, too.

I cannot imagine walking while talking on a phone, I'm liable to get seriously hurt.

twinmommy
April 23rd, 2005, 09:05 PM
Guilty as charged!! I'm a cellphone/driver talker. And the car is stick shift. And I'm usually nursing a coffee.

thank god I don't smoke anymore(4 years!!) I'd have to hold something with my toes!!

Karin
April 23rd, 2005, 09:13 PM
Chiming in here, it has been a long day...week.

In Florida, it is illegal to drive and talk on a cell phone. Too many children being killed by motorist's breezing through bus stops while gabbing brought this law on, for good reasons. If you must talk, PULL OVER! Geez....I can't drive myself while on the phone..and I pride myself on muti-tasking.

Another peeve. I have wanted to say this for a very long time. People who refer to spaying/neutering as "fixing". Going to have their dog/cat fixed....Good grief, they are not broke. "Alter" is even a better word. For a small three letter word, "fix" is big. There is nothing wrong with saying words like sexually altering and spay/neuter or removing the uterus & ovaries or the testicles. Nothing wrong here, nothing was broke.

twinmommy
April 23rd, 2005, 09:27 PM
yeh. Part of me agrees with you, and the other part says--who cares even if they want to call it "whollygagging" just have it DONE, you know??!!

another peeve is people who call their animals "it" after they've been altered.

Would we do that to someone post-hysterectomy, or post-vasectomy?? :eek: Good god no!!!

CyberKitten
April 23rd, 2005, 09:33 PM
Re: "Our hospital says that the digital service on most cellphones do not interfere with modern hospital equipment. Just the older analogs do. I have been permitted to use my cellphone while visiting in the I.C.U unit, more than once- as were the people who were there with me."

The operative term there is "most" and can I as a doctor ask every visitor to see their phone and examine it? Even our scurity ppl do not have time for that. I do use my cell phone is certain parts of the hospital - board rooms, offices, auditorium, classrooms - well you get the idea. I would not allow you to use your cell phone in any ICU in our hospital no matter what kind of phone you have. And we have great equipment but every hospital has a mishmash of equipment - new, old but updated or repaired. Maybe nothing will happen and obviously, nothing did during your visit - it also depends on what equipment that patient had. Not every patient is on a heart monitor for ex - was it a cardiac ICU? Or just a post op ICU? Or a PICU? Or a NICU? No two patients require the same equiopment. Anyway - Our board is super cautious.

And yes, I talk in the car but on a cell phone, the conversation is usually more intense - I mean I do not talk on my cell phone just for the fun of it. It is to discuss something important abd I need to concentrate. In a car, one tends not to get into intense discussions and that is often when accidents occur. (Don't ask me why I know that?)

I base my concerns about cell phone on studies and not just my personal info tho that too would give me pause. I am on a committee of the CMA (Cdn Med Society) tjhat promotes safety and just like seat belts, no phone use in a moving car by the driver saves lives! There are now many studies that demonstrate this.

Anyway - I love my cell phone but I use it only when necessary. I just do not need to hear ppl on theirs all the time talking about some personal matter. I guess I see a specific role for them tho I do realize more and more ppl use them as a primary phone. They just do not do it in the middle of a public place - I hope!

Notes:

1. The Canadian Medical Association, at its 1999 annual meeting, passed a resolution urging their members to lobby governments to ban the use of cellular phones in motor vehicles.

2. Policy of Cdn Hospital Association

Be aware that EMI can cause steady, momentary, or intermittent disruption of the performance of medical devices.

Follow the recommendations of the device manufacturer for avoiding EMI.
Purchase equipment that conforms to EMC standards.

Consider preventing known sources of interference (e.g., cellular phones, hand-held transceivers) from coming too close to patient monitors and other sensitive electronic medical devices.

When an EMI problem is suspected, contact the device manufacturer for assistance. Local clinical engineers may also be able to assist in identifying and correcting the problem.

Report device problems to Health Canada's MedWatch Program and note if the problem is believed to be linked to interference from a recognizable source of EM energy in the vicinity.

CyberKitten
April 23rd, 2005, 09:45 PM
Driven to distraction: cellular phones and traffic accidents

Driver-education courses conducted in the 1970s required the audience of prospective drivers to watch a film that placed the viewer behind the wheel of a car for a simulated drive through a generic city. Five minutes into the film most members of the audience (especially those whose life expectancy was 75, not 81) noticed a pretty, blonde woman enter their right peripheral visual field. Seconds later there was a screech, a crunch and a virtual jolt. The take-home message: driver distraction leads to driver error and collision. Keep your hands on the wheel, your eyes on the road and your mind on the drive.

So, the question now arises, does talking on a cellular telephone while driving lead to accidents? It's an important question: the rate of new cell phone subscriptions in the United States now exceeds the nation's birth rate.1 An estimated 15% of drivers in Toronto have cell phones in their cars;2 this jumps to 38% in Finland,3 where, when surveyed, 42% of such drivers considered themselves to have increased their risk of a crash at some time while using a phone in the car, with 25% reporting a decrease in their attention to the road and other traffic while on the phone.3

With statistics such as these, the question of safe driving and cell phone use is unambiguous for some regulatory bodies. Brazil, Australia, Israel and Portugal have established laws against using a cell phone while driving, basing their decision on public opinion and extrapolations from driver-simulation studies. Other countries are less decisive, deferring to science rather than to opinion.

This is a tricky question for science to answer and an easy one for glib critics and for supporters of the telecom industry to attack (see page 1581). In this issue Donald Redelmeier and Robert Tibshirani report on one of the more convincing studies conducted to date. They used a case–crossover method to look at the cellular telephone billing records of drivers who had had accidents to compare their phone behaviour immediately before the time of the accident with their phone behaviour during a comparable time period on a day preceding the accident. The risk of having a collision when using a cell phone was 4 times higher than when the cell phone was not being used.1 Similarly, a small case–control study comparing the cell phone use of 100 randomly selected drivers (mainly men) who had been involved in a motor vehicle accident with that of 100 controls who had not been in an accident demonstrated that cell phone use for more than 50 minutes a month compared with cell phone use of 50 minutes or less a month statistically increased the risk of having an accident 4-fold.4

Drivers who fail to exercise good judgement must be regulated to do so, for cell phones are just the beginning. Computers, fax machines and DVD screens are also starting to clamor for dashboard space. We need to regulate the use of cell phones and other driver-distracting devices. This is a no-brainer.

References

Redelmeier DA, Tibshirani RJ. Association between cellular-telephone calls and motor vehicle collisions. N Engl J Med 1997;336:453-8.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
Min ST, Redelmeier DA. Car phones and car crashes: an ecologic analysis. Can J Public Health 1998;89:157-61.[Medline]
Lamble D, Kauranen T, Laakso M, Summala H. Cognitive load and detection thresholds in car following situations: safety implications for using mobile (cellular) telephones while driving. Accid Anal Prev 1999;31:617-23.
Violanti JM, Marshall JR. Cellular phones and traffic accidents: an epidemiological approach. Accid Anal Prev 1996;28:265-70.[Medline]

Cactus Flower
April 23rd, 2005, 11:41 PM
It would be interesting to see the reach of such a ban, being that many professions- including police- need to talk on some kind of device while driving, and have done so for many years.

But that is neither here nor there.

As you probably know, where there is a statistical study, there is another to counter it. I'll spare our readers a long pasted statistical diatribe about handsfree cellphone use being safe. Such data means little to me on either side of the debate, anyway.

With respect, I have no desire to argue the matter. I could cite my field and board memberships as well, but have no need to. What would it matter, anyway? People can come on here and claim to be anything and anyone- you and I included. It won't necessarily lend weight to our argument.

This has been an enjoyable thread and I'm sure no one wants to see it hijacked by a cellphone-use argument. I find everyone's opinion interesting, whether they coincide with mine or not. I hope we can move on from here.

Now, does anyone have a "pet peeve" about public toilets?.....ever been in a public washroom, and the lady in the stall next to you is allowing her child to peer at you from under the partition? :eek:

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 12:08 AM
I laughed when the newspaper said that companies were spending a fortune for "auto-flush" toilets and they said the reason was that the handles kept breaking because of women flushing with their feet. They said "Who the heck flushes with their feet?" I think the author was the only person I know who doesn't flush a public toilet with their feet. :p

Pet peeve: When you hear the toilet flush, the stall open and then the bathroom door open. NO SINK. Apparently only 1/4 of women wash their hands after going. :yuck:

Or women who take an ETERNITY when they know there is a line. I don't know what they do in there, maybe take a nap or something, but come ON! :) (she said with knees crossed...)

CyberKitten
April 24th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Re: I could cite my field and board memberships as well, but have no need to. What would it matter, anyway?

I am sorry if I offended you but citing one of the committees I am on - I merely used it to point out why I feel the way I do - and as strongly. I might feel the same way in any case but I cannot explain why I have come to my conclusions any other way. I never criticize others for their professions or for going on about something that may have been precviously unknown or of little interest to me. I like to learn as much as I can about people and I usually find if I have an open mind that when I read something that I previusly disgreed with and an individual outlines why they have come to that conclusion, I understand and I learn something.

And I do not want to hijack the thread but maybe because I am tired, cranky and VERY upset and worried about my friend who is meowmy to the lovable sphynexes - your remark hurt my feelings. If anything, I am too honest on this forum - I wear my emotions on my sleeve er keyboard and I do not care what people do for a living. It just helps to put some things in perspective when you are making a point.

If you don't like my profession or me, just ignore me. You don't have to rude or nasty about it! I was certainly not rude to you. I tend to use studies to explain things - it's what I know. And I disagree- not all studies are equal. Nor are they all unbiased - it often depends who funds them. So I question any study before I cite it.

I can't say I've ever had a child peer at me in a public washroom. My pet peeve about them are the dirty ones. Or the automatic driers (not sure WAHT they are called, lol) when a disposable paper towel would be much more sanitary. All the drier does is spew the germs anyone might have around the room! Ewwwwwww!!

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 12:58 AM
I don't think she was trying to be rude, CK... It's just that a pet peeve thread turned into a cellphone debate, and those usually get as resolved as abortion debates...

Safyre
April 24th, 2005, 01:06 AM
washroom pet peeve : seeing an able bodied person using the handi cap stall
while someone in a wheel chair waits.
ARGH.

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 01:15 AM
I have actually never seen a person in a wheel chair in a public bathroom. At my school, there are separate bathrooms for them as well as stalls in the regular ones. I think they would rather use the other ones... Less nastyness...

I hate the blowers too. What a waste of energy those are!!

Another pet peeve I have is texture inconsistencies in food. You know when you bite into something soft and half way through chewing it, you crunch on something that is not supposed to be there? Like an eggshell, or a nutshell, or a piece of glass!! :mad:

Stewart
April 24th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Hi ! my peeve nowadays is the use of french words to try to fashion up the English language words like genre ( dont know or care if its spelling is correct ) but when people use these phrases I dont nod and carry on the convo I ask for the meaning in plain English please . I dont know if happens over there but its going on over here more and more ;)

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 01:37 AM
When I was in Ireland, there was a resaurant that had a menu in bad French. My co-worker was French and she offered to correct the menu for a latte and they refused. Bad French and ignorant too!!

chico2
April 24th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Stewart,to make you feel better,in France they are using a whole lot of English words...the world is shrinking,languages intermixing.
"Genre"is an international word,french is often used in the artscommunity..
The English language is being butchered nowadays anyways,I often do not understand people even if they speak English :D

twinmommy
April 24th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Those members who don't live in Qc might not appreciate this one...but how bout the reverse?? English "slanged" into French...a quebec specialty!!

was at the garage recently to understand "mon coil spring ete phocke" :rolleyes: guess i don't even need to translate!!!lol

chico2
April 24th, 2005, 08:48 AM
TM,my husband is from France and of course speaks French,not to offend anyone from Quebec,but he often cringes in the way"his"language is used... :p
I remember an incident in a restaurant in Montreal,where he missunderstood the waitress and he said to her"It must be because of your accent!"and she just about slapped him :D :D
Many english words are used,just pronounced the French way...one example we heard was "Les Brakes"....no such word in french,but that's ok...we still love Quebec!!!

Eleni
April 24th, 2005, 11:19 AM
people stating the obvious.

I called my mom yestuday asking her what I should do about Hives.

I broke out in awful hives that I think are stress.

she asked me, do they itch?
aw come on mom would i be concerned about the hives if they diddnt drive me nuts LOL

Eleni

Writing4Fun
April 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM
LOL @ Chico2! Yeah, I can imagine that didn't go over too well. :p

And LOL @ Twinmommy! I had a French teacher in 8th grade who was from Haiti. He absolutely abhorred the use of any "anglicisms" and spent a better part of the year correcting our use of them. Heaven forbid you ever told this man that your were eating a sandwich of "beurre de peanut"! :crazy:

CyberKitten
April 24th, 2005, 04:49 PM
I am English (well Irish heritage- there IS a difference, lol) - but attended French elementary school and then switched to Junior High in English and I can tell an Anglicism in French but it does not bother me like it does some Francophones I know. (It does seem to be judging one's bilingualism unfairly tho - if somoene makes the effort to speak another language, it should be accepted and not criticized).

I rather like the use of French phrases and words in English and vice versa - no one in our global village can claim to be a lingistic snob. I live in a bilingual community and some people simply use both languages in speaking as a matter of course. I have heard my dad as I was gowing up use both languages in one sentance so I guess it comes naturally. Now, if someone does it to show off, that irks me but most people I know simply use both French and English together bec it is what they know. Even in Florida, more Spanish phrases are creeping into English - often thru food and recipes and then at school. I think that's kwl actually!

chico2
April 24th, 2005, 04:53 PM
CK,I too think it's kewl :D I always loved languages,in school in Sweden we had to learn,English,French and German and nobody complained,,after all.how far do you get speaking Swedish :D I can translate all the little signs at IKEA for a friend of mine :D

Writing4Fun
April 24th, 2005, 05:00 PM
You two are too funny! I think it's kewl too. :D My parents wanted to "integrate" when they came over from the old country, so they only spoke to us in English and I regret it greatly. My oral French is good, but you can tell I'm an Anglophone (my written French is abysmal). My Italian is all but non-existent. :sad: My cousins grew up speaking English, French and Italian and usually used all three in one sentence. We laughed at them back then, but I now envy them their multilingualism. I agree, CK. On this shrinking planet of ours, we need to learn to communicate with one-another.

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 05:18 PM
It's just a language. I don't get the conflict. They're both latin languages and most of the root words are the same...

Cactus Flower
April 24th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Where I live is largely Navajo reservation. The rest of the population are mainly Anglo and Hispanic. Talk about a mix. Lots of Spanish mixed in with English, and some people say "hello" or "yes" in Navajo.

When I lived on the reservation, I used to think it was cute to hear a conversation in Navajo, with an occasional English word mixed in. Then it was explained to me that there was no Navajo word for whatever it was, and that's why they used the English word.

On the Navajo radio station, you hear an advertisement, a long series of Navajo sentences with "Chrysler Auto" popping up now and then. This cracks me up, for some reason. Same with the Hispanic station, of course.

All of this is a sign of the times, I think.

Prin
April 24th, 2005, 08:00 PM
I know what you mean- When I was in Ireland, I tried watching the gaelic version of MTV... It was all gaelic except the manes of the albums or the names of the singers...

Karin
April 24th, 2005, 08:07 PM
[QUOTE=CyberKitte

Even in Florida, more Spanish phrases are creeping into English - often thru food and recipes and then at school. I think that's kwl actually![/QUOTE]

Try being a native, living in Florida. Almost two decades ago the state tried to pass spanish as the FIRST language used. We are very lucky this did not pass as a law. 1200 people a day are moving into our state. I hope we can stay afloat at least until I die. I hate what has become of Florida. I use to play on the beaches, now they are "private property". How can you own a beach? One HOA, condoship in s. fla is being sued by a visitor who was bite by a shark while visiting a relative which lived there, if they own the beach, they must also own the shark. Gotta love it..this happened 3 years ago and the case is still in the courts, I hope he wins.

Save the manatee's and the Florida panther too....I fought this fight big time twenty years ago. If you must move here, respect the enviroment, once it's gone, it's gone for good. Every living thing holds a natural place in our lives..a link in the chain.

CyberKitten
April 24th, 2005, 08:15 PM
My parents live in Florida actually - in the winter - and I guess their experience of growing up, living and working in NB - where we have two official languages (English and French) probably gives them a different experience than you re the language.

I do agree about the environment. No one should own a beach but even here you can own beachfront property. It seems rare to meet someone who actually is from Florida living there - too much growth is not a good thing either. Think of all the habitats being wiped out, sigh!!

Writing4Fun
April 24th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Save the manatee's and the Florida panther too....I fought this fight big time twenty years ago. If you must move here, respect the enviroment, once it's gone, it's gone for good. Every living thing holds a natural place in our lives..a link in the chain.
Amen, Karin! :thumbs up

Karin
April 24th, 2005, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=CyberKitten]
It seems rare to meet someone who actually is from Florida living there - too much growth is not a good thing either.

Rare is right. I am a cracker...a true native. I have been referred to as a conch, being raised in the keys.(Marathon)..Only someone born in Key West is truelly a conch.
Natives are few and far between, when we do meet another...it gets goofy.

Almost calls for a bb-q or sumthin'! lol....On a average..I meet another native about once a month..in my own home state. Sad.

Another pet peeve. The mouse house.

Thank you Disney for destroying a big chunk.

Cactus Flower
April 25th, 2005, 12:01 AM
I lived in Florida for nine years (Ft. Myers and Tampa/St.Pete).

Still in touch with friends there....amazed by how they say it has changed/grown.

Stewart
April 25th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Stewart,to make you feel better,in France they are using a whole lot of English words...the world is shrinking,languages intermixing.
"Genre"is an international word,french is often used in the artscommunity..
The English language is being butchered nowadays anyways,I often do not understand people even if they speak English :D

chico ! The county in England that I have been born and bred in has its own country dialect,Now when in conversation with people I know and those I dont,But I hear speaking in dialect then I use it,To people I dont recognise or speak with a different accent I do my best to use proper English pronunciation .Now French is ok for the French and If I ever encounter French speaking people then I do my best to communicate if I can with the very minimal French I know from school(Usually driving directions for lost lorry drivers etc)But no ! I refuse to conceed to this arty world use of words and I dont feel it flatters anybodys native tounge useing it this way ;) Learn a language properly and use it when and where necessary but dont chop and change in an attemp to impress as most do when useing these words phrases etc ;)

Britishvixen21
April 25th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Being an expat, I know about Englands county languages. Im from Essex originally so we have a lot of influences from the cockney slang, however I lived in Derbyshire for two years and thats a whole different kettle of fish, But you know whats cool. Now im here in Canada I can call people a wanker and they have no idea what im talking about LOL. Stewart do you remember 'Only Fools and Horses' when Del boy used to use silly french to sound intelligent? LMFAO I miss that show.
You know what used to peeve my freind who was from Quebec, when people used to say "excuse my French" after swearing.

Writing4Fun
April 25th, 2005, 11:17 AM
But you know whats cool. Now im here in Canada I can call people a wanker and they have no idea what im talking about LOL.
LOL BritishVixen! I'd be careful if I were you. I remember riding the Go train home one day with a bunch of buddies. The ladies in the next seat were chattering in Italian about the guys I was with (because they were being ... well ... guys). So I went ahead and translated for them - very loudly. :D :crazy:

Cinnabear
April 25th, 2005, 12:32 PM
My pet peeve is parents that should discipline their kids and not let them get away with it. To not allow their child to phone mine, knowing they're in hot water. :mad: Now to subscribe for call screen and call gate. This just irks me to no end. Why does it seem like I'm so bad for putting restrictions on my dd?

Bearsmom
April 25th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Doesn't sound like you're being restrictive, it sounds like your parenting! If only more were like you!

NEW PET PEEVE: TRIPPING OVER A 11 WEEK OLD PUPPY, SLAMMING THE TOP OF MY FOOT INTO A METAL PIECE OF A BABY GATE, BREAKING 2 OF MY TOES AND I'M A BRIDESMAID IN A WEDDING THIS WEEKEND, AND PART OF OUR OUTFITS ARE SANDALS!!!

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

Luvmypit
April 25th, 2005, 03:00 PM
I recently lost tooo much weight. Trying to gain it back.... I know I think Im becoming somebodies pet peeve already... but anyhow.....
I constantly hear your too skinny, or oh my god your sooo skinny. Your wasting away. I have gained 10 lbs. since the big weight drop. Still. Oh god your getting skinnier (no im not).
People seem to think as long as your not over weight then its ok to comment on your weight. Well it isn't. Insecurities are just that.

Writing4Fun
April 25th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Oh, Bearsmom! You didn't! :eek: "Ouch" is a mild understatement! Hope you're feeling better soon. Look at the bright side - you'll make a helluva fashion statement at the wedding! :D At least, 10 years down the road, folks will look at those pictures and they'll remember you best of all! :p

Shamrock
April 25th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Luvmypit..lol... yes you could qualify as my pet peeve.. :crazy: .
You know you can never be too rich or too thin, girl! ;)

Since qutting smoking... I have been struggling in the other direction.. and with summer looming I am getting a bit desperate.

But, yes... you are absolutely right. I used to be extemely thin.. and became very tired of people "ordering" me to gain weight.. eat something, etc etc.
No one would ever dream of saying" Look at you - lose some weight! In reverse apparently, its ok though to give unsolicited advice on your appearance.

Another thing that bugs me?. Acquaintances/co-workers etc.announcing to you with in a clear condesending tone... "You look tired today. Are you ok?"
I always wonder what they expect you to say?
Oh, thanks for pointing that out. Felt fine until just now, oddly enough." :evil:

Bearsmom.. ouch is right! Sorry about your mishap! Its Murphy's law, isnt it!

Luvmypit
April 25th, 2005, 04:10 PM
"You look tired today. Are you ok?"
I always wonder what they expect you to say?
Oh, thanks for pointing that out. Felt fine until just now, oddly enough." :evil:

Oh god Ive been there. I hate that. i didnt know I looked bad today but thank you for letting me know...lol

chico2
April 25th, 2005, 04:32 PM
I just had one,Telemarketers who don't speak English very well :evil:
I realize they are trying to make a living and I am NEVER rude,but it's embarassing to ask 15 times what they are talking about :confused:
Usually I don't answer,have caller ID...but sometimes I get caught :evil:

kandy
April 25th, 2005, 04:52 PM
NEW PET PEEVE: TRIPPING OVER A 11 WEEK OLD PUPPY, SLAMMING THE TOP OF MY FOOT INTO A METAL PIECE OF A BABY GATE, BREAKING 2 OF MY TOES AND I'M A BRIDESMAID IN A WEDDING THIS WEEKEND, AND PART OF OUR OUTFITS ARE SANDALS!!!

I'm sorry, but I am laughing! I broke my toe last year because I was glaring at my husband and not watching where I was walking! LOL He had gotten up early and was on the computer, and the room where the computer sits is right next to the bedroom. I could hear him in there, click-click-clickety-click and I couldn't sleep anymore. When I got up to walk through that room on my way to the bathroom, I was giving him my most evil look!! Smacked my toe into the cedar chest really hard. Broke the toe - it bruised halfway up my foot on the top and the bottom and swelled up to about 6 times its normal size. The bad thing was, my husband never even knew I was giving him a dirty look! :mad:

nymph
April 25th, 2005, 04:55 PM
I hate people who put me on speaker phone without telling me about it: I skipped a few could-be embarrassing moments.

CyberKitten
April 25th, 2005, 08:44 PM
My family used to always be after me to gain weight and my sister used to tell me I needed to drink at the end f a meal so I'd eat more during it. Now she wears size 2 - I did not kow there WAS a size 2 till recently, lol

I am frustrated by people in service industries who speak neither English nor French well. (telemarketers, the Pearson airport in TO come to mind). At least at the airport, one can resort to sign language - can't do that on the phone. I too know they need to earn a living but they need to take language classes first!

Prin
April 25th, 2005, 11:33 PM
I recently lost tooo much weight. Trying to gain it back.... I know I think Im becoming somebodies pet peeve already... but anyhow.....
I constantly hear your too skinny, or oh my god your sooo skinny. Your wasting away. I have gained 10 lbs. since the big weight drop. Still. Oh god your getting skinnier (no im not).
People seem to think as long as your not over weight then its ok to comment on your weight. Well it isn't. Insecurities are just that.
My brother lives with the same criticisms-- he's a vegan so he is VERY thin. He just tells people, "I'm fine with my body , are you fine with yours?" :evil:

greaterdane
April 25th, 2005, 11:43 PM
I have many pet peeves, but totally relate to the weight thing, except people dont tell me to lose weight, and sometimes I wish they did, its that kind of motivation that makes me lose weight. Apparently I am normal sized, especially for 5'9, but when I leave for my cruise on Friday and have to get in a bathing suit on Saturday, I wont be feeling very normal sized then. Plus I am going with my mom who did Dr.Bernsteins, she looks awesome now, and my skinny little gramma is going to, who also looks awesome, dosent look a day over 60 and shes in her 80's, I hope I carry her jeans. Anyways, wish me luck luck with all those skinny minnies.

Prin
April 25th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Mommy of 2 bullies, it's not about weight in your case, it's about getting in shape!!! I figure if you do 4 REALLY slow abs a day (like 20 sec each), you'll have a flatter tummy in... well, it's your best hope, lol. Even better is if you have a ball to do them on-- do three with your arms stretched out above your head every day.

The thing people don't realize is that when you do your arms or whatever, you chose whether to tone them or to build muscle by adjusting the reps and the weight-- very few people do this with abs. Most people tone their abs and it takes years to get definition. You gotta up the weight and lower the reps.

(I know this because I studied exercise science and I'm pretty lazy...lol :party: I got my abs in less than a month. I should have an infomercial-- only it wouldn't be too profitable since I'm not selling anything. :rolleyes: )-- Once you have abs, everything else looks good too. :p

greaterdane
April 26th, 2005, 12:00 AM
I will try that Prin, I have the ball and everything. My best work out by far was riding my horses. I was in awesome shape. I had to sell my girls before I came to university. My parents knew I wouldnt have time to ride and do school work. I am done next year and will be looking to buy another horse. I cant wait! Atticus dosent count as a horse lol.

Here is me..http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/lickinlizard/lizonstoney.jpg

Prin
April 26th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Atticus looks HUGE!!! lol. Lucky girl.. :p

greaterdane
April 26th, 2005, 12:13 AM
LoL Atticus is my great dane, thats Stoney or Stone Temple Pilot my TB mare :)

Prin
April 26th, 2005, 12:36 AM
I know, I was trying to be funny... Trying being the key word here... (And then the crowd booed... sigh...) :o

greaterdane
April 26th, 2005, 12:20 PM
It was late, I dont seem to get things when I can barely see the computer screen. Good one Prin :)

Bearsmom
April 26th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Hehehe, I guess the big black toes will detract from the fact that I'm wearing the HUGEST shiny peach satin bridesmaid dress (picture it, folks, the large puffy shoulders, oy, vey, I'm gonna look like a linebacker, a drop waist-yeah, I want that mommy-tummy highlighted even more, and an a$$ bow that scares me). Slap some white sandals on my feet and I'm SURE that'll detract from how I'm already going to look. Yeah, I'm looking forward to THIS wedding.

Pet peeve: Why do certain brides pick the absolute ugliest thing for their bridesmaids to wear?

Writing4Fun
April 26th, 2005, 02:11 PM
http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/happy-rotfl4.gif
I've been in at least a half dozen equally hideous bridesmaids' gowns.

My "favorite" was a mustard yellow dress made of a nylon/spandex type material, spaghetti staps, floor length, skin tight with gathers all the way down both sides and a "mermaid tail", so I looked like a 5' 6" caterpillar in heels. Oh, these are bringing tears to my eyes. We should start another thread and post pictures of the world's worst bridesmaids' dresses!

I think "some brides" do this so they're 100% sure they'll be the best-looking woman in the room. Yet other brides (like me :D ) did it just to piss their bridesmaids off because they were being snotty little b**ches who refused to pick a dress and it was now a month prior to the wedding (they had a year's notice!)! :evil:

Shamrock
April 26th, 2005, 04:19 PM
People who make rude and insulting comments about your dog really irritate me :evil:

Most people find my tiny dog very adorable. As extra- large and extra -small dogs do "stand out", comments pertaining to their size are to be expected.

I dont mind the harmless jokes, and always smile - though I've heard countless times.
My cat is bigger than that.
My dog has bigger toys than him.
How many batteries does he take?
and so on......

"If you dont have anything nice to say".... still applies out in public. Dont HAVE to comment at all. Or at least not in earshot of the dog owner?

Remarks like..." is that a dog or a rat? ( heard this one again last night!) I have heard my dog being compared to a rat a number of times over the years. ( nothing against rats - but this is intended to be insulting)

One sweetheart of a guy even referred to him as a cockroach - then laughed at his "humour" to his friend. Both were "alleged" adults.
A cockroach? Speaking of vermin.. :rolleyes:

Schwinn
April 26th, 2005, 04:22 PM
People who make rude and insulting comments about your dog really irritate me :evil:

Most people find my tiny dog very adorable. As extra- large and extra -small dogs do "stand out", comments pertaining to their size are to be expected.

I dont mind the harmless jokes, and always smile - though I've heard countless times.
My cat is bigger than that.
My dog has bigger toys than him.
How many batteries does he take?
and so on......

"If you dont have anything nice to say".... still applies out in public. Dont HAVE to comment at all. Or at least not in earshot of the dog owner?

Remarks like..." is that a dog or a rat? ( heard this one again last night!) I have heard my dog being compared to a rat a number of times over the years. ( nothing against rats - but this is intended to be insulting)

One sweetheart of a guy even referred to him as a cockroach - then laughed at his "humour" to his friend. Both were "alleged" adults.
A cockroach? Speaking of vermin.. :rolleyes:

I would have asked is friend if that was an idiot or a moron.

Bearsmom
April 26th, 2005, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=Writing4Fun My "favorite" was a mustard yellow dress made of a nylon/spandex type material, spaghetti staps, floor length, skin tight with gathers all the way down both sides and a "mermaid tail", so I looked like a 5' 6" caterpillar in heels. [/QUOTE]

Dear God, that visual was priceless!!!!

My absolute favourite we had to wear was a shiny satin poufy sleeved nasty length big bow SCREAMIN yellow with, get this, a dark green lace overlay over the skirt, with green lace gloves and carrying a FREAKING PARASOL. We started walking up the aisle and you should have SEEN the expressions on the guests' faces.

Needless to say, we all got drunk that night.

Jackie467
April 26th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Shamrock I know what your talking about. Candi is an Italian Greyhound so she is very skinny. Normally inside you can not see her bones but outside in the sunlight you can see the outline of her ribs, backbone, and hips. She is suposed to look that way, if you couldn't see those things in the sunlight then an IG would be considered overwieght. I'm constantly getting comments like "don't you feed her?" "If she was any skinnier she would be dead" "Is she sick?". It gets a little annoying. It's like yes I neglect to feed her that is exactly why she is so happy and won't eat anything you try to hand her (she is trained not to eat things offered to her unless I OK it first). I also get a lot of comments about how she looks like a rat. IGs are one of those breeds where you either like the way they look or you don't. Some people go out of their way to come up to me and tell me how ugly my hairless dog is (most IGs have very fine thin coats and with some colors it kind of looks like they are hairless if you don't look closer). It's just plain rude to do that, I don't know where some of these people learn their manners.

glasslass
April 27th, 2005, 01:02 AM
My mom's neighbor always tells me that her dog is a "real" dog! Insinuating that Den-Den isn't!

Writing4Fun
April 28th, 2005, 02:07 PM
New one! When they put my Boston Creme doughnut into the bag upside down, and then put that bag on top of the piping hot bowl of soup. :evil: Don't mess with my doughnuts, man!

Schwinn
April 28th, 2005, 02:10 PM
People who slurp thier hot drinks (let it cool off!)

(just got out of a meeting listening to that. Made it very hard to sleep)

melanie
April 29th, 2005, 07:10 PM
-people who insist on driving at 80KM in a 100km zone, it friggin kills me, if they cant drive to speed GET OF THE FRIGGIN ROAD, ahhhhhhhh. i reckon you should be fined for driving too slow, its jsut as dangerous as speeding.

(have jsut driven 2000km, those slow drivers just KILL ME.)

-polite sales assistants, look i really dont want to be spoken to, if i have a question the tounge in my head can ask, i hate getting hassled by them, and because their so nice you cant be mean. when they are hassleing me or over nice i jsut leave the store and they lose the sale.

-and ppl who say charlie is fat, that really sucks and half the time its a fat human saying it- pot calling the kettle black. she is not fat, just a really barrel shaped body, its always been like that.

one person once commented about how disgusting it was that i let my dog in the house, they said "if you lie down with dogs you will wake with fleas" i politely replied "as your wife very well knows" ruddy mongrels. :yuck:

Writing4Fun
April 29th, 2005, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=melanieone person once commented about how disgusting it was that i let my dog in the house, they said "if you lie down with dogs you will wake with fleas" i politely replied "as your wife very well knows" ruddy mongrels. :yuck:[/QUOTE]
http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/happy-uplaugh.gif Bwahahahahaha!!!!!http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/happy-rotfl8.gif

Shamrock
April 29th, 2005, 08:31 PM
ROFL, Melanie!! Good one! :crazy: .

A warm weather pet peeve of mine for sure - inconsiderate cyclists!
-In traffic.. darting around, weaving in and out with suden changes -scaring the crap out of you.
-On the sidewalks/ park trails..the ones who come flying up behind you without warning - scaring the crap out of you.( and your dog)

And as one who likes cycling as well - the flip side.
Drivers who seem to deliberately want to scare the crap out of you the cyclist - driving too close, honking when you are doing nothing wrong.
Acting mad at your very presence :mad: ..like you had no business being there.

twinmommy
April 29th, 2005, 09:02 PM
"You look tired today. Are you ok?"

I HATE this one as well!! It's like one step away from saying "gee you look like crap!" :rolleyes:

and the weight thing bugs me too. I 'm not too skinny now, but have been in the past, and people act as if you are not sensible enough to feed yourself. and they'll argue with you the "no you've lost MORE weight!!" (no, NO I haven't!!!) It's really hard not to get mad. :evil: sooo annoying!

melanie
April 30th, 2005, 06:13 PM
ah yes the cyclists, yes they tend to sneak up on us too, it does scare the crap outa me :D but then ever one seems to think they own the roads and not share them, everyone needs a big fat chill pill at times.

and the 'you look tired today/grey/your bags are big under the eyes" well its no ones business but mine, it actually irritates me so much if ppl keep asking wht is wrong etc i just flip out. i am always saying to my mother 'if you ask one more time what is wrong something really will be wrong'.

and those ppl who say 'oh you look terrible today' i have a new trick, when theysay this i just say back 'excuse me what did you say' i will repeat it over and over again, until the person saying it actually hears what they are saying to me and how insulting it is, eg, when i was burnt everyone commented, it is not bad enough having yoruface burnt, not knowing what you will look like, but to have everyone comment and outright stare, that is jsut grose and a good example of the true nature of some human concern, jsut nosey.

to fill in a few years ago (7) i had my face burnt off, a work accident. i had 2nd deg burns all over my face and chest. well since then my skin has changed and i have a few scars and pimples. well how many ppl looked at my initial burns which were very grose and said 'have you tried aloe/butter/creams' i know it was jsut a ploy to get the gossip about me, it makes me soo mad, it was so painful and to have the rubberneckers was worse.. and now, ppl, and i mean often complete strangers, stop and offer stupid advice, it has nothing to do with concern, it is simply based on that nosey gossipy part of us all, jsut imagine children in such a position. grrrrr

do they really think i care, do they really think they are so important that they intrude and offer advice, i get very angry at these ppl and treat them like the idiots they are. :evil: and as you all know im very cheeky, so it can actually be fun at times, esp when im in a mean mood (thats jsut sounds terrible doesnt it :evil: )

PS have healed well, you can see my face on pg 1 of the faces, a bit of makeup and you would never ever know, thanks to the wonderful staff at the Tamworth base hospital and alot of vitamin E. :D

bloody ppl ,ahhh

Bearsmom
May 1st, 2005, 08:53 AM
[QUOTE=twinmommy]I HATE this one as well!! It's like one step away from saying "gee you look like crap!" :rolleyes:

There's an idiot I work with that constantly says that to me. Oh, Kat, you look so exhausted, is everything okay? I used to just reply, that yes, I was fine, until today....here's my response.

"Of COURSE I'm not okay, I have a mother who's dying of cancer, a brother I haven't spoken to in three years, a two year old toddler who's smack in the middle of the terrible twos, a 10 week old puppy who's just nuts, a husband who doesn't pick up after himself, I was a bridesmaid in a peach satin dress last night, and to top it allllll off, I have WICKED p.m.s.!" You should have SEEN him scurry away after THAT diatribe.

Tacky to mention the female thing, but it's the only way this moron gets the point to leave me the hell alone.

Karin
May 1st, 2005, 03:28 PM
[QUOTE=twinmommy]I HATE this one as well!! It's like one step away from saying "gee you look like crap!" :rolleyes:

There's an idiot I work with that constantly says that to me. Oh, Kat, you look so exhausted, is everything okay? I used to just reply, that yes, I was fine, until today....here's my response.

"Of COURSE I'm not okay, I have a mother who's dying of cancer, a brother I haven't spoken to in three years, a two year old toddler who's smack in the middle of the terrible twos, a 10 week old puppy who's just nuts, a husband who doesn't pick up after himself, I was a bridesmaid in a peach satin dress last night, and to top it allllll off, I have WICKED p.m.s.!" You should have SEEN him scurry away after THAT diatribe.

Tacky to mention the female thing, but it's the only way this moron gets the point to leave me the hell alone.

I can totally relate to this. My least favorite questions are "Are you okay?" and "How are you doing?"....only asked by people who already know the answer. I stopped padding the answer long ago and tell it like it is, funny....I'm rarely quized anymore.

I admire your spunk. I have a bumper sticker that reads.."I am out of estrogen, and I have a GUN."

Yesterday my boss and I were discussing my issue's of late, before she left she said "Karin, you really need to stop worrying so much", I replied "Fifty years ago, nothing bothered me so much" and walked away. She thought a second and as she was walking out said.."but you're only 47 years old!

Yup.