Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yelling Kitties

Prin
April 17th, 2005, 01:44 AM
As many of you know, I don't have a cat and I am not too fluent in kitty behavior.

That said, there is a kitty outside yelling. Not in pain or anything, it just sounds like a kind of lonely moaning or calling for a mate or something... Anyone know what this kitty is yelling for? Is it like the bark at specific intervals of a dog when he has been outside for way too long and wants to come in?

We have a ton of free roaming kitties around here (all of whom are so FAT which goes to show that indoor cats are not worse off than outdoor cats...) and it would be nice to be able to distinguish between a cry for help and anything else... If a dog was hurting, I'd be there in a flash, but I know what to listen for...

(by the way, one of the perks of never having had a cat is that I still find the meowing cute- you know when they are meowing to get you to do something all soft and sucky-uppy? Apparently people say it gets annoying when you hear it all the time...)

Eleni
April 17th, 2005, 06:18 AM
its in heat id think

cats are very vocal when they are in heat

chico2
April 17th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Or it could be an unaltered male looking for that female he can sniff in the air :D Prin,I assume you have seen the cat and know he's not wounded.
To me a"screaming"cat is a bone-chilling sound....meowing is just cute,unless it comes from my friends 19yr old Siamese...boy,is she loud.

Safyre
April 17th, 2005, 09:51 AM
yeah, i'm thinking the cat is in heat .... they tend to howl when in heat

Cactus Flower
April 17th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Sounds like a Montreal mating call to me. Better lock your doors :p .

KIDDING!!!!!

Maybe they're so fat because they're pregnant already.....

Beetlecat
April 17th, 2005, 10:25 AM
IME, the only time a cat is very vocal (apart from meowing for food or something (which is actually a learned rather than inate behaviour)) is when it wants a mate.

Since they are decended from solitary hunters, if a cat is in pain, it'll just get very quiet and try to make itself inconspicuous. Dogs yelp and howl to let their pack members know they're in pain. With no pack, if a wild cat did the same, it'd simply be sounding a dinner bell to nearby predators.

Prin
April 17th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Thanks, guys. The cat wasn't screaming or screeching, it was closer to a howl. It stopped after about a half hour so maybes/he got lucky.. :rolleyes:

CyberKitten
April 17th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Id s/he got lucky and s/he is feral, that means bad luck for some poor kittens if no one takes in the poor cat! I dare say even if the kitty has a home, it's not good news!

Lucky Rescue
April 17th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Lost cats will sometimes howl. Tomcats howl in a sing-song voice before fighting, and sometimes to call to other toms to fight.

Probably some poor female in heat, who will be having a litter outside.:(

Whatever the reason, it's not good.

2Cats&AGolden
April 17th, 2005, 10:47 PM
I have many outdoor cats in my area and often hear what you describe. It could be a cat in heat but is more likely two cats in a debate over territory....yowling is the precursor to a fight. Ahhh, spring!

pupyluv668
April 17th, 2005, 11:05 PM
yeah mating time prin...lol...you should hear them yelling to each other...male begging and female at first refuses.....funny.....lol....

Prin
April 17th, 2005, 11:13 PM
Well, no wonder he gets denied-- he's no Josh Groban...

pupyluv668
April 17th, 2005, 11:16 PM
lol lol lol lol on josh groban...lol..