Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is there a good DEODORIZING dog shampoo?

Dahlia
April 16th, 2005, 04:16 PM
I give Sophie a bath every two weeks, but she gets smelly before the two weeks is up. I'm just using a generic dog shampoo, so is there one that deodorizes? The vet said I shouldn't bathe her more often. I've tried the pet wipes but then she just smells like a stinky dog with perfume on.

Eleni
April 16th, 2005, 05:55 PM
I dont know much about shampoos, but i noticed the same thing with sammy.

but its mostly jsut the dirt that gets on him from going outside, ive found that if i wipe his face and paws with a baby wipe or a wet face cloth a couple times a day it reduces the smellyness that builds up between baths.

Sammy actually loves the wet face cloth i think he must enjoy the coolness of it or something

Eleni

SnowDancer
April 16th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Unless as Eleni suggests the odor is caused by dirt etc., you may be experiencing "eau de Hound Dog" - how I miss it! Our Beagles had the hound dog scent and our mini Dachshunds did a bit - but not nearly to extent that Beagles did. Sophie is also a puppy so you need to watch strength of shampoo and for any possible allergens. You might ask your vet - he/she will likely be selling oatmeal based shampoos.

Safyre
April 16th, 2005, 07:03 PM
That seems to be quite often to be giving your dog a bath.
I've heard multiple suggestions fo time length between baths, sometimes as little as 2 months, others 6 months or more.
Maybe because you are washing soo often, the oils trying to replenish themselves are seeming smelly. I dunno, but that seems like a lot of washing there.

coppperbelle
April 16th, 2005, 07:25 PM
I too think that every two weeks is excessive. Are you bathing her because of the odor or is she dirty? If it is due to odor I would look into the food you are feeding. This may be the cause. :rolleyes:

Dahlia
April 17th, 2005, 06:05 PM
The vet said every two weeks was fine. I bathe her that often mostly because she's black and white and the white on her starts to look dingy. After her bath it's a sparkly white. So do you think I should hold off longer? Dh was commenting today that she smells and it's been exactly 2 wks since her last bath. She's on Nutro Lamb and rice Puppy food so I don't think that should be the problem. It's about the best food available in our area.

Karin
April 17th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Vet Solutions Oatmeal & Aloe shampoo. I use only non soap shampoo and this is one of them. Made by DVM Products.

On another note related: Save a small dish washing plastic soap container and rinse it well. Dilute the pet shampoo and squirt on the pet with the bottle.
Groomer's and vet clinic's alway's dilute the shampoo's, works better, rinse's better, less skin irratition and you save money. You do not have to use it full strength!

Never buy the over the counter cheap stuff, you'll pay for it down the road.

Dahlia
April 17th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks, Karin, I hadn't thought about diluting shampoo in another bottle and pouring it on. I always hate how much shampoo I have to use by the time I'm finished washing her. I will do that. And she goes to the vet next week so I'll see if they have some of that shampoo. I'm sure they will probably have something similar or can at least recommend something.

2Cats&AGolden
April 17th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I would check your dogs ears to make sure the smell isn't coming from there, also her teeth/breath could be contributing to the bad odor. In addition, make sure that your pup's collar gets washed regularly (I just soak mine in dish soap and bit of laundry detergent) to be sure that the smell isn't coming from there. Last but not least food plays a HUGE role in this - my golden is raw fed and doesn't have any doggy smell at all - and she swims at least 2-3 times a week as well! If a fresh food diet isn't your thing, look into a high quality kibble if you aren't already feeding one.

Bathing your dog too often strips the skin of natural oils - try purchasing a waterless shampoo to use between baths.

Good luck!

SnowDancer
April 18th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I agree with 3Cats. And as a final "test", why not get an independent opinion - I would suggest your vet's and any associates at the clinic. Also if you know someone who has a Beagle ask for his/her opinion as well. Just in case it turns out to be puppy hound dog odor, which will turn into adult dog odor. I frankly am very surprised that our Eskie does in fact have little dog odor - one of the few breed characteristics that proved true. And since all of my dogs - hounds and now the Eskie have preferred to sleep with their heads on my pillow - swell - I know the smell! Hopefully it is something easily corrected.

Dahlia
April 18th, 2005, 12:40 PM
It very well could be just a hound smell. We always had beagles growing up - but they were outside dogs so we didn't bathe them that often at all. They smelled but it didn't really matter because they weren't in the house. I'll leave her dirty until I take her to the vet and ask her to smell her. :crazy: I'm sure she'll appreciate that. Last time I took her in she asked how often I bathe her (probably because she was sooo clean) and I said every other week because she smells and she said that was fine. Didn't seem concerned about the fact that she smells.