Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Well guys guess what! LONG POST!

Princesss04
April 15th, 2005, 10:00 PM
We had a death in the church today so I had to go to the funeral home to visit the family. Anyway I was meeting one of my friends after work and we were going to go over together. On the way home I ran over a cat. I know guys I have cried over it all day! :sad: I felt so bad. There was nothing I could do. This cat ran out of the field. Anyway I pulled over walked to check on it. I walk up there and the cat was dead but out came two little kittens out of the field. I was like great. :sad: So I was not about to leave the kittens there. They were way to little. So I drove up the road to the house and knocked on the door. I was all crying. And told the lady what had happened and asked her if that was her cat and these were her kittens. She said no, I was like are you sure because there was no house around there for alittle while. She was like yes, I told her there were two kittens there and I wanted to make sure I was not sure what to do with them. She said I do not care I was not the one that ran over the poor cat! :mad: I was crying my eyes out so I got back in the car and drove to my friends house. So anyway, I have two new kittens. They are in the dogs big cage. I got them a litter box and some food and water and I have a big blanket in there they can lay on. They are so sweet. The are long haired cats. One is black and white and the other one gray and white. They look like they are healthy and they are great around people. I have a feeling they were that ladies cat she just saw this as a way to get rid of them. So they are here and I LOVE them. They are such good cats. The little gray one has a real yucky eye so I am going to have to call the vet. They are trying to eay hard food so I think they must be big enough. The mom had big boobs so she was still nursing them. I am going to try and talk Justin into letting me keep them. LOL This is all I need two more animals. LOL Oh well we will see. Anyway just wanted to let you all know. I will be getting pictures as soon as I can. My friend seems to think they are prolly about five or six weeks old but I am not sure they are little. I hope you all do not think I am a bad person for hitting that cat I did not mean to I promise. You all say a prayer and send me good vibes that Justin will let me keep them. I am going to have to do so MUCH sucking up tonight. LOL :D

Prin
April 15th, 2005, 10:07 PM
I hope you all do not think I am a bad person for hitting that cat I did not mean to I promise. I don't think you're a bad person... I ran over a rabbit and a skunk so far. They will stay with me forever (the rabbit survived though). It is great of you to care for those kitties. I hope all goes well. :grouphug:

CyberKitten
April 15th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I think you need a hug and that you are an angel for bringing home the babies and caring for them. And there was nothing you could have done! This is one of those things that was doomed to happen - and it was a good thing if that cat had to be hit that you were the one. Not everyone would have saved the babies!!
I would not be surprised if the family you went to visit did indeed let that cat out, sigh!! Take care!! :grouphug:

pupyluv668
April 15th, 2005, 10:15 PM
awww...princess its okay....i have ran over a dog too once while i was driving in a very dark and dangerous road...(shortcut to home) guess i was sacred to be there in the first place but i was just flying coz i didnt want to slow down incase someone might want to stop me and do me harm...anyways, i saw 2 dogs playing quite some distance away and so i was praying...please run to the sides...i blew my horn...and blew my horn.....they ran to the side of the road...but guess what, the other dog decided to run back to the middle of the road just in time when my car passed......oh i just felt i was a murderer....i cried and cried for days.....i can't stop too coz it is waaaay to scary once your in the countryside....no lights...nothing....took me a long time to get over it.....i had to call my boyfriend overseas...( now my husband) long distance just to cry on the phone.....

you're those kitties saviour...it was meant to be that you found them....the mother...well that was her fate and we pray for her poor soul, you didnt mean it princess....well if it was the old lady's cat....some peopl dont have the heart to care what will happen to their pets....once they're tired of it....they don't care.....they think they're just animals.....but we don't and that's why we're here....because WE CARE....you did good....HUGS!!

Princesss04
April 15th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks guys that makes me feel better. I am not sure if they are able to eat hard food or not. I gave them a little mik. I know that is not good for them but I am not sure what to do and at this hour. I gave it to them in a eye dropper and they both ate it. They are using the litter box good. Meater and Chino seem to be okay with them. The black and white one is not sure if it likes the dogs yet but we will get there.

Hubby, is home and he has not killed me or yelled at me yet so I guess that is good. LOL :D

CyberKitten
April 16th, 2005, 04:55 AM
If you do not have KMR or kitten glop (I was assuming previously you were an old hand at kitten raising - tho many of us forget the basics of most things if we do not do it often), you can make some or heat evaporated milk with a little sugar- not the sucrose kind (sort of a milk-glucose mixture). Here are some recipes:

Recipe One:

8 ounces homogenized whole milk
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon salad oil
1 drop liquid pediatric vitamins (optional)

Mix well and warm before using. Keep refrigerated.

Recipe Two

1 part boiled water to 5 parts evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon bone meal per 16 oz fluid

Mix well, refrigerate, warm before using .

Recipe 3

1 can Evaporated Milk
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons Karo syrup

All three mixed well and kept in tightly sealed jar in fridge.
At feeding time mix 1/2 of the estimated feeding amount with:
Equal amount of boiling water
(once a day mix 1 drop of human infant liquid vitamins in each kitties formula)

If constipation occurrs: add 1 drop of vegetable oil to each kitties formula no more than once daily till problem is eased. Test temperature before feeding (the combination of boiling water and chilled formula should be just about right).

If you are desperate and have access to or have a human baby, double the formula and that will do till you can get some KMR.

Some people use a t-shirt, sweatshirt, or apron and slip it on before feeding and removing it afterwards. Some viruses can live on clothing, and this can help prevent cross-contamination to and from other animals in the house. Kitten positioning for feeding is very important; this is where the crucial surrogate-mom bonding happens. Different people have different "styles" of bottle-feeding. Kittens are most comfortable in a position similar to the position they'd be in if they were nursing from a momcat. One position is simply to place the kitten on its stomach on a towel or cloth on which it can cling; it will "knead" its paws on instinct. You can also sit cross-legged on the floor with the kitten inside your legs, and let the kitten place its paws on your leg as it nurses. Remember to keep a towel on your lap for this-- and use a fresh, clean towel each day. (Mine used to knead on thee towel and later my "kitten feeding clothes".

Remember if they are not using a litter box, you also need to help them eliminate. Their mama normally does it. After each feeding, gently rub the kitten on its low abdomen, as well as the genitals and rectum, with a cotton ball, cotton pad, or tissues moistened with warm water. Make sure you rub only enough to get them to eliminate; overstimulation will irritate the area. Keep an eye out for chafing and lingering dirt.

If these guys are five weeks tho, they may know how to do it on their own with some supervision. Set up a litter box and show them how to do it with their little paws. Tho 5 wks tends to be the age they start learning all about how to "do it" all by themselves. You prob know not to use clumping litter (I just recently read in a vet journal that some are not recommending NO clumping litter even for cats of any age. The logic being the litter sticks to their paws and they might accidentally end up with some in their tummies and if it makes such mounds in the box, what will it do to a fragile and small digestive system? I've never liked it but had not thought of that specific concern - did worry about it expanding in kittens if they eat it but had not considered any cat picking it up.

Here is a page on kittens at five weeks:
http://www.kitten-rescue.com/four_to_five_weeks.html

You will need to burp the kitten just like you'd burp a human baby Hold them in an upright positon against your shoulder and pat them on the back. Do not overfeed kittens, since this can cause diarrhea and a host of other problems.

If you're feeding multiple kittens, you'll have better luck with them eating the required amount if you feed them each several times, taking turns. Feed the first kitten until it stops nursing, feed the second, etc. Then go back to the first and repeat this round-robin. Usually after 2 or 3 nursing turns, a kitten has had enough for one feeding. That's the way I did it when I had my four anyway.

Also, if mom has enlarged nipples, the kits may just be beginning weaning. Here is a page on that:
http://www.kitten-rescue.com/weaning.html

You can tell whena kitten is ready for the weaning process when it tends to bite its nipple often and forcefully and is capable of licking formula from your finger. The next step is to get the kitten to lap up formula from a spoon. Once they've mastered that, try putting it in a flat dish.

Then try mixing the kitten formula with baby food into a gruel and try to get the kittens to lap it up from a dish or a spoon. Chicken Baby Food is good tho any meat flavour will get their attention. :) I have heard to include NO onion - never thought about it myself at the time. Some kittens grasp the concept right away; others take days. Continue bottle feeding while weaning to make sure they get enough to eat. Reduce bottle feeding as their solid-food consumption grows. If you give dry food, moisten it, because kittens canít chew dry food well until they are about 8 weeks old.

This are two kitten rescue sites http://www.kittenrescue.org There is also http://www.kitten-rescue.com/ - they probably explain all this better than me!! I hope I have not overwhelmed you!

Good luck! You are a kitten angel!

Princesss04
April 16th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Well guys we made it through the night. LOL :D I am one tired sleepy mommy. :D They are playing in their litter box right now. LOL :D Justin had to go get a hair cut this morning than he is pickin up some kitten milk. The dogs seem to be doing good with them. I did not figure we would have any problem. They are using the liter box on their own. They will lick milk off your finger. And they are learning to lick it off a spoon and saucer. Maybe they are a little bigger than I thought. Thanks CyberKitten for all that help you are wonderful. I appreciate you all SO MUCH! :D I keep you posted. Justin seems to be okay with this and seems to like them. He says they look like little cotton balls. They are so furry.

One question how do I tell if they are boys or girls. If I can find it under all that hair. :D

Lucky Rescue
April 16th, 2005, 09:16 AM
It is NOT your fault you hit the poor cat. It's the fault of whoever cared so little for her that they left her out there.:(

One died, but now thanks to your kind heart, two will live happy lives!

Princesss04
April 16th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Lucky have you noticed that my house gets more and more animals in it. This is why I could not work at a shleter full time I would bring them all home. I think he might let me keep them. He likes them as well. Is there anything I can do for the ones eye until the vet can see him on Monday? :D

Lucky Rescue
April 16th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Since you dont' know what's wrong with the kitten's eye - could be rhino, or infection - just gently clean the gunk off with a cotton ball moistened in warm water.

Princesss04
April 16th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Okay will do Lucky the vet will see them on Monday! :D

Jackie467
April 16th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Thank you so much for taking these kitties in. I know you feel bad about hitting mama but you shouldn't (I know no matter how many people tell you that you'll still feel bad). once my boyfriend and I were drving this long winding country road (no street lamps) and we hit a baby racoon. well i completely lost it and we pulled over to see if there was anything we could do. well the poor thing was still alive and having spazems or seziurs or something and making this horrible noise. I was bawling my eyes out. well we decided we had to put it out of it's misery, I mean it was bad, real bad. so we went to the neighbors (we all know eachother of course because this is a town of about 600 people) and asked to borrow a gun then I stayed there because I couldn't bare to watch and my boyfriend went back to put it down but by the time he got there it was already dead. I felt so bad the poor thing was in so much pain, I wish we could have done more for it. we shoveled it off the road and buried it off to the side, I couldn't just leave it there.

Princesss04
April 16th, 2005, 02:00 PM
I know what you mean Jackie. I always feel bad when I see anything dead on the road. This was the first thing I have even hit before. Justin told me I am not allowed to hit anything with babies again. LOL Our house is filling up fast. LOL It is okay though they are all so sweet. I had forgot what it was like to have kittens in the house they are so sweet. When they lay on your lap and go to sleep in a little ball. I love that. :D

Shamrock
April 16th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Princess, I just wanted to also agree that its certainly NOT your fault :grouphug:. It's just very tramatizing emotionally at first, no doubt. I wont even "look" at any possible road kill... I have to turn away.
Kudos to you for saving these babies. From something bad, something good comes. :angel:
They may not have been the woman in the house, but clearly she didnt care about them or their fate.
Someone may have dumped mom and babies off at this location - their new "county home".
I wish you the best of luck with these little ones.

chico2
April 16th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Princess,you did really good,taking these little guys in,I just hope there is not any more out there :sad:
Hitting an animal,would really traumatize me,so far I never have but it can certainly happen and does,the result is on the side of the roads..
But maybe something good came out of it,you are now blessed with 2 kittens :thumbs up I think you needed some anyway :D
Give Justin a big hug for wanting to keep them :love:

Shamrock
April 16th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Puppyluv.. I can truly feel the emotional trauma this horrible event of hitting the dog on the country road brought you. Though I have never had this dreadful experience.. I know that it really causes anguish, and is something that you never forget.
It wasnt YOUR fault. Who left these poor dogs out loose to BE hit?? The poor things.

However, am I reading correctly- that you didnt stop? I'm afraid this idea is "really" bothering me... the idea of an injured and suffering animal.

Was the dog killed instantly? Did the SPCA emergency attend to assist?
I am not sure if the laws vary - but aside from compassionate grounds, here one is required by law to stop for a dog that you have hit.. but not a cat.. :sad: This has never mad any sense to me. Is a cats life worth less? :sad:

I just wondered if you ever found out the outcome?

Princesss04
April 16th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I think the black and white one is a girl (two holes) and the gray and white one is a boy (one hold) I think anyway! :eek: They are so furry I can not hardly tell. LOL I feel like I am violating them! :eek: :D But that is what I can tell so far. I will have to have someone look better for me that knows what they are looking for. :D Anyway the both look differant so I just have to figure out which one is a boy and which one is a girl. :D

greaterdane
April 23rd, 2005, 04:49 PM
However, am I reading correctly- that you didnt stop? I'm afraid this idea is "really" bothering me... the idea of an injured and suffering animal.

Was the dog killed instantly? Did the SPCA emergency attend to assist?
I am not sure if the laws vary - but aside from compassionate grounds, here one is required by law to stop for a dog that you have hit.. but not a cat.. :sad: This has never mad any sense to me. Is a cats life worth less? :sad:

I just wondered if you ever found out the outcome?

I was wondering the same thing. I dont think I could live with myself knowing that the dog could have still been alive.

Sheesh I almost jumped out of my car yesterday in a busy intersection to save a RAT! I quickly changed my mind when the thing hissed at a car pulling up to it. Very scary thing, it was the size of a jack russel!

BEAR_NZ
April 24th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Hi Princess, we are just going through the same thing as you! on the week of Easter a cute stray cat started visiting our home, and was so sweet we could not help but feed her and cuddle her...she kept on visiting all week... and on the morning of Good Friday my husband looked out the kitchen window and saw her coming out of the bushes with something in her mouth... and that something was a tiny 2 day old kitten, who we have named Bella. Bella turns 5 weeks tomorrow. We have taken both Momma Cat, and Bella in, they are our little miracles who chose us to live with...we didn't choose them. Since momma cat did not have alot of milk we had to dropper feed Bella with Vetinary Baby milk,learn to eliminate her urine and bowel movements, then when she turned about 2 and a half weeks we took her to the vet to have a check up. He de-wormed her and checked for fleas... and advised us to mix with the vetinary milk some solids. We chose some fairly natural kitten tuna that had no nasty additives, and we also mixed a couple of drops of safflower oil to the "mush" as well as warm water to ensure that Bella got lots of nourishment from the oil (full of essential fatty acids) and lots of water to stop her getting dehydrated.it was awful when Bella was first introduced to solids and when she learnt how to lick... at first the poor little darling just could not get the hang of it and kept inhaling food as she tried to eat and then sneeze.We helped her the best we could, and now she has got it!!! She has grown so so fast!
I agree with Cyberkitten. you are an angel. It is hard work bringing up kittens!but it is so so rewarding. As for hitting the mother cat in the car... you poor thing. you would have been so traumatised and devastated. But accidents like this are completely out of your hands... and they happen. You are beautiful for taking on the mother role, since momma cat can't.
As for the eye problem, get the vet to check it out. We have had a kitten before with a weepy eye and it was prescribed eye drops and it cleared up like magic. Sometimes weepy eyes and snuffles can be associated.