Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Water in crate?

Gripenfelter
April 15th, 2005, 02:29 PM
How much water should I be leaving with with my pup in his crate?

Right now I've leaving 1/4 bowl of water as per my breeder's recommendatio. She said any more than that and he will pee in his cage.

Usually when I let him out he goes and pees first and drinks about 1/2 cup of water.

He's 4 1/2 months old and 64 lbs. Its 68 degrees in the house.

Beetlecat
April 15th, 2005, 03:45 PM
How long is he in the crate for? Until my dog was housetrained I never left any water for him when I wasn't around. Apart from the possibility of him overturning the waterdish, I decided it would be better for him to be a little thirsty rather than have to hold it for too long.

heidiho
April 15th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I did not leave water in the crate either.

raingirl
April 15th, 2005, 04:29 PM
after seeing how thirsty Odin was after 8 hours...I couldn't not leave water with him. What I did was freeze a large cube and stuck it in his dish...

Princesss04
April 15th, 2005, 04:33 PM
That is a good idea Raigirl. My dogs are never in a crate that long so I do not leave water in there because Chino have a thing with water. If there is water any where near him he will dump it and roll and play in it. If we are going to me gone a long time I might but they are never in there more than a few hours. :D

Lucky Rescue
April 15th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Dogs should not be deprived of water. If a dog is being left in a crate so long that it's forced to urinate, it's being left too long.

Gripenfelter
April 15th, 2005, 05:18 PM
We usually leave a few ice cubes which he gobbles up overnight. I guess we'll just keep doing that.

He doesn't pee in his crate without water. Thought he would with water.

heidiho
April 15th, 2005, 05:28 PM
I never left him in the for long periods of time...I would not crate him for8 hours and not give him water..

mafiaprincess
April 15th, 2005, 06:35 PM
There are bowls that attatch to the crate door of crates, airline style or wire. They are like 6-10 bucks at Petsmart. They just screw on. That way they can't be dumped.

db7
April 15th, 2005, 06:54 PM
The buckets that hang inside the crate are great. Mind you, my girl won't drink in the crate when she is locked up. i guess hse's planning ahead. :angel:

Beetlecat
April 15th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Dogs should not be deprived of water. If a dog is being left in a crate so long that it's forced to urinate, it's being left too long.

I don't know if I exactly agree with this. It makles sense, but doesn't quite gibe with my personal experience.

I kept track of when my pup drank because I knew that in about 20 minutes I'd have to take him outside or risk him peeing in the house. Other pups might be different, but if I had left him in a crate with water he probably would have felt the need to go 20 minutes or so after he drank it, and that's not too long in a crate. He wouldn't have gone, since he was a clean pup, but I know how horrible it feels to have to hold it and I didn't want the hours to crawl by for him with feeling all that pressure.