Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

citronella collar

raingirl
April 15th, 2005, 12:07 PM
We tried this on Odin at training classes last week because he was being a stinker (long story). Anyway...for the last few days he has been super behaved on leash and not barking at all (I think he thinks he has it on when we are walking outside...since I do training everywhere).

So...I was thinking of buying one. His barking at home while we are there is getting a little out of control, now that the weather is nice. We have tried making loud noises to distract him, shaking a can with pennies in it, if it's a bump on the wall, we make the same sound to show him it's ok. With the nice weather, we have the windows open and he is barking at EVERY sound outside that he can hear (we live beside a train track so and he barks at the trains, the kids at the park, someone is building a deck today so he is barking at the saw...). He won't stop barking!! Every few seconds he is barking. At least he only does it when we are home, because he just sleeps when we are gone. He barks so much that I can't possibly distract him everytime!! And to tell you the truth, it's starting to hurt my ears and make me very unhappy. Right now he is literally on the floor lying down at my feet, and barking about every 4 seconds at the drill/saw outside!

The trainer agrees that the collar would be a good purchase. However, they cost $90 new!!! Anyone know a good place to get one?? Or does anyone have one they don't use that we can buy??

***Opps! I thought I posted this in the general catagory...maybe a mod can move it!***

Lucky Rescue
April 15th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Here's a link that give information on how to train your dog to stop barking, and also gives instruction on the correct use of a citronella collar.

Barking (http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/noise.htm)

raingirl
April 15th, 2005, 12:36 PM
great link. I am going to do some reading!

Prin
April 15th, 2005, 02:17 PM
The vet I used to work for used to rent them for $20 and all you had to do was buy the citronella. Maybe check that out.

Might work on him, but I know on big dogs, they tend to bark out all the citronella quickly so they can get on with their day without getting hosed.. :p

Daisy's Owner
April 15th, 2005, 02:25 PM
That's a great link. Thanks so much for posting it.