Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

can you make special requests at groomer??

raingirl
April 15th, 2005, 08:33 AM
We are taking Odin to the groomer tomorrow morning (bath, nails cut, anal glands done). Can you ask them to use your special shampoo instead of theirs (we have special allergy shampoo for Odin)? Also, would it be inappropriate to ask them to wash his tail really well (as he gets poop stuck in his fur there?). Last time we forgot to ask about these things.

savannah
April 15th, 2005, 08:36 AM
I don't think it is inappropriate to ask for those requests. It is understandable, and i would do it without any hesitation. If they give you grief over it (which i doubt the would) then i would find a new groomer.

BMDLuver
April 15th, 2005, 08:41 AM
We have one of our adoptees who brings her shampoo with her to the groomeers. It's oatmeal based and her Rottie reacts to several other shampoos. They should not mind at all at the Groomers. I think many people do this.

raingirl
April 15th, 2005, 08:50 AM
I'm going to put it in writing too, just in case the reception person forgets. It's like sending him with a doggy bag to the groomers. We send him with his own treats (so they don't feed him theirs) his own shampoo, his own toothbrush!

Trinitie
April 15th, 2005, 08:58 AM
No dog is the same and the groomer should realize this. If your dog is using a special shampoo then by all means bring it. Also, if the groomer isn't cleaning the tail properly, bringing it to their attention is not inappropriate in the least. You're paying for a service and that service results in a clean dog. If he's not 100% clean, then they're not 100% done with him! Plain and simple.

Eleni
April 15th, 2005, 09:03 AM
I agree let them know if they arent doing it the way you want it.

with sam i found the last time he went they diddnt trim his face up well enough, and asked them if they could finish it up a bit better, and they did without complaint

Eleni

SnowDancer
April 15th, 2005, 10:51 AM
I can't see why it would be a problem. If it is, go to another groomer or go to someone with more experience. The lady I take my Eskie to has been in business for 25 years. Some people bring their own shampoo to the hairdresser for the same reasons - they just can't expect the same "shine" that comes from professional use only products. The only time I have heard a bit of a disturbance at the hairdresser's is when a client wanted a discount for bringing her own shampoo/conditioner. The tail should be perfectly clean. My Eskimo is only trimmed up every 3 months but he is sparkling clean when done - and he has quite the tail.

goldenblaze
April 15th, 2005, 10:55 AM
You are paying for this service, most groomers would rather you tell them how you want the dog cut, plus if you want to bring anything like shampoo that should never be a problem.

Many people don't say enuogh then don't like the cut blame the groomer.. not fair. Ask away , they will thank you for that. :)

Princesss04
April 15th, 2005, 11:15 AM
I think you should do this. I would think they would like for people to tell them what the want. I mean that way as long as they do it than the people have no reason to get upset! :D So yes tell them all you want and leave a note with them as well. :D

Eleni
April 15th, 2005, 11:23 AM
another similar question,

do you stay with your dog?? Ive heard bad stories about groomers and was scared to leave sam alone at the groomers, so I always stay there so I know whats happening to my dog.

but I always get the feeling im looked at as a pain in the butt owner by stayign there and watching

Eleni

raingirl
April 15th, 2005, 11:29 AM
We aren't allowed to stay, but they have a window we can look in.

Odin is going to have quite a day tomorrow. Morning going to the dog park, the off to the groomers, then off to the vet, then he gets to relax outside all day while we fix a friends garden at their new house.

SnowDancer
April 15th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Sure hope Odin doesn't like to garden. Elmo the Eskimo likes to "help" - especially if dirt or snow or mud is involved - or a combination of all 3 is even better. Our groomer runs a separate operation right behind our vet's - and her premises are divided by a wall with a half gate - one side carries high quality food, accessories toys - and the other is where the grooming takes place. You can't watch but she does treat the animals very well - they aren't hanging from chains - I frequently hang over the gate to get hugs from the dogs waiting to be groomed or there for socialization and I can see them in their tubs. Some dogs are just so well behaved - sit there as if glued to the tables - my dog is not one of them. Hope all goes well there and at the vet's - and that Odin is still clean after.

snooks
April 15th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I take my own shampoo just because I like it the best. It's no problem for my grooomer at all. :crazy: I don't stay and watch Sashka getting groom because she won't listen to the groomer if I am in sight. But I have dropped by and watched them groom other dogs.
Like every other place my dogs go, I checked it out carefully before they went. My dog walker got checked, the doggie daycare got checked, the vet and the groomer. :thumbs up Maybe I'm a little nuts, but before I leave the beasts anywhere, I want to know what goes on.

savannah
April 15th, 2005, 12:45 PM
The first time i took my dog to the groomers, we stayed and watched through a back window that looks right into their shop. As much as i like the job our current groomer does, i do want to look into one where they come to our house. We have to leave my dog at the groomer for a couple of hours, and most of the dogs are roaming around inside while they wait for their turn. I get scared that a dog might hurt my dog (by accident or intentional). Does anyone know of such a groomer in the GTA?

Prin
April 15th, 2005, 01:21 PM
do you stay with your dog?? Ive heard bad stories about groomers and was scared to leave sam alone at the groomers, so I always stay there so I know whats happening to my dog.
If it is a cat, they will let you stay because cats are better with their owners around but dogs are so bratty and needy when the owners are around, no offense to anyone but it's true. When a dog feels he can't get away with anything because he doesn't know the groomer well, he is much better behaved.

And no, it is not at all bad to ask these extra things. If you give them cheap walmart shampoo instead of their "deluxe spa doggy shampoo" you may get funny looks, but if it's a scent or a hypoallergenic one, no worries. And the tail thing- I would expect them to be thorough anyway, but you can through that in for sure.

Safyre
April 15th, 2005, 06:39 PM
My Aunt groomed dogs for years ... alot of her clients had special requests such as the ones you have listed. its not a problem. Groomers love your animals just as much as you do!

Safyre
April 15th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Sorry, didn't read everyons posts before responding.
Eleni - If you feel you have to stand there and watch, maybe you're not choosing the best groomer. Your groomer, just as your vet, needs to be someone you trust.
I agree with Prin, dogs act horrible when thier owners are around, sometimes, when other people are around period. There was one dog my Aunt groomed, this opinionated Schnauzer, he wouldn't behave unless it was just him and her. if anyone else was in the room, he got snippy! (this is probably the reason I dislike schnauzers)

SnowDancer
April 16th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Savannah, You can always ask the groomer to keep your dog caged before and after grooming - many people do. My dog goes to socialization at his groomer's in the GTA once a week so plays with the dogs waiting to be groomed. This is good for him as he needs the socialization and the dogs are supervised. Of course there is always the risk of some aggression, but it is less likely than when Mommy is watching. Actually I worry more just walking down the street. Our groomer is also located in same building as our vet so if anything should happen - accidental or my pup just plain get sick - immediate medical attention would be available. If a groomer came to our house, Prince Eskie would no doubt have the Zoomies.

savannah
April 18th, 2005, 09:05 AM
My groomer is also located right beside my vet in Etobicoke, and they are such wonderful ladies that work there! I a such a worrier, that is why i worry about my dog getting hurt when she goes there. When i pick her up, she is always waiting behind the counter, like she just wants someone to take her out of there. It breaks my heart.
I am just one of those neurotic dog owners, who is over protective of my dog. And as much as i like our groomer, i do want to find one who will either:
a - work on my dog as soon as she gets there (some co-workers get that as their dogs are not in the best of health - and the groomer agrees to do it right away - no crating etc)
b - come to my home

Lissa
April 18th, 2005, 09:32 AM
I hope that it is not unfair to post different questions under this thread... Anyway, I have never once in my life taken my dogs to a groomer. They have mostly been shorthaired dogs so I never thought that it was necessary. What do groomers do!? I always assumed that they gave dogs bathes and clipped them??? Do they do other stuff? Are shorthaired dogs supposed to visit a groomer? Sorry if these are dumb questions!!

Melissa

goldenblaze
April 18th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Lissa,
Not a dumb question, all groomers do different things depends on what you want for your dog. Jordie my shih tzu goes to his groomers about every 10 weeks, she gives him a bath, clips his hair, pulls hair from eyes cuts his nails. Some do glands, I ask her not to do his as he has no problem so no need to start doing them...it makes them weak and then they must be done. My groomer doesn't brush their teeth, don't know any that do.. I don't stay with him he is a real baby and it would be worse for all of us if I stayed... Jordie is good with her as she has always been his groomer he is 4.5 yrs old. I trust her and would go no where but her. :thumbs up

raingirl
April 18th, 2005, 09:53 AM
our groomer does everything. Anal glands, nails, washing, drying, brushing teeth.

SnowDancer
April 18th, 2005, 10:01 AM
We didn't need a groomer with Beagle and Dachshunds - but with the Eskimo a different story. Fortunately grooming is only needed every 3 months - he gets trimmed up a bit around the ears, tail, rear end etc. and a really good bath. Since his hair does not curl and Eskies don't get pet clips - or something fancy - it is just basic. Nails actually are clipped every couple of weeks - gets it done when in for socialization. Eskie nails do not wear down on the street. Teeth are not brushed though. We gave him a bath at home yesterday, but I don't like to use my hair dryer on him. He doesn't like it and as I am hair dryer challenged I don't want to burn his delicate tummy. Takes him forever to dry because of the double coat though. Nothing like a wet dog deciding to lean next to you to dry. One of few characteristcs of the breed that proved true is that Eskies really don't have much of a dog smell - but when they are wet, wet dog is wet dog. If I were to stay and watch and the groomer's he would carry on. If he is playing with the other dogs behind a wall, he smells me the minute I come in and starts his "hello" - but is having a good time until I arrive. I also am very careful where I leave my dog. Actually this is the first dog I have ever boarded - and he is boarded with one of the groomers who also worked at the vet. She also loves him and he loves her - actually prefers her to my husband.

glasslass
April 18th, 2005, 07:47 PM
I used to have all kinds of problems with groomers. They would always use a finer blade than a #10 on the face and the result would be razor burn. I would insist they use a #10 and they would say no problem and again, he'd be razor burned. I finally learned how to do it myself and have done my own grooming for more than 20 years. I don't own anything but a #10 blade and have never burned my baby.