Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

things your dog didn't get?

raingirl
April 14th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Ever have a dog that had something that he just wouldn't get??

Like, you trained him with everything you know, and he did so well, but there was one thing that no matter what you did, it was something the dog just didn't get?

I think that has happened with Odin. We have been trying for 5 weeks to get him to "stand" and he just doesn't get it. We have tried basically everything. It's actually quite cute because he will try a few different things to see which we want, usually "down" first, then a few attempts at "paw".

What things have you had trouble with your dogs and training?

tenderfoot
April 14th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Do you want some help with the 'stand'?

raingirl
April 14th, 2005, 01:35 PM
haven't decided yet. it's not the most important thing in the world to know. It's nice if he did know it because his tail gets irritated easily, so we have to wash his bum a lot. Usually he stands for that though, but sometimes he sits down.

I've decided to devote a large amount of time to training stand this week, and will discuss with out trainer next week.

vivilee
April 14th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Just keep at it...your dog will eventually get it, it just takes time. Sometimes they do know what you want but they don't feel like doing the command--although golden's tend to be very obedient.

The important thing is to be consistent with the tone of voice, and the hand signal--do it the same way every time and then as if by magic she'll get the command.

Writing4Fun
April 14th, 2005, 01:58 PM
My sister's dog just won't roll over, no matter what she does. Our trainers told her that it's because of how his body is structured. He's so long & lean that his front end goes over, but his back end stays put. When you let go of the front to roll the back end over (because he's so long she actually has to move to reach his back end), he just brings the front back to where he started. My sister has decided it's not that important to her! :D

snooks
April 14th, 2005, 01:59 PM
:evil: Both evil animals seem to think that means move to a pillow, get under covers, etc.
Sorry couln'd resist that one. Sashka doesn't seem to ever want to do "sit" from a distance. We do it just fine as long as I can still reach her and she always does it the first time, but put just a little more than distance and she becomes deaffor this one command

tenderfoot
April 14th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Okay, just let me know. It really shouldn't be too tough to teach - it only takes minutes usually. I am sure your trainer will know what to do.

raingirl
April 14th, 2005, 04:06 PM
roll over! Yeah. I remember trying and trying to teach that to my friends dog, but he would get most of the way over, and then go back the same way! we tried for years!!!

Odin actually rolls over quite well and even not on command anymore. Sometimes when we ask him to stand he will rollover instead as well.

Prin
April 14th, 2005, 06:20 PM
I tried to get Boo to pretend to sleep but he refused to close his eyes. Jemma, who is so much harder to train, got it on the first try.

Eleni
April 15th, 2005, 07:19 AM
i have a long list with sammy,

our biggest concern is working on manners, jumping , mouthing, licking

that kinda stuff

he has sit down 98% of the time, and he doesnt pee or poop inside.
ocassionally he steals one of the kids toys.

however his housetrainign went so well ive been kind of taking my time with the training and tackling 1 thing a week like sit, then the next week I did lay down. now we are working on stay

Eleni

tenderfoot
April 15th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Eleni,
Sammy might just surprise you if you challenge her to learn more & faster. It is actually more fun for her and keeps things interesting if you mix things up a bit. If you just work on sit for a week she could get bored. But if you can teach the sit, down, scoot, up, stand, and stay in a day then you have more to keep both of you entertained and connecting.
Sammy is very capable of learning very quickly. It would be like me teaching you how to use a copier but I only taught you one button a week - you could do so much more and have it down completely in a day or two if I just kept practicing with you and taught it all.

Writing4Fun
April 15th, 2005, 01:29 PM
...teach the sit, down, scoot, up, stand, and stay...
Silly question (and a little OT :sorry: ), but what is "scoot"?

tenderfoot
April 15th, 2005, 01:33 PM
What's OT?
Scoot is crawl on your belly - it sounds silly ,but it is actually handy if you hike. We tell our dogs to scoot under fences or logs that they can't go over or through.

Writing4Fun
April 15th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Oh! Makes sense, now that you described it. We used "crawl", but it wasn't really drilled so Phoebe just looks at me like I've grown another head when I ask her to do it. :p

"OT" means "off topic". :)

Eleni
April 15th, 2005, 01:40 PM
oh maybe thats the trouble,

i was going slowly so not to overwhelm him, but i do think he probaly gets bored too.

i got the book dog whisperer from the library, havent had time to read it but i plan n some 1 on 1 time with sam this weekend without the kids, so we can concentrate

Eleni

Prin
April 15th, 2005, 02:29 PM
What's OT?
Scoot is crawl on your belly - it sounds silly ,but it is actually handy if you hike. We tell our dogs to scoot under fences or logs that they can't go over or through.
We actually just pass them over... All 96 and 62 lbs... never thought of using crawl there. ;)

tenderfoot
April 15th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Ouch! I do not want to have to work that hard - I have hiked too many miles to be lifting 5 dogs over obstacles. Kudos to you for your upper body strength!

Eleni
April 15th, 2005, 03:28 PM
wow not sure i would be willing to lift 92 lbs

luckily sam wont get too heavy at all hehe

how did you teach scoot? sam crawls on his belly to hide under the couch when we are playing, so im guessing its a trick he would love to learn.

Eleni

Prin
April 15th, 2005, 03:41 PM
My boyfriend lifts the big guy-- my max is 79 unless I have an adrenaline rush. The most I ever lifted in a dog was a 106lb diabetic yellow lab. With 5 dogs you should have great upper body strength from carrying all those bags of food. :p

tenderfoot
April 15th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Its quite simple - you put him into a down, get down on the ground with him, then touch your finger to the ground (you can use a food lure - but don't give it to him as a reward) just in front of his toes and as he reaches for it to investigate you say "scoot" in a happy tone. If he moves 1 cm in the right direction (without getting up) you praise. If he gets up to see what is so fascinating, then you say no, and ask for the down again and start over. Each time he should move more and more - as you point at the ground just in front of him - until you have him 'scooting' aross the floor. Eventually you should be able to just point to the ground and say "scoot" and the dog will crawl on his belly - great for cleaning tile floors too!!
Then you can take it outside and work with fences and logs.

K9-Advantix
April 24th, 2005, 01:42 PM
lol I TRIED training my Cairn Terrier, lol but, lets just say, it kinda backfired on me! LOL The only thing I WAS albe to teach my dog was Wheres the door, When he whants outside I say, Wickett wheres the door? And he jumps up and down and touchs the doorknob with his nose, thats the only REAL trick he knows, that and he can catch a ball really good, lol but thats not really a trick, He never really did get house trained ether, lol I mean he IS but, If he has to go really bad instead of letting us know he just go's in the house, I dont get it, Like I said, It backfired!